MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Policy questioned after nurse refuses to do CPR

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Policy questioned after nurse refuses to do CPR  (Read 1009 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
Policy questioned after nurse refuses to do CPR
« on: March 05, 2013, 06:12:56 AM »

Ok, the title is already misleading because we've heard since that the person who called was not even a nurse. 

It seems this is only an assisted living facility and their contention is since they don't provide any other type of medical care then they also are not going to allow any of their staff to even attempt to do CPR on a resident.   

They do seem to be 'safe' on the legal line for no liability this way but are they going to fare as well in the 'human decency' discussions...  I'm thinking not!  And now the local LE is investigating if perhaps they violated some law by refusing to do what they could.

The odd thing is the daughter seems fine with all this...   I wonder how much she stands to inherit from Mom's estate 8* 8* 8*

http://todayhealth.today.com/_news/2013/03/04/17180861-policy-questioned-after-nurse-refuses-to-do-cpr?lite
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Re: Policy questioned after nurse refuses to do CPR
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 08:31:57 AM »

As a medical professional - I am sad the liability aspect has taken CPR out of some workplaces. 

Assisted living homes don't provide medical care - and in fact if you need such care beyond taking medications,you often must leave.   They don't generally take medicare, medicaid or government assistance - so they don't fall under federal regulations as nursing facilities do. 

It is sad that employers feel they have to make rules to protect from liability, and that seems the issue here.   

There is no law that mandates CPR.
An AED (automatic external defibrillator) would have been a good alternative, as if their was a viable rhythm  to shock time is important there as well... 

We shouldn't condemn the family for not showing an interest in a lawsuit.   The resident was well cared for - and allowed to live in her semi-independent state to the age of 87.   
It is a personal matter to every family to decide if/when the time comes do you wish to have all forms of life support attempted or not. 
Every time an elderly person enters a medical facility these questions are asked of the family.

This was mostly about liability - and as we all know people are lawsuit happy as it even arises in this discussion from the "Media"...

Even though most states have "Good Samaritan Laws", they could be challenged - or don't specifically cover places like assisted living facilities (apparently) or the management wasn't prepared to carry that liability.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Baggins

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 12:13:28 PM »

I've been certified for first aid, CPR, and the AED through the Red Cross since 2003, and keep up on my certifications...A little knowledge can save a life, even though thankfully I've never had to put it in practice.
"Praise not the day until evening has come,
 A sword until it is tried,
 A maiden until she is married,
 Ice until it has been crossed,
 Beer until it has been drunk!" - (Viking proverb)

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 12:32:04 PM »

Whether it's true or not I heard on one news broadcast last night that there were no nurses at the facility.

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 12:39:59 PM »

I don't want anyone to do CPR on me!!  If it is my time - it's my time.  DNR!!!

I am ready to meet my maker!  Are you?

Baggins

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 01:28:10 PM »

I have too many more people to piss off before I go yet... ;D
"Praise not the day until evening has come,
 A sword until it is tried,
 A maiden until she is married,
 Ice until it has been crossed,
 Beer until it has been drunk!" - (Viking proverb)

Flanders

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 02:31:19 PM »

Ok, the title is already misleading because we've heard since that the person who called was not even a nurse. 

It seems this is only an assisted living facility and their contention is since they don't provide any other type of medical care then they also are not going to allow any of their staff to even attempt to do CPR on a resident.   

They do seem to be 'safe' on the legal line for no liability this way but are they going to fare as well in the 'human decency' discussions...  I'm thinking not!  And now the local LE is investigating if perhaps they violated some law by refusing to do what they could.

The odd thing is the daughter seems fine with all this...   I wonder how much she stands to inherit from Mom's estate 8* 8* 8*

http://todayhealth.today.com/_news/2013/03/04/17180861-policy-questioned-after-nurse-refuses-to-do-cpr?lite

No.

The phone was handed to a nurse (although not employed in that capacity) and the daughter was not fine with it. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 02:45:19 PM »

No.

The phone was handed to a nurse (although not employed in that capacity) and the daughter was not fine with it.

I'm sure a lot more details will emerge on this situation...   

I've seen 3 or 4 articles though and all said the daughter was satisfied with what the people at the facility did...  interesting...  that may change a few things :-\ :-\ :-\

Flanders

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 02:54:45 PM »

I'm sure a lot more details will emerge on this situation...   

I've seen 3 or 4 articles though and all said the daughter was satisfied with what the people at the facility did...  interesting...  that may change a few things :-\ :-\ :-\

"Last week, shortly after Bayless' death, the family said they were satisfied with the care she received, according to KGET.

"I never said I was fine with that," daughter Pamela Bayless told CNN Monday before hanging up the phone. "That was completely taken out of context, and I have no further comment.""

I thought I included the link, oops.

Here it is.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/04/health/california-cpr-death

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 03:03:19 PM »

I don't want anyone to do CPR on me!! If it is my time - it's my time.  DNR!!!

If that is your intent then you need to take several steps to make sure it actually happens the way you want it to go.

1st:  talk it over and explain it to all of your children plus anyone else you may spend a significant amount of time with. 
2nd:  read over the info below...  print out the forms and get them signed by your doctor and by you and then witnessed...  preferably by at least one of your children and have them note after their name as a child.  It's also great if they put cell phone contact info there.
3rd:  get one of the DNR bracelets and wear it!!!
4th:  keep the paperwork where it is accessible.  Probably make a few copies so you can keep one set with you...  one in your car... one at home!!! 

Plus, I know you travel quite a bit so you might want to research the state requirements for wherever you might be visiting.

As a former Emergency Medical First Responder we absolutely HAD TO START emergency resuscitation if there was not some solid evidence immediately at hand to alert us.

I know you go to Ohio regularly...  when I have some time I'll check their requirements. 

I know when I went to St. V's for my stent procedure they accepted my Michigan Medical Power of Attorney with no questions asked. 

Info at:  http://www.michigan.gov/mdch/0,4612,7-132-2940_3183_4895-19875--,00.html

Form at:  http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdch/Do_not_resuscitate.policy_298357_7.pdf

I'm not sure where to get the bracelets...  I see them online but I would think most pharmacies would carry them or be able to get one...  I think the Home Health Care place on N. Telegraph has them.

OR...  you can go with a tattoo...

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 03:06:04 PM »

"Last week, shortly after Bayless' death, the family said they were satisfied with the care she received, according to KGET.

"I never said I was fine with that," daughter Pamela Bayless told CNN Monday before hanging up the phone. "That was completely taken out of context, and I have no further comment.""

Wow...  very interesting...   I questioned how a daughter could be comfortable with the way it was handled!  Thanks for the link.  This is one of those stories I kind of want to see what happens 3 and 6 months from now.  Unfortunately they don't seem to stay in the news unless they're local!

Here it is.

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 03:26:15 PM »

I have all the paperwork done and my kids all know and are in agreement.  I don't have anything in my car or the motorhome though.  Hmmm, a bracelet . . . I might look for one.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 03:50:13 PM »

Only if she is hot!
Support the local economy as much as possible!

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »

It was very difficult for us siblings to order the DNR for my sister when she was in the hospital. She was too young to go, but her illness had taken too much from her. We had no choice.

Still awful.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 06:14:17 PM »

Here it is.

I'm sure the public airing of the Mother's death wasn't something the family was "happy" with...

I'm also sure that now they have attorneys calling all the time with their services being offered...  (ambulance chasers)

The media blew this way out of proportion.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up