MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Monroe History > The armories of Monroe over the years

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The armories of Monroe over the years  (Read 8482 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: The armories of Monroe over the years
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 07:11:18 AM »

I got the card out of my 'real' camera and looked over what I took last night...

this one is by far my favorite photo of the day...

I'm open to a 'catchy caption' on this one...

I'll dedicate this one to Monique and all the other 'teens' of Monroe that went there to enjoy whatever events over the years.  Maybe if we were building more places like this rather than tearing them down our teen 'stock' would have a brighter prospect 8* 8* 8*

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 07:26:32 AM »

One more from yesterday then I'm going to take the video camera and go down and see what's happening today.  They should get most of it 'down' today it looks like.

When you were dancing or even walking around in the gym did you ever wonder if the place was built solid enough to hold all those people...

I can say they just don't build 'em like they used to...

These are the steel I beams that were under the floor...  they only got a couple out yesterday but there must be a couple of dozen of these...  no Chinese steel there!!!

I don't know it that's a large drink cup sitting on top... but these are massive!!!

I need T-M-T or someone else that can come up with good song lyrics here...

"they tore down the armory and put up a pharmacy"...   heck, it even rhymes already!!!

Joni Mitchell Big Yellow Taxi
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 07:02:11 AM »

When I was there taking pictures Tuesday I saw Kim Brent from the MEN there with camera in hand and her bag of lenses over her shoulder...  she was quite busy taking pictures and you can see some of them here. 

The only thing that concerned me is she had some shady looking guy hanging around with her ;) ;) ;)

http://monroenews.smugmug.com/Other/Armory-Demolition-Continues/28961302_b8FhVG#!i=2462320196&k=7MxWKBL

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 07:31:15 AM »

When I drove by there last night the front of the building was still standing.  They're still working on the back doing clean up of the gym area.  They did get some more of those massive I-beams out too!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 08:59:10 AM »

BRD,

Have you had a chance to swing by Stoker?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 09:29:20 AM »

Not in the last week or so but my wife is off today and we're going to town later and I already have the camera and the vidcam in the car so will prioritize that ;) ;) ;)

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 09:33:57 AM »

Not in the last week or so but my wife is off today and we're going to town later and I already have the camera and the vidcam in the car so will prioritize that ;) ;) ;)

Thanks!
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 09:01:02 PM »

Thanks Evening News!

Very sad though....

Armory Tumbling Down
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 06:27:35 AM »

Thanks!

I'll reply in the Stoker thread!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 07:54:28 AM »

One more from yesterday then I'm going to take the video camera and go down and see what's happening today.  They should get most of it 'down' today it looks like.

When you were dancing or even walking around in the gym did you ever wonder if the place was built solid enough to hold all those people...

I can say they just don't build 'em like they used to...

These are the steel I beams that were under the floor...  they only got a couple out yesterday but there must be a couple of dozen of these...  no Chinese steel there!!!

I don't know it that's a large drink cup sitting on top... but these are massive!!!

Hopefully they don't just "scrap" them,
we have some of them that we used to build our "bridge" for the farm equipment to cross our ditch from an old school in Detroit.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 08:13:27 AM »

Hopefully they don't just "scrap" them,
we have some of them that we used to build our "bridge" for the farm equipment to cross our ditch from an old school in Detroit.

I hope they don't too Prof...   just something way bigger than I have any use for.  They look like they're just as straight as the day they went in there.  I was just amazed at how thick the web is on them.  I know they probably have heavier ones but...

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 07:39:51 PM »

Here's a view of the now former armory taken from clear across Lake Monroe or the former stone quarry or whatever you want to call it.  I wish I had a longer telephoto lens for my better camera...

but this is what I had so I did the best I could with what I had to work with!

I just took this one day this week... maybe Tuesday.  I was surprised I didn't see any of the demo equipment when I looked at it on the computer.  If the berm along the quarry was gone it would have been a better picture but then would have shown the demo equipment.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 03:51:47 AM by BigRedDog »

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 08:00:21 PM »

LOL!

Former stone quarry or flooded stone quarry.

Thanks!
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 02:19:57 PM »

They may tear down the history, but they can never tear down our memories.
                                                                                                    - Mayonnaise
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2013, 03:28:34 PM »

BRD - you are correct on the old armory downtown
My findings say it was located where the Bell telephone company building is
(that building was built in 1955)

The oldest armory was a wooden structure

Which was torn down to build this one - (that burned in 1929)

Would have been cool to see this structure and the architecture downtown...
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up