MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Media & Entertainment > I heard the strangest call on the scanner!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 49   Go Down

Author Topic: I heard the strangest call on the scanner!  (Read 64121 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: I heard the strangest call on the scanner!
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2013, 09:08:08 AM »

I heard one early Friday morning and it was strange only because of the set of circumstances that happened that actually allowed the victim to get help faster...

Ok, before the call in question, Erie or Morrin Point (I don't remember which department now but they're both in Erie Township) had a rescue call and the MCA unit from the old East Side fire station was dispatched to Erie so that takes the east side MCA unit out of the picture for City calls.

A short time later there is a dispatch for a rescue call at 7## E 8th and the dispatcher gave the appropriate cross streets for that block  (which I did look up in the city assessor records and there is no such address).  City police probably had a car in the area and city fire responded from the central station but of course they couldn't find that address because it just doesn't exist.  In fact there is a 2 block stretch on E 8th where all the homes face the cross streets so there literally are no E. 8th addresses in those blocks!

Since the MCA unit from the E. side station was in service it was necessary to dispatch the W. side unit that was at the time in their station out W. 7th (past Telegraph).  As they were responding to the call they had to make the jog over to W 8th (7th is a one way the wrong way for those not familiar with that area of the city) and they were 'flagged down' as they were passing the 'true' rescue scene.  The MCA unit called Central to advise the dispatcher that this was the correct address and the dispatcher advised them that was not correct...  that the address she had was absolutely on E 8th (which by then I had looked up and knew was factually and physically impossible).  The MCA responded at that point advised Central that they had better send a 2nd unit to E. 8th then because there must be two rescues at the same address on opposite ends of the street (statistically not likely)!!!

End of story...   the victim received medical attention just as fast as if the address would have been right...  but only by a fluke of luck!!! 

I recognize a lot of the addresses in the county and know that Central occasionally has the wrong 'cross streets' when they dispatch.  I doubt this is the fault of the dispatcher or even central dispatch but rather whoever originally encoded all the phone numbers and addresses into the system in the first place. 

I've never had to call 911 from home so I guess I don't even know if my own address is 'properly coded'...  you'd think that with everything else that's available 'online' there'd be a way the public could look up their info from the 911 system to see if it's 'physically accurate'....

It's not as big a deal for a fire because they can 'see the smoke on the horizon' but for rescue calls it's much more critical!
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2013, 05:58:51 AM »

A vehicle hit a porch on W. Front St. last night...   my first thought of course was what was a porch doing in the street?  It was a bit confusing trying to sort out what happened from the radio traffic so I was very glad to see this article from MP this morning:

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2013/sep/03/out-control-driver-damages-homes/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2013, 06:34:34 AM »

Here's the Google streetview of those steps before the crash:

http://goo.gl/maps/q3tFb

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2013, 08:47:38 PM »

LOL, Wow, that was a robust set of stairs too!
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2013, 11:38:51 PM »

People with internet phones have to program in their location for 911,
That could be a cause for delay if no one knew to do it...
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2013, 07:46:08 AM »

LOL, Wow, that was a robust set of stairs too!

The article in the paper said one of the sets of steps had just been replaced in the last few years.  If this was the set it looked like they had done a great job. 

I'd kind of like to see what the front end of that Expedition looks like...   

an Expedition can weigh over 5000 pounds empty to there was a lot of mass hitting a lot of mass during that crash. 

The more I look at the circumstances and the time of evening and everything it is absolutely amazing no one was hurt.

Has anyone ever heard what the medical condition was with the driver (or is that a HEPA violation) and how he's doing now?

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2013, 10:26:51 AM »

People with internet phones have to program in their location for 911,
That could be a cause for delay if no one knew to do it...

I've always been curious how that works.   I've always been a little fearful of signing up for the phone service over Charter as much as it was temporarily 'out of service' for many years out in our area...   I was always pretty sure that if I needed to call 911 that would be the time my internet would be out 8* 8* 8*

We have an issue out in our area where the addresses have been doled out 'out of sequence' over the years...  one is almost a half mile away.  We even have pizza delivery stop here for them once in a while so I figure the driver just put the address in their GPS and turned in when the gps said they were 'at your destination'.

I do find it surprising the relatively high number of emergency calls that get dispatched to the West vs. East numbered streets in the city though.  I wonder if maybe the 'east' is the default entry unless someone changes it to west. 

For the one a couple of weeks ago there was no such house number on the east side street and in fact no homes with addresses on that street for the entire block.  It has to be confusing when there actually is an address at both E & W though.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2013, 07:22:26 PM »

I heard calls for the same address and the same gentleman twice today...  I only caught it because he's a 100 years old.  Fortunately it didn't sound too serious although I suppose at 100 anything can be serious.  They obviously didn't transport him after the first call and then I was away from the scanner when they cleared the 2nd time.

There was also a call today out in Ida for a 'combine' on fire in the middle of Albain Road. It's not uncommon to hear one or two calls for a combine fire every year during harvest time but they're usually out in a field somewhere.  This one was out beyond hydrants and Ida had to call LMR to bring a 2nd tanker of water.  The photo looks like it was a total loss :( :( :(

Article and photo from 13ABC Toledo:

https://twitter.com/13abc/status/389429252275200000/photo/1

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2013, 08:40:50 PM »

City rescue is just now getting a call at the hospital...

hospital staff needs extra manpower attending to someone who is in seizure in their car at the hospital :o :o :o

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2013, 11:51:39 AM »

City rescue is just now getting a call at the hospital...

hospital staff needs extra manpower attending to someone who is in seizure in their car at the hospital :o :o :o
Often for liability the staff is afraid to go outside, however due to some lawsuits the hospital is responsible for people once they are on the property.

Years ago - in the 40's they would get dispatched to the "hospital" for the resuscitator, as the Monroe Fire Department had one before the hospital.   
Hospital's only evolved to provide emergency services after the doctors started specializing and stopped doing the house calls...   an interesting development.

I recall when the ER was staffed by a local doctor often on call, and not one who specialized in emergency medicine
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2013, 11:40:59 AM »

I heard another combine fire down in Whiteford late yesterday...   that's about the 4th combine I've heard burn this year!!!

Been bad for farm incidents in general...

a man got tangled up in the PTO on his tractor out in Raisinville on Friday...

and just now Frenchtown is running a tractor turned over on Telegraph Road...

no injuries in this one though!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2013, 11:16:37 AM »

These probably wouldn't have been quite so 'strange' but both were during the height of the storm last night...

An elderly woman (I've forgotten her age now) with a sore knee and trouble breathing...

ok, I'd be calling for help too I guess if I was having trouble breathing...

but my knees are sore almost every day 8* 8* 8*

Then later there was a 2 yr old girl that fell down and split her lip and it was bleeding...

Ok, I've had 2 yr old kids and they do fall down...   and if they hit something hard enough they will bleed...  but I've never had to call the rescue for a split lip :-\ :-\ :-\

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2013, 07:21:32 PM »

I'm waiting for you to post that a call came in for a man with an erection lasting more than 4 hours.

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2013, 10:15:44 PM »

I'm waiting for you to post that a call came in for a man with an erection lasting more than 4 hours.

You don't really want to know what they do if that really happens...

Believe me!

(I always asked the nurses if they ever had this occur - and they told me what they do)
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2013, 10:39:21 PM »

I guess it's not "finish" it off then.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 49   Go Up