MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Sports > Detroit Lions Draft 2013

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Detroit Lions Draft 2013  (Read 665 times)

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
Detroit Lions Draft 2013
« on: January 22, 2013, 07:31:01 AM »

The Detroit Lions have the following picks in the 2013 NFL Draft:

1st Round (#5 overall)
 2nd Round (#36 overall)
 3rd Round (#68 overall)
 5th Round (Assigned)
 6th Round (Assigned)
 7th Round (Assigned)

The Lions have traded the following 2013 NFL Draft picks away:

4th Round (Tahir Whitehead / Travis Lewis – 2012 NFL Draft)

Round 1: Bjoern Werner DE -

Bjoern Werner - Florida State - Official 2012 Highlights

Round 2: Eric Reid S/CB -
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEgw59-FSIM

Round 2:Kevin Minter LB -

Kevin Minter vs Florida 2012

Round 3: Tyrann Mathieu KR/CB -

YouTube

Round 5: Kenjon Barner RB -

Kenjon Barner #24 - Who Gon Stop Me!

Round 6: Ricardo Allen CB -

Ricardo Allen (PURDUE) Ultimate Highlight

Round 7: Brandon Coleman WR -
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc8QWAVE0Nc

Denard Robinson talked with the Lions and just because I think he is an outstanding team player and terrific youngman I hope we see him in a Lions uniform next season.  I believe he is honest and serious about his desire to play DB in the NFL and with his speed, soft hands and elusiveness I would give him a serious, serious, look.  (Then again, I could be looking at it this way because I truly like this kid and think he is a special talent).  If you can get him in the third of fifth round I say go for it.  I don't know how far he will slide but he missed the first contact sessions at the Senior Bowl due to his elbow.  I have seen draft projections for Denard as high as second round (CBS Sports) and as low as 5th round (ganggreen nation).  I think this puts him in play for the Lions and hope that they will give him consideration. 
"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
Re: Detroit Lions Draft 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 07:37:45 AM »

They definitely need to put focus on the defensive side of the ball.....in the secondary as well as LB.

Dennard.....yup, he has the speed, character, and dedication but I'm not certain he has the height and jumping ability to cover the trend of big receivers in the NFL.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

Billy

• Hero Talker
  • Don't let the smooth taste fool ya!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 08:36:53 AM »

Agreed. They're gonna need a DE especially if Avril leaves. They have rookie Ronnell Lewis who was pretty decent at Oklahoma but all indications are that's what they're after in the first round. In my mind they need help at LB and DB also. That being said they'll probably take a receiver.

FritzTheKat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 08:44:41 AM »

In my mind they need help at LB and DB also. That being said they'll probably take a receiver.

No, thank God Millen's gone!
I could be Schrodinger's Kat!

Collegekid

• Hero Talker
  • Doing the impossible makes us mighty.
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 11:58:25 AM »

I would love to see Denard in the NFL, but I just don't see a long career for him. People hit hard in the league, and he's injury prone.

He can't catch, and as a DB, it would be quiet a learning curve, which would put him a year or two behind. Not worth a top 5 round pick.

As a returner, he'd get hurt and not have value. Maybe as a specialty back on pitches and tosses to get to the corner, but even then the injury thing pops back up.
http://daveherndon.blogspot.com/

You believe in life after death, I believe in death after life

I swear it upon Zeus; an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.

- Socrates

Non Illegitimati Carborundum

"Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they are going to collapse. But the very best know the mind tires before the body and push themselves further and further, beyond all limits. Only when these limits are shattered can the unattainable be reached."

Billy

• Hero Talker
  • Don't let the smooth taste fool ya!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 12:45:03 PM »

Glad he's done at U of M. And I like the kid I'm just not sure he's got what it takes to play in the NFL.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 07:37:53 AM »

I love my Lions!  Our Superbowl - AKA the Draft is coming!
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 02:27:29 PM »

LMAO......Excellent!
Support the local economy as much as possible!

FritzTheKat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 02:34:29 PM »

Ah...the truth hurts!
I could be Schrodinger's Kat!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 03:39:36 PM »

The hiring of Brian Xanders from Denver should make the draft more interesting, his success at player evaluation is much better than anyone in the Lions organization.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 04:13:59 PM »

I think you are going to find out WCF decides who they draft.  It's been the same old thing for 53 years and everything has changed but him.

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 09:53:09 AM »

I think you are going to find out WCF decides who they draft.  It's been the same old thing for 53 years and everything has changed but him.

So . . Matt Millen could have been a great GM . . it's just that WCF wanted nothing but WR's. . . nah, just kidding - I think your correct on this assessment.  I wish you were wrong but I don't think you are. . . :-( . .

"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 09:56:56 AM »

Xanders track record on drafted players is pretty good

I'm pretty sure they brought him in to clean up that "side" of the organization.
Talk radio speculates that Jr. may have had a hand in this hire to "help" in this area.

His recent track record shows he and his scouts can do a better job of finding players that will contribute...  32 of 35 players making the roster is much better than anything the Lions have done with later round picks...

===================================================
With the Lions, Xanders will be involved in college and pro scouting. During his GM term with the Broncos, 32 of 35 drafted players and 13 undrafted rookies made the opening day roster.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22467272/brian-xanders-broncos-gm-detroit-lions#ixzz2Jke5mMPc

In 2011, with the assistance of the college scouting and pro personnel departments, Xanders navigated the 2011 offseason that lacked organized team activities and acquired 19 newcomers that made the opening-day roster and helped Denver capture its first AFC West Division title in six seasons. Two of those newcomers—running back Willis McGahee and linebacker Von Miller—made the Pro Bowl,
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/01/28/lions-hire-brian-xanders-as-senior-personnel-executive/
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 10:13:39 AM »

WOW . . . . that's a heck of a track record - thanks for sharing Prof. . . gives us "hope"!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 10:31:45 AM »

Xanders has a good track record but sometimes it's good to be lucky too.  Willis McGahee was as big a risk as the Best draft pick.  McGahee had badly damaged knees.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up