MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Media & Entertainment > I heard the strangest call on the scanner!

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 49   Go Down

Author Topic: I heard the strangest call on the scanner!  (Read 64035 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: I heard the strangest call on the scanner!
« Reply #210 on: May 05, 2014, 02:16:04 PM »

Will be interesting to see if a contractor did this or the home owner...

Insurance will pay - because they don't have a stupidity clause, just an intentional one.

Who knows.  Contractors (if thats what it is) are supposed to carry liability insurance but don't always because it's expensive...  If it is a contractor and it's their fault and no insurance, the homeowners insurance carrier will subrogate against the contractor...if that indeed was the cause.  I don't think it is, I believe it's a stupid homeowner.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #211 on: May 05, 2014, 08:49:43 PM »

It's official (well as official as the MN can make it (in this evenings print edition), the stupid homeowner left the generator plugged into (I presume a plug (he probably wired) in the breaker panel in the garage and when the utility came back on line, it backfed the genny and caused it to catch fire and consume the home.

This tool needs the cheapskate/stupid award of the year.

I wonder what the outcome would have been if a utility worker was working on the pole out front of the house and this idiot was backfeeding the utility line and electrocuted the utility worker?????

Nice homes off Head-O-Lake Road, well not this one, it's toast.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #212 on: May 06, 2014, 10:39:28 AM »

It's official (well as official as the MN can make it (in this evenings print edition), the stupid homeowner left the generator plugged into (I presume a plug (he probably wired) in the breaker panel in the garage and when the utility came back on line, it backfed the genny and caused it to catch fire and consume the home.

This tool needs the cheapskate/stupid award of the year.

I wonder what the outcome would have been if a utility worker was working on the pole out front of the house and this idiot was backfeeding the utility line and electrocuted the utility worker?????

Nice homes off Head-O-Lake Road, well not this one, it's toast.

These cost anywhere from $7 to around $40 depending on your Circuit Breaker box:

You can't energize the system with your generator until you've disconnected from the grid...   it's a physical lockout and 'almost' foolproof (I say almost because someone can always find a way around any safeguard)!

I've even made a couple out of 3/8 acrylic with a drill and a router and a file!  Takes about 20 minutes and works fine if you either don't want to wait to get one or if you have a real oddball (read that as 'old') circuit breaker box! 

Reading the story, one has to wonder about stupidity.  You have a (I presume almost a million dollar) home and the brains of a gnat, or a classic cheapskate.

Why would you use a backup generator with no automatic transfer switch.  That makes no sense, not only from a hazard standpoint (a fire hazard if the utility  power is restored and backfeeds the generator) but it's downright lethal for any utility worker working on outside service (power line) if a home generator is backfeeding the utility lines.

if you are too cheap to do it right, just have some common sense and either pull the meter from the meter socket or install a double pole breakers to isolate the home system from the utility...but that takes manual input from the homeowner.  Obviously, this idiot hasn't enough sense to have that capability.

My genny automatically disconnects the utility feed (via vacuum breaker switch) the instant the utility goes out and isolates my powered system completely.  When utility power is restored, my switchgear monitors utility power levels and restores utility power when it's stable, exactly as mandated by UL and NEC.

I'm glad no one got hurt but I hope his insurance carrier declines payment for damages.  He's an idiot.

Looks like a total loss.

If insurance companies didn't have to pay for 'stupidity' they'd probably only pay out on about a third of the claims filed!

Most auto 'accidents' are not accidents at all and are absolutely preventable!!! 

People just need to 'think' a little bit about what they're doing!

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #213 on: May 08, 2014, 02:17:03 PM »

Just heard a call in the city...

Go check out a person with a 'bite mark' on their hand who is the victim of an assault...

I wonder who the 'perp' is ??? ??? ???

And they just put Deerfield on standby for Blissfield who is out on a very large grass fire...

just enough wind out there today with the warm weather for people to get the burning bug :o :o :o
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

Debimark

• Super Talker

Have a nice Radio Shack 800 Mhz scanner, but to be honest I have not had it "programmed" in a few years. With all the changes atc. I am sure I am not at optimal reception. Who/what is yoru best recommendation for programming an 800 Mhz scanner?

I can't say I'm not at optimum performance, I'm just trying to be proactive to make sure I am.

Appreciate any input, all.  Thanks,
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 07:16:31 PM by Debimark »

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #215 on: May 11, 2014, 11:45:27 PM »

Radio Shack used to do it free years ago.
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

sammy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #216 on: May 11, 2014, 11:56:34 PM »

Last couple Radio shacks we've been in were"huh' wha' we don' know. We have One thousand dollars worth of scanners we bought when everyone said we'd be lost without them, and now we're lost withe them. "the counties have all changed their numbers, and we don't know what they are". Any garbage men want to pick up a couple useless scanners?

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

Have a nice Radio Shack 800 Mhz scanner, but to be honest I have not had it "programmed" in a few years. With all the changes atc. I am sure I am not at optimal reception. Who/what is yoru best recommendation for programming an 800 Mhz scanner?

I can't say I'm not at optimum performance, I'm just trying to be proactive to make sure I am.

I think I have your drift but not positive.  I believe you're saying your scanner has different levels that you can activate or deactivate at will.

