MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Monroe History > The armories of Monroe over the years

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The armories of Monroe over the years  (Read 8487 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
The armories of Monroe over the years
« on: March 06, 2013, 09:05:10 AM »

Since Monroe has a definite military history from the battle at Frenchtown through the recently celebrated involvement in the Civil War and beyond...

Obviously the still standing (at least of yesterday...  see thread at:  http://monroetalks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28237.msg605762;topicseen#msg605762 ) most recent armory on S. Dixie at Military street is the one most of us here remember.

I know there are several photos of one that was almost downtown...  I believe on Washington street near where the jail is now...  but not positive on that.  Maybe Mayonnaise can fill in the details for that one. 

I've read about a 'stockade' that was on the north side of the river near Monroe street but wonder if there were additional dedicated military type facilities anywhere else in the city or county over the years. 

Please exclude the Nike base since we've had several threads on that.  I guess we should try to get them all pulled into the history category too.

Here are some pictures of the old armory:

Hmmm....  not sure why the 2nd one won't copy and paste...  here's the link to the page though...  there's a photo of Washington Street looking south toward where the Custer Statue would be placed in a couple of years too.

http://genealogytrails.com/mich/monroe/gallerymonroe.html

And here's the link to the one picture that did copy:  http://antiqueshopsinmichigan.com/monroe/monroe_county.htm

And the 2 pictures I took of 'present' armory last night:

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: The armories of Monroe over the years
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 04:02:53 PM »

Here's the article from the MEN...

some history and the future plans for the site:

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2013/mar/06/pharmacy-raze-armory-store/
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 09:11:42 PM »

I wish I was able to attend more township meeting and found out about this. Oh well, probrobly not much could be done to stand in the way of progress.

I remember my dad taking me there in the 70's to watch live wrestling shows. Bobo Brazil, Dick the Bruiser and other's. Then we would go down to the food stand (in front of Craft's 2000) I can't remember what it was called then and we would meet and talk with the wrestlers.
---------------------------------------------------

So a pharmacy is planned to go in there.... This town needs another pharmacy like it needs more pizza places.
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 06:06:39 PM »

We drove by there this afternoon and they have started tearing down the very south wall of the garage next to the Armory itself.  Looks like that wall is built right on the property line so they're having to take it apart block by block working from the inside of the building.  Probably no heat and no or very little asbestos in that building to worry about.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 03:14:14 PM »

Sorry to see a perfectly good building being demolished like that.
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 10:52:47 AM »

Drove past there last night...  the garage/storage building on the south side of the armory is completely gone.  They had the excavators right in front and it looked like they had been tearing away at the front steps.  The front steps is kind of what I remember most about the building :'( :'( :'(

When they start in actually tearing it down I'll either get a few pictures myself or depending on schedule I may be able to have youngest daughter snap a few and email me!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 08:02:53 PM »

We stopped there tonight and I got out and took some pictures.  There were others there doing the same thing.  I wouldn't be surprised if they start in on the main building in the next day or two.  I did get a few pictures, but I'll have to post them later or even tomorrow.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 06:07:39 AM »

The Blade website has an article on the demolition of the armory this morning.  Some interior photos but unfortunately they have their photos protected from copy / pasting so you have to go to the page to see them. 

I had forgotten that the interior was painted 'Monroe Green'...  that same color green is in the basements of half the houses in Monroe built before 1950.  Maybe that would make a good topic on our history thread too ;) ;) ;)

A side building has been undergoing a slow knockdown for a little more than a week.

“We have been trying to minimize the dust and debris that would cover the neighborhood if we took it down too quickly,” Brian Cataldo, company owner, said.

Part of preparing the main structure for demolition is removing all metal and other salvageable objects from inside the building to be sold at scrap auction. One item that didn’t have to go to auction was the flagpole, which was bought by a local resident who stopped by after he saw the construction crews.

“I didn’t get his name, but he said it would mean a lot to him, that the place had a lot of memories,” Mr. Cataldo said.
Read more at http://www.toledoblade.com/Real-Estate/2013/03/25/Crews-dismantle-Armory-in-Monroe-for-demolition.html#14qtwXCwr0vPVSQJ.99

The rest of the article at: 

http://www.toledoblade.com/Real-Estate/2013/03/25/Crews-dismantle-Armory-in-Monroe-for-demolition.html

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 08:48:16 AM »

I guess I can post these now...  eriemermaid 'solved' the Where are we post with one of the pictures!!!

Pictures from yesterday:

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 06:49:21 PM »

We stopped by there tonight and took some more pictures.  They were finishing ripping the stairs off the front.  They said they're going to start tearing down the building tomorrow morning :'( :'( :'(

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 11:58:30 AM »

We stopped there last night and the only major thing I saw different from the night before was they had a big hole dug down where the front steps were.  Probably some deep footings there! 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 05:49:18 AM »

Still no more activity on the armory demo...  and haven't heard any reason.  The day I talked to the operators and workers onsite they were actually working 'late' so they'd be ready to 'start' demo the next morning...  and that's been over a week!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 07:12:20 AM »

When someone says you can find history everywhere in Monroe...  they're not just kidding.  We were at a funeral yesterday at the Stewart Road Church of God.  We were probably halfway through the service and I happened to be looking around while there was some music playing.  As I looked to my left and down I happened to see stenciled on the back of a folding chair in the row ahead of us...  in bright red letters no less:  MONROE ARMORY.  I did take a picture of the chair but the light was dim and I had to use some zoom to keep from getting a picture of the backside of the gentleman occupying the chair...  photo didn't turn out very good...   after we returned from the cemetery for the luncheon I did go back to try to get another picture of the chair and check to see if I could see a manufactured date on it...  it was one of the oldest looking chairs there but obviously had held up well over the years. 

If any of our posters (or lurkers) attend Stewart Road keep an eye open for that chair...   I'm guessing that where there is one there may be more...  maybe several.  I'd like to have a less blurry photo to use!

After I started posting in this thread and discussing the history of this armory with friends I discovered that the parents' of a friend had their wedding reception at the armory back in the 1950s.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 08:40:58 PM »

Well they started tearing down the armory today...  they got all of the 'gym' area down. 

Looks like they'll get the front section down tomorrow...

I got some pictures...  I'll try to get time to upload a few of them tomorrow morning!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 06:32:36 AM »

Here are a couple from yesterday I took with my cell phone...  we went back later and took some more later in the evening with a 'real' camera but I haven't even looked at those yet!  I took the video camera too but they were done for the day when I got back with it.

This is the south side of the building and what is already down would be the gymnasium area I believe. 

This is the north side...  the waiting to be used to fill the 'hole' pile of sand hides most of the remains at this point.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up