MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Is a higher sales tax the way to go to fix Michigan roads???

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is a higher sales tax the way to go to fix Michigan roads???  (Read 1114 times)

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
Re: Is a higher sales tax the way to go to fix Michigan roads???
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 07:48:49 PM »

Your Randy Richardsville at work, Monroe County.  Good call on reelecting him a time or two.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 08:33:10 PM »

These politicians are all alike.  When they need to fix something the first step is to raise taxes.  What about looking at reducing waste to free up some money...

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 12:59:17 PM »

So they raise the gasoline tax and screw everyone even more and they raise the diesel tax and truckers bypass fueling stops here for other states (I know I used to do it all the time btw).

We live close enough to Ohio to buy fuel there (I do, all the time).

I get my smokes in Ohio too.  In fact, other than food, we get everything there.  Lucas County has an insane sales tax rtae (I think it's 6.5%) so Ohioians buy their groceries in Michigan but not their gas or smokes....

Snyder's mindset reminds me of Obama, on a smaller scale.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 08:23:40 PM »

So they raise the gasoline tax and screw everyone even more and they raise the diesel tax and truckers bypass fueling stops here for other states (I know I used to do it all the time btw).

We live close enough to Ohio to buy fuel there (I do, all the time).

I get my smokes in Ohio too.  In fact, other than food, we get everything there.  Lucas County has an insane sales tax rtae (I think it's 6.5%) so Ohioians buy their groceries in Michigan but not their gas or smokes....

Snyder's mindset reminds me of Obama, on a smaller scale.

Not fair.

Snyder actually has an agenda.

Snyder actually ran on his agenda and has been successful at implementing it.

Snyder actually has budgets - and lives by them.

I am not seeing the similarities Flip.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 08:12:56 PM »

Similarities, you want similarities....  Think of a big screw slowly turning through your wallet.....

Obama promised 'Hope and Change'  We are in a hopeless morass right now on all fronts and I have less change than 5 years ago and Snyder wants what I've got left.

All Snyder has to do is address 2 issues.  One, where the overweight fines in Michigan go to (hint the library) and not the roads and two, address the largely dysfunctional road comissions in the state, neither of which he'll do because it's stepping on cronies.

Michigan is the only state (in this part of the country that has road comissions) and all the other states have better roads on the same (and even less) funding.  Don't take a rocket scientist to deduce the road comission deal is a fiasco and has been for the last 40 years.  Prime example, MCRC.

In retrospect I think I shuld have voted for Virg Benero.  IMO, Snyder and Feinstein could be twins and I can't stand either. ...... he's a 'nerd' allright, nerd with a 'T'.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 09:10:04 PM »

So why not go down to your local meeting of the Monroe County Commissioners and ask them to disband the Road Commission?

My understanding is the State recently gave them the ability to do so - a change that took place under Snyder.

The problem is all of our County Commissioners are useless politicians who are afraid to take on the responsibility.

Instead we will pay the Monroe County Road Commission to do what .....  embezzle money last time I checked.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 09:12:14 PM »

Every county in Michigan has a road comission btw.  Some good some bad and some are like the MCRC.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2013, 09:13:34 PM »

So why not go down to your local meeting of the Monroe County Commissioners and ask them to disband the Road Commission?

My understanding is the State recently gave them the ability to do so - a change that took place under Snyder.

The problem is all of our County Commissioners are useless politicians who are afraid to take on the responsibility.

Instead we will pay the Monroe County Road Commission to do what .....  embezzle money last time I checked.

Thats hard to do.  They announce the mettings via the MEN on the day of the meeting....  They don't want anyone there.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2013, 09:14:58 PM »

Yes - but the state recently said you don't HAVE to have one - the County Board of Commissioners can take over the function.

A law you can thank the Republicans and Snyder for.

The fact that no one has taken them up on the deal....  that is another issue.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2013, 09:17:42 PM »

http://www.co.monroe.mi.us/government/departments_offices/board_of_commissioners/index.html

It is a published meeting timing per the Open Meetings Act.

I am sure the agendas are on the Website.

Complete waste of time in my opinion, but one can try.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2013, 09:18:22 PM »

Yes - but the state recently said you don't HAVE to have one - the County Board of Commissioners can take over the function.

A law you can thank the Republicans and Snyder for.

The fact that no one has taken them up on the deal....  that is another issue.

oooops wrong button.....

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2013, 09:20:36 PM »

The county Comissioner are no better INO.  Another depository for cronism.  Haven't ypu noticed that Monroe politics is a revolving door.....

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2013, 09:34:21 PM »

I have noticed that.

You know what REALLY pisses me off about the local roads?

None of the local communities are willing to do anything about them.

I live in the city you dislike - and I pay a higher tax millage rate then many.  We spend money on fixing roads in the city each and every year.  We may not be keeping up with what we need to do - but roads do get repaired.  I am personally OKAY with paying a higher property tax millage to keep the cities infrastructure up.

Most townships on the other hand REFUSE to levy a millage to repair roads.  They want the county to do it.  They want the states to do it.  They want magic federal money.  They want the money to come from someplace else - but not from them.

I have come to the conclusion that the roads aren't going to Miracle themselves into better shape.  Plank Road won't be passable in another 5 years or so - the edges of the road are sinking into the ditches.  Something needs to be done.

So - my preference would be the townships levy a millage, get some matching monies from state / feds, and get it done.  If they can't do it the County should do it for them - for the communities that aren't already doing it like the City of Monroe. 

Since that can't happen - Snyder is trying to get SOMETHING done.  Do I like paying more taxes?  No way.  I already pay higher taxes to maintain my local roads.  However - Snyder is recognizing that the Townships and Counties are not getting off their *** to help themselves....  and trying to get it done.

Now you can look at it in one of two ways.  You can be pissed at him for wanting to raise taxes - I can understand that thinking - or you can say AT LEAST HE IS TRYING TO GET SOMETHING DONE.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and give him credit for trying to get something done where all of the other politicians have punted the problem down the road of decades.

Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2013, 10:49:16 PM »

He should have just kept his mouth shut......

Go play with Dave Bing.....

So they impose a higher sales tax and you add the 2.5% Obamacare tax, pretty soon. the tax is as much as the goods you buy....  Then what?

Don't worry, when you retire, Snyder will be tagging your retirement for retirement tax too.  Lousy turd.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up