MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Media & Entertainment > I heard the strangest call on the scanner!

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 49   Go Down

Author Topic: I heard the strangest call on the scanner!  (Read 62954 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: I heard the strangest call on the scanner!
« Reply #195 on: April 03, 2014, 08:37:23 AM »

This isn't about any particular call but rather every call the MonroeTown crews ran last year...

continuing to set records!!!  Records like this aren't always 'good records' and there's plenty of opportunity for discussion as to the 'root cause' of so many of these runs...  but regardless all the firefighters of MonroeTown (and every other department across the county, state, nation and world deserve a 'ThankYou' from all the citizens they serve 8) 8) 8)

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2014/apr/03/monroe-township-reports-record-number-fire-calls/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #196 on: April 03, 2014, 09:07:39 PM »

Maybe next year when everyone has free healthcare -
they won't use the EMS system as much  ;)
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #197 on: April 04, 2014, 08:24:05 AM »

Maybe next year when everyone has free healthcare -
they won't use the EMS system as much  ;)

That is an interesting thought Professor...

I've always had 'free' (in that it's a benefit through my wife's employer that we have been paying progressively more and more of the cost) and I've only had one ride in an ambulance (as a patient anyway) and that was after an auto accident where I was hit hard enough from behind to break the seat back loose from the rest of the seat.  The 'free' xrays (well, compliments of our auto insurance that also bought us a 'free' car to replace the one that got totaled) were negative and I was on my way home after a nice 'rest' waiting to get into the xray room and then again while they developed and read them...  they weren't 'instant' then!
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #198 on: April 06, 2014, 11:28:17 AM »

There's a fire on the 6th floor at 20 N. Roessler (the senior high rise)...

city is calling for mutual aid from Frenchtown.

Sounds like the fire is under control at this point although they do have a victim of smoke inhalation!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #199 on: April 06, 2014, 11:32:11 AM »

I walked inside yesterday just to hear part of the dispatch which I didn't quite understand.  I'm sure that if I had been listening earlier it would have made more sense.

The city FD requested mutual aid from MonroeTown for a call in the alley on Fern Ct. which is on the north side of the river and normally they would have called for Frenchtown...  sounded like maybe the city and Frenchtown were already on the scene of something else ad that is why they called MonroeTown!!!

The fire itself was strange sounding in that it was for either wires down or arcing in the alley and one caller was reporting fire all along the alley!!!

They're blocking off Roessler street now so probably a good place to stay away from for the time being!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #200 on: April 07, 2014, 03:05:14 PM »

LaSalle had a call a little while ago that sounded 'interesting' to say the least...

A homeowner that lives on the lake found 2 drums washed up on his beach and requested the FD to come and check them out as to contents.  He said they didn't appear to be leaking.

I hope it's not a couple of bodies left over from the movie 'Lake Eerie' that was filmed out there ;) ;) ;)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #201 on: April 08, 2014, 10:20:55 AM »

A man died early this morning on Telegraph south of Albain.  Original dispatch was for a car fire but it isn't real apparent that it was the fire or smoke that killed him. 

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2014/apr/08/man-dies-car-fire/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #202 on: April 08, 2014, 01:07:04 PM »

Update from Twitter:

Man pulled from burning vehicle in Monroe Township was identified as Tyler Cook, 23, of White Lake, Mich

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #203 on: April 09, 2014, 02:39:48 PM »

A man died early this morning on Telegraph south of Albain.  Original dispatch was for a car fire but it isn't real apparent that it was the fire or smoke that killed him. 

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2014/apr/08/man-dies-car-fire/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I see now why the investigation took so long at the scene...

the victim had been shot and it was at first suspected to be a homicide although now it has been ruled a suicide:

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2014/apr/09/police-driver-found-telegraph-killed-self/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Now the biggest question is why did he choose this particular location?

I wonder if perhaps he knew someone that was staying in one of the nearby homes  ??? ??? ???

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #204 on: April 15, 2014, 08:02:44 AM »

The scanner has been going crazy since the 'rush to work' started this morning.  Some wires down but mostly people driving too fast for road conditions and off the road and round and round they go!!!

Hasn't snowed for a month and people have forgotten how to drive!

Sounds worse in Toledo and Lucas county.  They're at a level 2 so you'd think they'd be accident free!!!

Bad wreck out by the airport...  probably someone flew home from Florida this morning and didn't even make it a mile before they crashed :-\ :-\ :-\

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #205 on: April 15, 2014, 11:42:03 AM »

I've been listening to a drill on the scanner most of the morning...

someone was getting very creative...

so far I've heard a plane crash and something about a fire in a nuclear storage facility...

I'm not sure if it's good news or bad news but they keep saying they haven't found any survivors :o :o :o

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #206 on: May 04, 2014, 09:26:39 AM »

Currently listening to what started off as a car on fire...

in an attached garage!  As central was dispatching the Ottawa Lake VFD she reported that the car and house had now exploded and it sounds like it's fully involved!!!  The FD has called several departments for mutual aid!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #207 on: May 04, 2014, 12:08:10 PM »

Currently listening to what started off as a car on fire...

in an attached garage!  As central was dispatching the Ottawa Lake VFD she reported that the car and house had now exploded and it sounds like it's fully involved!!!  The FD has called several departments for mutual aid!

It's still burning!  They just evacuated all fire personnel.

13ABC had a crew at the scene although they are mistaken in 'where' the fire is...

I'm thinking they just saw a Riga Twsp. fire truck there and assumed the fire was in Riga...

It absolutely is in Whiteford Tswp.!

it's a big house from the looks of the photo and not very old.  No fire hydrants so they're having to use tankers to haul water in which almost always prevents a full scale attack.

above photo from:  http://www.13abc.com/story/25423778/house-fire-in-riga-township-mi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #208 on: May 04, 2014, 11:21:15 PM »

Reading the story, one has to wonder about stupidity.  You have a (I presume almost a million dollar) home and the brains of a gnat, or a classic cheapskate.

Why would you use a backup generator with no automatic transfer switch.  That makes no sense, not only from a hazard standpoint (a fire hazard if the utility  power is restored and backfeeds the generator) but it's downright lethal for any utility worker working on outside service (power line) if a home generator is backfeeding the utility lines.

if you are too cheap to do it right, just have some common sense and either pull the meter from the meter socket or install a double pole breakers to isolate the home system from the utility...but that takes manual input from the homeowner.  Obviously, this idiot hasn't enough sense to have that capability.

My genny automatically disconnects the utility feed (via vacuum breaker switch) the instant the utility goes out and isolates my powered system completely.  When utility power is restored, my switchgear monitors utility power levels and restores utility power when it's stable, exactly as mandated by UL and NEC.

I'm glad no one got hurt but I hope his insurance carrier declines payment for damages.  He's an idiot.

Looks like a total loss.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #209 on: May 05, 2014, 10:51:46 AM »

Will be interesting to see if a contractor did this or the home owner...

Insurance will pay - because they don't have a stupidity clause, just an intentional one.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 49   Go Up