MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > The college degree is the new high school diploma for many businesses

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The college degree is the new high school diploma for many businesses  (Read 3742 times)

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
Re: The college degree is the new high school diploma for many businesses
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2013, 03:15:04 PM »

$22-Hr.: What The Minimum Wage Should Be in 2013

$22-Hr.: What The Minimum Wage Should Be in 2013
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
John Stuart Mill

Willful ignorance, PaTROLLing, bullying, dishonesty, and hypocrisy are among the traits that are common amongst those that espouse the Republican/Conservative/Tea Party ideology.

A non-response doesn't mean you've won, it merely means the obnoxious, illiterate, right-wing morons have taken too much of my time already.

April 11, 2008
"French Fry, please come back."
Dan Shaw (Managing Editor at Monroe Evening News)
That's right. Still the only one invited to be a member of the forum so suck it up jealous fools.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2013, 03:22:02 PM »

How about 50 an hour?  Why not 100?

Why the heck not?

That will help fire up inflation.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2013, 09:17:40 AM »

So a fair, livable minimum wage that would alleviate much of the burden of food stamps and welfare is just ludicrous? $22 might as well be $100? Your math skills appear rusty! 

excelsior

• Hero Talker
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2013, 11:49:49 AM »

The net effect of a 22 dollar/hour would be increased unemployment of low skilled workers.

"The beginning of wisdom is a definition of terms." ~ Socrates

"No rational argument will have a rational effect on a man who does not want to adopt a rational attitude." ~ Karl Popper

"A rising tide lifts all the boats." ~ President John F. Kennedy

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2013, 09:01:39 AM »

Frenchfry and Monique, my math skills are pretty sharp.

So, where are employers going to get the money to pay this $22.00 an hour?

When I was a little boy, my mother spoke of a prophecy, of a time when all the world would be covered in darkness and the fate of all of mankind would be decided. One night I finally got the courage to ask my mother why God had changed, why He was so angry with His children. “I don’t know,” she said as she tucked the covers around me. “I guess He just got tired of all the bullshlt.”

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2013, 09:32:26 AM »

So a fair, livable minimum wage that would alleviate much of the burden of food stamps and welfare is just ludicrous? $22 might as well be $100? Your math skills appear rusty!

My math skills are probably far more advanced then yours.  Would you like to start playing the game where we compare advanced degrees again?

Just because you legislate a "fair, livable wage" doesn't mean employers will pay it.  What will happen is those who aren't worth it will get no job, and those that are worth it will get to work even more hours.

This is going to happen anyway due to the ACA bill. 

Just another one of those unintended consequences of bad legislation, but then some don't pass legislation based on thought and logic.  Some pass legislation based on ideology and fairness, and pretend that businesses will somehow change their model and a utopia will break out.

That is not going to happen.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2013, 11:59:49 AM »

Frenchfry and Monique, my math skills are pretty sharp.

So, where are employers going to get the money to pay this $22.00 an hour?
My math skills are probably far more advanced then yours.  Would you like to start playing the game where we compare advanced degrees again?

Just because you legislate a "fair, livable wage" doesn't mean employers will pay it.  What will happen is those who aren't worth it will get no job, and those that are worth it will get to work even more hours.

This is going to happen anyway due to the ACA bill. 

Just another one of those unintended consequences of bad legislation, but then some don't pass legislation based on thought and logic.  Some pass legislation based on ideology and fairness, and pretend that businesses will somehow change their model and a utopia will break out.

That is not going to happen.
I see you as a habitual liar MN...which may be why I consider you as the single largest factor in the loss of participation on this site...so go ahead and continue your boasts...whether they are just high opinions of yourselves or something else that requires professional help...I have serious reservations about everything you utter.

In his State of the Union address, President Obama called on Congress to raise the federal minimum wage to $9 an hour, from $7.25. A month later, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi upped the ante, pushing for $10.10 an hour in three years. Both of those proposals were pooh-poohed as politically impractical and economically suspect. But maybe Obama and Pelosi were actually lowballing the raise we owe low-wage workers.

How high should it go? Here's Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) at a Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee hearing last week, speaking to University of Massachusetts economist Arindrajit Dube:

If we started in 1960 and we said that as productivity goes up, that is as workers are producing more, then the minimum wage is going to go up the same. And if that were the case then the minimum wage today would be about $22 an hour. So my question is Mr. Dube, with a minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, what happened to the other $14.75? It sure didn't go to the worker.

Dube agreed, then upped the ante again. If the minimum wage had kept pace with the rise in wealth by the top 1 percent of taxpayers, he added, it would have reached $33 an hour in 2007. Nobody, of course, is arguing for a $33-an-hour minimum wage, and Warren isn't even pushing for $22 — she just wants a bump to $10 a hour. But where did the $22 come from, and does it make any sense?

The actual number is $21.72, and it comes from an analysis by economist John Schmitt at the Center for Economic and Policy Research. That's only one of the numbers he churns out to argue that "the minimum wage is too damn low." In real dollars, the minimum wage peaked in 1968. If that had been linked to inflation (CPI-U), the minimum wage would be $10.52 an hour, and if you look at how the minimum wage fared against the average production worker wage, it would be $10.01 today. But the most egregious imbalance is productivity.

