MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Media & Entertainment > I heard the strangest call on the scanner!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 49   Go Down

Author Topic: I heard the strangest call on the scanner!  (Read 61472 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: I heard the strangest call on the scanner!
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2013, 06:11:33 AM »

Not even 6 am and it's started already...  just south of the north junction... on Telegraph...

Not sure who was calling it in on the radio to central dispatch but they were asking for a patrol car and that they would stand by for a motorist assist until a deputy could get there.  A 'woman' (not sure why it was necessary to expound on that, but he did) driving a truck (he didn't specify how large a truck)  that one of those orange traffic barrels had somehow managed to jump from it's location and managed to lodge itself under her truck!

Anyway, the point of my post is that the orange traffic barrels are becoming a little hostile and aggressive it sounds like...  so be careful in the Telegraph work zone :D :D :D

I wonder if the duck survived the grill crash incident from a couple of days ago ??? ??? ???
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2013, 07:52:09 AM »

Hmmmm... looks like it's been a week since I posted here...  I did post about the gal robbing the place in Petersburg though...  and that was a strange incident!!!

Last night I heard a dispatch for multiple cars to respond to an address I was somewhat familiar with.  A young woman was being held captive and had already been shot once in the neck.  Over the next few minutes central advised the responding officers that the 'suspect' who was in the home had a "machine gun"...  I'm assuming they intended to imply an AR15 or similar assault rifle.  The fire department and MCA were also dispatched to a staging area nearby.  After about 20 minutes officers on the scene were able to determine this was all a hoax call.  I won't get into details 'cause don't want to give anyone any ideas.  I was awake around midnight and central dispatch was still working on getting a subpoena to AT&T for the caller info...  so I'm thinking somebody may get a knock on the door sometime today!!!

Although I'm sure this was 'hilarious' to someone as it all played out, I can see how it could have turned tragic in several different ways :( :( :(

Whoever did this needs to find a better hobby ;) ;) ;)
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Man with dry skin on hands needs ride to the hospital!
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2013, 04:04:38 PM »

City fire is responding as I key to 20 N Roessler because a man there has dry skin on his hands and would like a ride to the hospital...

my wife laughed and said they better send them here next because she has dry skin on her hands...

maybe City Housing Commission should invest in a jar of hand creme :-\ :-\ :-\

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: Man with dry skin on hands needs ride to the hospital!
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2013, 04:20:34 PM »

City fire is responding as I key to 20 N Roessler because a man there has dry skin on his hands and would like a ride to the hospital...

my wife laughed and said they better send them here next because she has dry skin on her hands...

maybe City Housing Commission should invest in a jar of hand creme :-\ :-\ :-\

Really?

And the costs for Medicare continues to soar.....

Is this what happens when people no longer have to take care of themselves?

I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2013, 05:56:18 PM »

Really?

And the costs for Medicare continues to soar.....

Is this what happens when people no longer have to take care of themselves?

I thought the whole concept at MHC was for people who could take care of themselves ??? ??? ???

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2013, 09:02:29 PM »

I thought the whole concept at MHC was for people who could take care of themselves ??? ??? ???

Found a really good website for the Monroe Housing Commission.  However after starting at it awhile scratching my head on where that building was I realized it was in Monroe, LA.

The website for our Monroe Housing Commission was far less grand and had almost no information.

However they claim this as their mission:

Our aim is to ensure safe, decent, and affordable housing; create opportunities for residents’ self-sufficiency and economic independence; and assure fiscal integrity by all program participants.

In order to achieve this mission, we will:

Recognize the residents as our ultimate customer
Seek problem-solving partnerships with PHA, resident, community, and government leadership
Follow the guidelines set forth by the Monroe Housing Commission Board of Commissioners
Monroe Housing Commission is not a Section 8 provider.

I would say someone hitching a ride to the hospital with the fire department which probably means the ambulance was called out because of dry skin means they failed miserably at the "assure fiscal integrity by all program participants."

Just my opinion.

8*
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2013, 01:00:49 AM »

It happens in Cities/Towns areas all across the US...

Ambulances used as Taxi services.

Most systems don't have a proper way to deny the caller "services" when they are even as ridiculous as this one.
(Fear of lawsuits)
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2013, 06:26:13 AM »

It happens in Cities/Towns areas all across the US...

Ambulances used as Taxi services.

Most systems don't have a proper way to deny the caller "services" when they are even as ridiculous as this one.
(Fear of lawsuits)

You know it happens a lot in our county...

It had been a slow day on the scanner (thankfully after the last few weeks) and that became my 'strange call' of the moment...  I had just sat down at the keyboard when the call came in so timing was everything.  It isn't just 20 N Roessler by any means although they do get a lot of calls there.  Between Woodcraft Square, 20 N. Roessler, the Motherhouse and whatever the place is along the river on W Front they city should have bought the old gas station where the party store is now at Front and Roessler and put a station right there.  They would save probably 50,000 miles a year on every vehicle they have.

