MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Fire at LaPlaisance and I-75 Marathon Station

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fire at LaPlaisance and I-75 Marathon Station  (Read 761 times)

monroemuskrat

• Hero Talker
Fire at LaPlaisance and I-75 Marathon Station
« on: February 17, 2013, 07:01:42 PM »

Does anyone know about the fire involving a van at the Marathon Gas Station on LaPlaisance Road at Exit 11 on I-75?  Apparently it happened about 3:15 a.m. on Sunday, February 17.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
Re: Fire at LaPlaisance and I-75 Marathon Station
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 07:19:10 PM »

Does anyone know about the fire involving a van at the Marathon Gas Station on LaPlaisance Road at Exit 11 on I-75?  Apparently it happened about 3:15 a.m. on Sunday, February 17.

My oldest daughter and her husband saw it on their way home...  I thought she told me around 2:45 but I suppose the time isn't critical.  I just stopped and looked at it and took some pictures...  but all I had was my cell phone and it didn't trip the flash with the canopy lights already on so not sure how they'll turn out.  I'll post them here when I have time to upload them...  or if you want them sooner I can email them to you...  just send me a PM!

The center set up of 3 sets of pumps on the north island is the worst so must have been where they were fueling from but the other 2 pumps on that island are damaged pretty bad too.  Lots of smoke under the entire canopy but right where the van was parked it blistered the paint!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 07:29:55 PM »

They were intending to go in there for a bite to eat at Taco Bell so they went across the road to McDonald's instead and their receipt is timed 2:43!!!

She says the middle pump is diesel so they probably weren't using that pump to fuel up!

monroemuskrat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 07:32:46 PM »

I wonder why the MEN didn't mention it, of course, I shouldn't be.  The photos I saw show a significant amount of damage.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 07:34:57 PM »

I wonder why the MEN didn't mention it, of course, I shouldn't be.  The photos I saw show a significant amount of damage.

Deadline time for the MEN for Sunday is very, very early.  It may make it into tomorrow's paper!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 08:10:34 PM »

I never noticed they had a RedBox out there...

lucky it didn't burn too 8* 8* 8*

I guess the pictures didn't turn out too bad just for my phone :o :o :o

monroemuskrat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 08:14:51 PM »

Great photos, I wonder if anyone was hurt.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 08:21:09 PM »

Great photos, I wonder if anyone was hurt.

I was sound asleep...  I leave the scanner on at night and some nights I listen to it for what seems like all night...  other nights I don't hear a word...  and last night I didn't hear a word so didn't know anything about it until she called me this afternoon to ask about it!

So then of course tonight I just had to drive by to look to see how bad it was.  I wish now I would have taken a picture of the underside of the canopy.  They may be able to power wash part of it clean but I'll bet the part directly over the fire will have to be replaced.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 08:53:06 AM »

They didn't have a suppression system it appears...
curious if it was started in the pumps, or if the vehicle was involved?
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 09:53:08 AM »

They didn't have a suppression system it appears...
curious if it was started in the pumps, or if the vehicle was involved?

The center pump was the one with by far the worst damage and my daughter says that is a diesel pump.  As you know it's much more unlikely to have a fire with diesel (but by no means impossible) so I'm thinking the van caught the pump on fire. 

According to the MEN article below they don't know who the van belongs to (I'm sure they do by now) so maybe with the time of morning it happened and all the driver decided it was best just to 'walk away' quietly 8* 8* 8*

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2013/feb/18/early-morning-fire-destroys-van-fuel-pumps/?police-and-fire

Looks like a full sized Ford van and not too old so I guess it could have been a diesel engine...

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 10:23:40 AM »

It could have been a "sobering" experience!

Most people don't know that pumps have emergency shut off's and the product won't do like in the "movies"... and blow up.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 10:47:42 AM »

It could have been a "sobering" experience!

Most people don't know that pumps have emergency shut off's and the product won't do like in the "movies"... and blow up.

First place I remember the emergency shut off switches was in Florida...   a little dinky way, way, way out in cow country 'Circle K' station they were installing new pumps in...   and the red emergency button about 4" in diameter mounted on the front of the building.  I thought that looked like a neat idea and wondered why they didn't have them in Michigan...  or in most of the other stations in Florida either.  Must have been a new law then for new stations and retrofits :o :o :o

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 01:18:12 PM »

First place I remember the emergency shut off switches was in Florida...   a little dinky way, way, way out in cow country 'Circle K' station they were installing new pumps in...   and the red emergency button about 4" in diameter mounted on the front of the building.  I thought that looked like a neat idea and wondered why they didn't have them in Michigan...  or in most of the other stations in Florida either.  Must have been a new law then for new stations and retrofits :o :o :o

The codes require them - they are supposed to be in the area where the cashier/attendant is for "Self-serve"... and they must either be able to see all the pumps or have monitoring camera's that allow them to see. 

Not many if any full service stations around are there?

Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 01:26:01 PM »

The codes require them - they are supposed to be in the area where the cashier/attendant is for "Self-serve"... and they must either be able to see all the pumps or have monitoring camera's that allow them to see. 

Not many if any full service stations around are there?

Joe's Standard on S. Monroe Street...  does he sell gas there even?

Pages: [1]   Go Up