Between the end of World War II and 1968, the minimum wage tracked average productivity growth fairly closely. Since 1968, however, productivity growth has far outpaced the minimum wage. If the minimum wage had continued to move with average productivity after 1968, it would have reached $21.72 per hour in 2012 — a rate well above the average production worker wage. If minimum-wage workers received only half of the productivity gains over the period, the federal minimum would be $15.34. Even if the minimum wage only grew at one-fourth the rate of productivity, in 2012 it would be set at $12.25. [CEPR (PDF)]
However you look at it, Schmitt says, "by all of the most commonly used benchmarks — inflation, average wages, and productivity — the minimum wage is now far below its historical level."
http://news.yahoo.com/case-22-hour-minimum-wage-103000070.html
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
John Stuart Mill

Willful ignorance, PaTROLLing, bullying, dishonesty, and hypocrisy are among the traits that are common amongst those that espouse the Republican/Conservative/Tea Party ideology.

A non-response doesn't mean you've won, it merely means the obnoxious, illiterate, right-wing morons have taken too much of my time already.

April 11, 2008
That's right. Still the only one invited to be a member of the forum so suck it up jealous fools.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2013, 02:44:48 PM »

I see you as a habitual liar MN...which may be why I consider you as the single largest factor in the loss of participation on this site...so go ahead and continue your boasts...whether they are just high opinions of yourselves or something else that requires professional help...I have serious reservations about everything you utter.

Is that why you haven't been around?

I am always happy to have a reasonable debate with anyone.

I do abhor the name calling.  I don't think I am alone with that.  Perhaps that is why participation is down.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2013, 08:21:22 PM »

I see fry just called MN a liar, instead of answering my question.

Typical leftie... Divert attention, instead of answering a logical question.
When I was a little boy, my mother spoke of a prophecy, of a time when all the world would be covered in darkness and the fate of all of mankind would be decided. One night I finally got the courage to ask my mother why God had changed, why He was so angry with His children. “I don’t know,” she said as she tucked the covers around me. “I guess He just got tired of all the bullshlt.”

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2013, 04:38:10 PM »

With colleges producing more graduates, and youth unemployment at a sky-high 11.5 percent, even landing a job selling Big Macs is getting competitive.

Consider: A job opening at a Massachusetts McDonald's restaurant for a full-time cashier requires one to two years experience and a bachelor's degree.

"Get a weekly paycheck with a side order of food, folks and fun," offered McDonalds.

It is not clear if the fast-food restaurant really wants that kind of experience or is fishing for the highest-qualified applicants. The website for the Winchedon, Mass., McDonald's also lists jobs in Spanish.

Youth advocates said the ad is proof of how bad the employment situation is for kids. "Sadly we've taxed-and-spent our way to an economy in which there's intense competition for just about any job. Combine that with government meddling in the student loan market that has artificially inflated the cost of higher education and young people are getting screwed over even worse than the country overall," said Evan Feinberg, president of the Washington-based youth advocacy group Generation Opportunity.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/mcdonalds-want-ad-demands-bachelors-degree-two-years-experience-for-cashier/article/2526145

I did not make that up.  I am not imaginative.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2013, 11:34:36 PM »

Is that why you haven't been around?

I am always happy to have a reasonable debate with anyone.

I do abhor the name calling.  I don't think I am alone with that.  Perhaps that is why participation is down.
Well you've had the place all to yourself for quite some time now....and made a mess of it....that should tell you something...but it won't.

The bottom-line...defecating everywhere you please has had consequences...and the harm you conservatives have caused to the forum is contrary to the pro-business stance of the right...but then most stances from the right are ill-conceived anyway.

I've seen your type before...habitual liar...can't believe anything coming out of your mouth...maybe that's why the general opinion of you is lower than the approval polls of the members of Congress.

But it's sort of ironic...you're disliked for your lies....and I'm disliked for being too truthful.  :-\

For the record...I wouldn't say that you alone deserve the credit for my absence around here...although when I saw you devoting every available waking hour on the forum to spread your right-wing ignorance so I felt that in the interest of those that may care about you...(big assumption there)...that perhaps your addiction is adversely affecting them...and if I stayed away, you'd eventually come to your senses (Again a big assumption)  ;D 

That's the sugarcoated version.

In the interest of self-preservation to remain a forum member and maintain some sense of civility, I'll end there.
John Stuart Mill

April 11, 2008

excelsior

• Hero Talker

This story does not address the return on investment of college education, but shows the job growth is going to college graduates.

The College Grad Recovery Continues
more at:  http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/05/the-college-grad-recovery-continues/275541/

The April jobs report reminded us of what we had forgotten. The recovery is the same in 2013 as it was in 2012 as it was in 2011 as it was in 2010. The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates the economy added 165,000 jobs the past month, and another 114,000 in upward revisions to past months. As Justin Wolfers points out, that gives us an average of 196,000 jobs a month so far in 2013, compared to 225,000 in 2012, and 194,000 in 2011. It's pushed unemployment down to a four-year low of 7.5 percent.

But as disappointing as the recovery has been, it's been even more disappointing more people who didn't graduate from college. It's been nonexistent. As you can see in the chart below of workers 25 and older, college grads are the only group that has net added jobs in the past five and a half years.

"The beginning of wisdom is a definition of terms." ~ Socrates

"No rational argument will have a rational effect on a man who does not want to adopt a rational attitude." ~ Karl Popper

"A rising tide lifts all the boats." ~ President John F. Kennedy

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker

U.S. colleges: degrees in drones

An increasing number of U.S. colleges have been offering bachelor degrees in drone piloting and engineering to students, while dozens more teach courses on UAVs. Starting salaries in the field are much higher than comparative jobs, like helicopter and commercial jet piloting. RT's Anastasia Churkina reports on the trend, while controversy over drone use inside the U.S. grows.

U.S. colleges: degrees in drones
John Stuart Mill

April 11, 2008

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker

Mounting Student Loan Debt: Is College Education Worth It any More?

Mounting Student Loan Debt: Is College Education Worth It any More?
John Stuart Mill

April 11, 2008
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up