Lots of calls for 'constipated' individuals...  ok, I understand...  discomfort and maybe even extreme pain...   but just what do they want a fire truck to do...   I'm not aware of any apparatus that carry adaptors to go on the end of a two and a half that would relieve their discomfort :o :o :o 8* 8* 8*

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2013, 09:29:25 AM »

Lots of calls for 'constipated' individuals...  ok, I understand...  discomfort and maybe even extreme pain...   but just what do they want a fire truck to do...   I'm not aware of any apparatus that carry adaptors to go on the end of a two and a half that would relieve their discomfort :o :o :o 8* 8* 8*

BRD,

If you polled people with the following question what answer do you think would win?

You are constipated and have abdominal pain.  Choose the answer that best reflects what you would do:

A)  Take some fiber (metamucil)
B)  Drink some cranberry juice
C)  Eat more greens
D)  Do the home enema kit
E)  Take a laxative or two or three
F)  Call 911

911?  That tells me there are people out there who for whatever reason are not able to take care of themselves.... and I find that SAD.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2013, 09:37:51 AM »

BRD,

If you polled people with the following question what answer do you think would win?

You are constipated and have abdominal pain.  Choose the answer that best reflects what you would do:

A)  Take some fiber (metamucil)
B)  Drink some cranberry juice
C)  Eat more greens
D)  Do the home enema kit
E)  Take a laxative or two or three
F)  Call 911

911?  That tells me there are people out there who for whatever reason are not able to take care of themselves.... and I find that SAD.

Can you absolutely positively say you won't ever get that way yourself MN?  You know, 40-50-60 years from now?

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
  • 1972 - 1975
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2013, 09:40:27 AM »

I think a lot of these strange calls are from lonely people.  They would do anything for someone to notice them.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2013, 10:13:30 AM »

Can you absolutely positively say you won't ever get that way yourself MN?  You know, 40-50-60 years from now?

Not for sure....

But I hope not.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2013, 10:19:44 AM »

Not for sure....

But I hope not.

I hope not too...  just as probably the great majority of them hoped when they were younger or in better physical condition... but sometimes it's just a fact of life :-\ :-\ :-\

I think a lot of these strange calls are from lonely people.  They would do anything for someone to notice them.

You're right about some of them for sure Erie...

I've run rescue calls like these repeatedly and even had people say they just did it to get anyone to visit them.

We had an 'old guy' that lived almost across the road from us...  I actually ran over there a couple of times for calls...  he was always afraid he was having a heart attack!!!  Then one night he actually was but his wife was so upset with him for 'crying wolf' all the time that she wouldn't call 911...   and he died sitting in his armchair...  same chair I'd seen him sitting in probably 2 dozen times over a couple of years!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2013, 03:45:02 PM »

You know it happens a lot in our county...

It had been a slow day on the scanner (thankfully after the last few weeks) and that became my 'strange call' of the moment...  I had just sat down at the keyboard when the call came in so timing was everything.  It isn't just 20 N Roessler by any means although they do get a lot of calls there.  Between Woodcraft Square, 20 N. Roessler, the Motherhouse and whatever the place is along the river on W Front they city should have bought the old gas station where the party store is now at Front and Roessler and put a station right there.  They would save probably 50,000 miles a year on every vehicle they have.

At least MCA is making money off them,
and I'm sure the hospital ED gets something

The City may review even further  if they really want to be in the "rescue" business with their new model of Fire-Police.
They already have downgraded their medical response plan for the future
   From:  Firefighter/Paramedics   To:   Fire-Police/Medical First Responders.

They could eliminate going on these "questionable emergency" calls by only responding to "C" or higher calls, in the A B C D system  medical control has established.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2013, 09:07:25 PM »

At least MCA is making money off them,
and I'm sure the hospital ED gets something

The City may review even further  if they really want to be in the "rescue" business with their new model of Fire-Police.
They already have downgraded their medical response plan for the future
   From:  Firefighter/Paramedics   To:   Fire-Police/Medical First Responders.

They could eliminate going on these "questionable emergency" calls by only responding to "C" or higher calls, in the A B C D system  medical control has established.

Not if they can't collect...   my 'experience' over the years are the very people most likely to take advantage of 'the system' are the ones that had no intention of paying in the first place.

If you go to the doctor or a clinic you have to pay up front in most cases.  If you go to the ER they'll take care of you without any 'upfront' costs and you can pay later (if you want to)...

and if you arrive by ambulance I'm sure they'll probably put you ahead of many of those people that drove themselves there or had a friend of relative take them :( :( :(

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 49   Go Up