MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Anyone know what's going on at the old armory on S. Dixie

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone know what's going on at the old armory on S. Dixie  (Read 4342 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Anyone know what's going on at the old armory on S. Dixie
« on: March 05, 2013, 06:58:06 PM »

Looks to me like the same company that owns some local pharmacies has purchased it.  They're working on it today too.  I'm guessing if they're going to use it for a pharmacy they're going to demolish the 2 buildings that are there :-\ :-\ :-\

Hopefully someone has read or heard something ??? ??? ???

I took a couple of pictures...  I'll post them after I get them uploaded :D :D :D
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Anyone know what's going on at the old armory on S. Dixie
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 07:08:27 PM »

They're not the best...  all I had with me was my cell phone and it was starting to get a little dark so the shutter speed was kind of slow.

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 08:04:41 AM »

I had a chance this morning to sort out some of the info on this. 

Grice's Hometown Properties purchased the site on 3-16-2012 (almost a year ago) for $171,500 from the State of Michigan and the Department of Military and Veteran's Affairs.  For some reason I can't get my cut and paste to work so you'll have to trust me on that info until I can paste a copy.

Grice's (also shown as Grices) owns other pharmacy sites in Monroe and all over Michigan.  Other than the 'new' HomeTown Pharmacy on N. Monroe St. they're known locally as Village Pharmacy.  And there is one about 100 yards from this site so makes sense they'll probably be moving it over there.  So, not really an additional pharmacy in town. 

http://www.hometownpharmacy.com/LocationsList.html

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 08:59:21 AM »

Do you know yet if they're doing demolition? I've always thought that building is lovely--very strong lines. I've only been inside once, as a small child, so I don't recall the interior. Sure seems like it could be put to good use rather than torn down. But that was said about Christiancy and Lincoln schools, too.  :-\

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 09:14:03 AM »

Do you know yet if they're doing demolition? I've always thought that building is lovely--very strong lines. I've only been inside once, as a small child, so I don't recall the interior. Sure seems like it could be put to good use rather than torn down. But that was said about Christiancy and Lincoln schools, too.  :-\

I remember being in there one time too...   seems like it was for a home and garden show of some sort...  anyone remember if the Homebuilders ever did their show there.  I remember the long haul up all the steps too...   The layout of the building would make it tough to do much with unless you did a major upgrade...  which would probably cost more than tearing it down and building something else. 

Just looking at their pile of dirt and the size of their excavator I don't think they're just doing a raised garden ;) ;) ;)

And the one time I was in there I do remember a very cute young lady that caught my attention a couple of times while I was walking around.  Could that have been you by some chance ;) ;) ;)

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 09:31:36 AM »

And the one time I was in there I do remember a very cute young lady that caught my attention a couple of times while I was walking around.  Could that have been you by some chance ;) ;) ;)
It's true I was an adorable child! LOL Coulda been me if you were in there around 1970-71ish. Big dark eyes, black curly hair, full tilt attitude? ;0)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 10:15:49 AM »

We didn't move here until '84 so you would have been a little older by then...

so it was probably the other cute young lady from Monroe :P :P :P

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 10:25:40 AM »

;D ;D ;D  My facebook profile has a pic of me from 1984 that I just put up earlier today. I was still cute even then. ;0)

FritzTheKat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 10:35:02 AM »

too true
I could be Schrodinger's Kat!

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 10:38:38 AM »

I have great memories of that building . . . my Dad was the 1SG with 156 Sig Bn for a long time.  I even served with 156 for about four years. 

Right after my time at the Community Center ended I had some conversations with Rep. Ebli about trying to get the building and turning it into a community facility (had a terrific gym and stage with a full kitchen downstairs). 

Sad to see if go if they tear it down. 
"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 11:28:35 AM »

Like father, like daughter!!!

My youngest just sent me this picture...   and she had no idea about this thread either ;D ;D ;D

This is from this morning:

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 11:50:14 AM »

Looks like Li'l Dawg has a nicer camera!  ;D

Monique

• Hero Talker

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 12:24:16 PM »

Looks like Li'l Dawg has a nicer camera!  ;D

That was from her new Windows OS phone...  not sure what brand or model though.  I noticed the file name on the picture started with WP...

I knew it was getting kind of late last night to be taking pictures with my phone but for whatever reason didn't have a camera with me.  I guess I get a little careless when I have the phone to fall back on!!!

She's working near there so I've asked her to keep us updated on what is happening!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 01:00:12 PM »

Here's the copy and paste from the Register of Deeds website:

Monroe, MI

Land Records Search Document Detail

2012R05022 QUIT CLAIM DEED 03-16-2012 13:28:49 $171500.00 4 pages

Parties
STATE OF MICHIGAN GRANTOR
DEPARTMENT OF MILITARY AND VETERANS AFFAIRS GRANTOR
MICHIGAN DEPARTMENT OF MILITARY AND VETERANS AFFAIRS GRANTOR
GRICES HOMETOWN PROPERTIES GRANTEE
GRICE'S HOMETOWN PROPERTIES GRANTEE

Subdivisions
MONROE TOWNSHIP B: L: OL: P:
SOUTH MONROE TOWNSITE BLOCK B B: B L: 1 OL: P: LIBER 6 PAGE 25
SOUTH MONROE TOWNSITE BLOCK B B: B L: 2 OL: P: LIBER 6 PAGE 25
SOUTH MONROE TOWNSITE BLOCK B B: B L: 3 OL: P: LIBER 6 PAGE 25
SOUTH MONROE TOWNSITE BLOCK B B: B L: 21 OL: P: LIBER 6 PAGE 25
SOUTH MONROE TOWNSITE BLOCK B B: B L: 20 OL: P: LIBER 6 PAGE 25
SOUTH MONROE TOWNSITE BLOCK B B: B L: 22 OL: P: LIBER 6 PAGE 25

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up