MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Media & Entertainment > I heard the strangest call on the scanner!

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 49   Go Down

Author Topic: I heard the strangest call on the scanner!  (Read 62045 times)

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: I heard the strangest call on the scanner!
« Reply #150 on: February 11, 2014, 06:41:00 PM »

You got PLAYED!

;D
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #151 on: February 11, 2014, 06:54:25 PM »

You got PLAYED!

;D

Well I spent about another hour and a half on the phone today with Charter's 'lack of customer service' department and a good 20 minutes of it was me ranting about 'Phil or Peggy' or whatever his name is. 

I guess I'm going to have to start recording all my calls with them :( :( :(
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2014, 09:50:46 AM »

Don't forget to ask for "credit" for your time...
I believe it was for $20, and you did it online.

I got a coupon from the service man who had to return to my home more than once to fix a problem - which we will complete the fix in the warmer weather...   bad wiring (probably some original stuff from the 80's)
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #153 on: February 12, 2014, 12:16:17 PM »

I love having the debate with the cable company about whether the issue was in the house or outside the house.

Hey - I screwed in my TV at the tap OUTSIDE my house - and the picture still was bad - why do you think the problem is  in the house?  Why don't you think it is up on the pole where the squirrels can chew on your cable?

I remember one time they told me they just ran a new wire around the neighborhood and my picture should be FANTASTIC - so it must be in the house.  So I waited for them all day.....

Turns out when they ran the new cable they "forgot" to switch my cable over to the new line.  Whoops!

No apology for putting me off for two weeks telling me how great my picture was with the new cable.  Of course no refund or service credit either.

Digital boxes have solved a bunch of those issues.  It either works or doesn't.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #154 on: February 12, 2014, 04:42:53 PM »

I love having the debate with the cable company about whether the issue was in the house or outside the house.

Hey - I screwed in my TV at the tap OUTSIDE my house - and the picture still was bad - why do you think the problem is  in the house?  Why don't you think it is up on the pole where the squirrels can chew on your cable?

I remember one time they told me they just ran a new wire around the neighborhood and my picture should be FANTASTIC - so it must be in the house.  So I waited for them all day.....

Turns out when they ran the new cable they "forgot" to switch my cable over to the new line.  Whoops!

No apology for putting me off for two weeks telling me how great my picture was with the new cable.  Of course no refund or service credit either.

Digital boxes have solved a bunch of those issues.  It either works or doesn't.

I put a 'weatherproof' box on the outside of the house at the 'utility' drop.  Then I wired all my cable and internet outlets throughout the house by running the high quality cable along the floor joists and up to outlets in the walls.  If you have them do it (Charter, Comcast, ATT are all the same on this from what I've seen) they run the cable around the outside of the house and into the rooms they want to put an outlet in.  If you have a brick home or wall then they run it on the inside along the baseboard where it's highly visible.  I have a 2 word description for that kind of installation but I won't share it here!!!

So, I have a tap out in the outside box for them to tap into with their instruments.  If they can get the right signal strength there I won't have a problem inside.  Use quality wire and quality outlets and you eliminate 99% of all future issues.  Have them do it with their cheap 'quickie' installs and you've just created a lot of future issues.

One time I had to call them for service and couldn't be here so I explained to the bimbo that took the call that there was a weatherproof box on the outside of the house and they wouldn't have to come inside so I wouldn't have to be home.  No problem I figured.  When I got home the service guy was still here and was cleaning all the corrosion off out at the pole by the road where our 'drop' connects in.  Apparently they hadn't used a good connector and hit had corroded!  And naturally, it all worked fine when he left.  Then when our bill came that month they had billed me for an 'interior' repair.  I called and asked how that could be and they said that was because they had to come inside the house to 'check' the signal before they could know that the problem was outside at the road. 

It took me about 15 minutes to get it through their head that the guy was NEVER in the house.  I asked them if the repairman was still working for Charter and they assured me he was.  I said well if he had come into the house without us being home the 3 dogs would have eaten him alive and he would no longer be working for Charter. 

They finally did take it off after a lot of me talking to Phil's older sister!!!  They still maintained that even though I had the box on the outside they considered that an 'inside service call'!!!

What a scam that whole operation is!  And then them conveniently put in overseas call centers where their 'lack of service reps' can conveniently 'not understand' what you're telling them >:( >:( >:(
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2014, 06:42:29 AM »

+1 on wiring the inside of the house yourself, and just having them connect at one point.  My BIL worked for the cable company you are ranting about for a few years (before he quit and sued them for being douche-bags - and he won), and we did it right with the finest materials available.  Everything is run under the floors in the joists and behind walls and come out at outlets.  No running around the outside of the house, no under the carpet, no along the baseboards.  No silly splitters on splitters on splitters.

They don't particularly like doing it that way when they come to do a new install - but when they see everything works they go away.

I don't understand why they don't start by checking signal where it comes into the house and make sure their end is right before they point the finger at you.

I have yards of cable - all inside, all in climate controlled protected space.  They have miles of cable in the weather.  Why do they always assume the problem is on my end?  Why do I have to be home so they can come out and fix their problem at their connection or their amplifier or their box that is no where near my house?  I can understand if they confirm signal coming in is great that I need to be there - but they don't check off that box before they inconvenience me.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Debimark

• Super Talker
« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2014, 07:03:54 AM »

Question the folks here: Where/Whom do you recommend for scanner programming and/or updating?  I have a wonderful 3-year old unit from radio Shack, but am quite sure I need the program updated. Love the 800 Mhz system, but need an updated program.

Any ideas suggestions would be helpful.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2014, 07:18:57 AM »

Question the folks here: Where/Whom do you recommend for scanner programming and/or updating?  I have a wonderful 3-year old unit from radio Shack, but am quite sure I need the program updated. Love the 800 Mhz system, but need an updated program.

I'd start at Herkimer's...

it won't be cheap but they'll get it done right!

http://herkimer.radio-dealers.com/home.cfm?did=5dd34d02-96f3-437a-81fe-b5bd17b1094e

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2014, 07:40:11 AM »

If you know how to do the programming the frequencies are easy to find:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=100
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2014, 12:54:51 PM »

If you know how to do the programming the frequencies are easy to find:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=100

I think what DM is saying is that the scanner itself needs a software upgrade to be compatible with some recent changes in the actual frequencies and how the scanners access and search them.  Not sure on a brand by brand or type by type comparison but I've heard several comments on that lately.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2014, 12:02:32 PM »

Ahhh.....  didn't know that was even possible!
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #161 on: February 15, 2014, 07:44:30 AM »

Ahhh.....  didn't know that was even possible!

Like most everything else 'electronic' they have gotten more and more sophisticated.

Years ago you would have to put individual crystals in for each and every frequency you wanted to monitor.  Now you just program in the frequencies.  Years ago you might listen to 8 frequencies max and now you're only limited by your pocketbook ;) ;) ;)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #162 on: February 18, 2014, 10:33:46 AM »

Ida VFD was just dispatched to a snowblower fire...

that seems like a 'pool fire' in the summertime!

Just kick some snow on it or turn the chute straight up and let the snow 'pour' down on the fire.

Maybe it's a snowblower the size of scf's :o :o :o

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #163 on: February 18, 2014, 10:39:04 AM »

Run it into a snow bank?
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #164 on: February 18, 2014, 12:08:59 PM »

75 to get it done at Herkimer unless you bought it there then it's only 50
The State rebranded so all the old stuff won't work
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 49   Go Up