MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Monroe History > The armories of Monroe over the years

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The armories of Monroe over the years  (Read 8516 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: The armories of Monroe over the years
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2013, 08:20:43 AM »

Well, there's just a few pieces of the foundation left to move yet.  They have all the original loads of sand they brought in and now have added several more.  They finished taking down the wall to the garage and now the next door neighbor will have to add to their fence to keep their dog in their yard (the wall of the garage had been right on the property line it looks like so it was their side fence for many years!

I took these Thursday...  I wasn't intentionally trying to do a 'panoramic' pair but I did get a pretty good match on them...  I had printed a set off to send to a friend and it was really, really close.  No stitching necessary if I had wanted to do a panoramic print!

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2013, 12:52:56 PM »

Side note to the new building going up on this parcel...

The pharmacy had their rent jacked up to the point they decided they may as well stop "renting" and establish their own site.

The South Monroe Townsite Strip Mall has chased another long term customer away -
Makes one wonder what they are going to do with that Site?
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2013, 05:45:48 AM »

Well the site is about as level as any parcel in Monroe county.  We drove by Wednesday night and they were loading the smaller excavator.  Youngest daughter said they were there Thursday morning for the big boy!  We drove by yesterday afternoon and everything was gone and the house where the garage had been their lot line fence has some of the bright orange snowfence stretched along their line to keep their dog in I guess.

As we were driving around the block one evening this week my wife looked up at the street sign and said to me, "20 years from now the kids will look at that sign and wonder why the street is named Military Street"!

Side note to the new building going up on this parcel...

The pharmacy had their rent jacked up to the point they decided they may as well stop "renting" and establish their own site.

The South Monroe Townsite Strip Mall has chased another long term customer away -
Makes one wonder what they are going to do with that Site?

Prof...  we could probably do an entire thread on the way that strip mall has been 'operated' or 'not managed' over the years.  I never met BB Sr. but knew Jr. very well 8* 8* 8*
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2013, 06:06:55 AM »

I do have a flat site picture I took with my cell phone but it was when the one excavator was still on the site.  I'll take the camera with me in the next few days and get one 'final' shot of the site.

Has anyone heard when they're going to start construction on Monroe's 'latest' pharmacy...  I wonder how long they'll even hold that title?

I'm thinking about starting up a new drive through combination pizza, video rental and pharmacy...  that way you can pick up a movie, dinner and some condoms all with only one stop...  my problem is what to name it ;) ;) ;)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2013, 07:05:13 AM »

We drove by last night and it is one flat parcel and all the equipment is gone.  No sign of a 'project sign' for the pharmacy yet.  It was too dark to take a picture but I will try to remember to get one this week.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2013, 08:58:59 AM »

Looks like it's ready for a pharmacy :( :( :(

This was yesterday, May 4th, 2013

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2013, 09:35:34 AM »

I'm thinking about starting up a new drive through combination pizza, video rental and pharmacy...  that way you can pick up a movie, dinner and some condoms all with only one stop...  my problem is what to name it ;) ;) ;)

Add a little adult entertainment center in the back (drive through-topless car wash) and I'm in on the idea  ;D

We can add the marijuana dispensory services later... after all the smoke clears from the legislation.

Names:
River Raisin Drugsexchange
Pizza Rx Us
Munch n Go

and the motto:
We Like to Bring Out Our Best service 
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2013, 07:37:32 AM »

Something interesting about the bricks from the Armory:

http://monroetalks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28555.0

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2013, 07:40:42 AM »

Add a little adult entertainment center in the back (drive through-topless car wash) and I'm in on the idea  ;D

We can add the marijuana dispensory services later... after all the smoke clears from the legislation.

Names:
River Raisin Drugsexchange
Pizza Rx Us
Munch n Go

and the motto:
We Like to Bring Out Our Best service

An excellent idea Professor...

I drive a lot on gravel roads and would probably be one of their more regular customers...

well, I mean just to keep up a good appearance with a clean vehicle and all...

but one advantage would be that at least one would know when the windows on the car were clean... 

well, except of course for those that might drive through such a business with their windows down ;D ;D ;D

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2013, 10:03:03 AM »

I see some stakes and flags out now...   looks like Monroe's newest pharmacy will soon be 'on the rise' 8* 8* 8*

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2013, 08:54:19 AM »

This photo shows the first enlistees for WWI assembled in front of...

my first thought is in front of the armory at the time which was where the ATT building is now...

or is it in front of the courthouse?

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2013, 09:34:28 AM »

Neat pic.....wonder how much patriotism there would be nowadays should another world war break out.  Going to have to go back and research....was there conscription in WWI?

« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 09:36:19 AM by The Fuzz »
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2013, 09:44:36 AM »

Here's a photo taken from the courthouse clock tower looking north on Washington street with the old armory in view on the right:

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up