I keep my fire dispatch and the first 3 or 4 'emergency' channels active all the time.  I believe there are up to maybe 7 or 8 emergency channels but it would probably be a county wide emergency for them to be using them all at the same time and in that case I'm probably not going to want to be sitting and listening to the scanner ;D ;D ;D

I'm not as big on the police channels, local or state.  Yes, it used to be interesting to see who was getting pulled over at 2 am (and sometimes 'who' they had in the vehicle with them was especially interesting) but you won't hear much of that anymore.  They all use their computers for that now. 

After fire/EMS and then police you can add just about anything in the world that you can imagine that uses a radio.  I have some of the road commission frequencies but I'd go crazy all day listening to them not doing anything!  All the frequencies have to be registered and it's legal to listen to all of them (they're using the public airwaves) as long as you're not in your vehicle.  I've put a link at the bottom about using scanners in your vehicle.  It's actually 14 years old but nothing much has changed in that time that I'm aware of.

If you live close enough and you want to listen to your local MickeyD's drivethru chick then you can do that.  If you're interested in where the local pharmacy is making deliveries you can do that.  Want to know what schools are getting their lawn mowed or their boilers flushed...  go for it.  It's all there and all available (and mostly all very boring too) 8* 8* 8*

Here's several pages of links and lots of info.  If you need help in actually programming your particular scanner there most likely is a Yahoo group or other 'forum' where people with similar scanners provide group support.  Just start Googling and you'll be amazed at what you can find.

Here is a list of resources (in no particular order) and of course there are loads of links from those.  There are other similar pages out there...  I just went with the ones at the top of the Google search link and the ones I recognized the names of.

I'm pretty sure with your scanner you can 'prioritize' any channel or group of channels (a particular fire department is what I want to hear) to override anything else that may be not as important to you at the time.  It is frustrating to just be getting ready to hear the address of a house on fire on your road and suddenly the scanner jumps to an unrelated incident clear on the other side of the county.  Some of that you can program not to happen and some of it is just the way the system works!

If you don't have a stand alone emergency weather alert radio then by all means put that on your scanner and make sure it will alert you 24-7.

Here's plenty more reading:

http://www.scannerway.8m.com/letter.html

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1284

http://www.interceptradio.com/fcc_county.php?sstate=MI&scounty=Monroe

http://www.policescanners.net/scanners-mi-monroe/

http://www.cityfreq.com/mi/monroe/

Debimark

• Super Talker
« Reply #218 on: May 12, 2014, 10:28:14 AM »

Exactly, and thank you.  I had it "programmed" with all the local frequencies when I bought it back in 05/06 or so, but wanted to make sure I am current.  I will utilize those links and study the programming.

Thank you for the resources; appreciate it.

Also, what frequency is Central Dispatch?  I swear I saw a 159 frequency......would have thought it was 800 or higher.

I appreciate your response.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #219 on: May 12, 2014, 10:59:08 AM »

Herkimer Radio, just south of Friendly Ford on Telegraph Rd will program them for a fee... 

The 800 "Trunked" use multiple talkgroups that will use multiple frequencies that can be confusing to program yourself...     

The only ones they won't enter are the "private" channels that each agency has...

You can search and find them (they are in the public air) but they won't add them without permission from the agencies.   

I took mine in - and paid
Well worth it for me.

Last couple Radio shacks we've been in were"huh' wha' we don' know. We have One thousand dollars worth of scanners we bought when everyone said we'd be lost without them, and now we're lost withe them. "the counties have all changed their numbers, and we don't know what they are". Any garbage men want to pick up a couple useless scanners?

First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #220 on: May 12, 2014, 11:03:12 AM »

Exactly, and thank you.  I had it "programmed" with all the local frequencies when I bought it back in 05/06 or so, but wanted to make sure I am current.  I will utilize those links and study the programming.

Thank you for the resources; appreciate it.

Also, what frequency is Central Dispatch? I swear I saw a 159 frequency......would have thought it was 800 or higher.

I appreciate your response.

The 159 frequency is for the dispatch  (siren/pagers)...  and is broadcast still.

This past year they re-authorized  (Changed) all the Trunked data - so all the scanners in the area had to be reprogrammed if they were to capture the stuff going on in Monroe.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #221 on: May 12, 2014, 11:40:28 PM »

They changed the scanner law in 2006.

MCL 750.508
Police scanners in motor vehicles
Effective May 1, 2006

Citizens will no longer be required to obtain a permit from the State Police in order to equip a motor vehicle with a scanner. Instead, it will be a crime if a scanner (regardless of its location) is used in the commission of a crime with a penalty of 93 days or more.

A person who has been convicted of a felony within the past 5 years is prohibited from possessing a scanner at any time.

http://forums.radioreference.com/michigan-radio-discussion-forum/100776-michigan-state-scanner-law.html
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #222 on: May 13, 2014, 07:33:34 AM »

They changed the scanner law in 2006.

MCL 750.508
Police scanners in motor vehicles
Effective May 1, 2006

Citizens will no longer be required to obtain a permit from the State Police in order to equip a motor vehicle with a scanner. Instead, it will be a crime if a scanner (regardless of its location) is used in the commission of a crime with a penalty of 93 days or more.

A person who has been convicted of a felony within the past 5 years is prohibited from possessing a scanner at any time.

http://forums.radioreference.com/michigan-radio-discussion-forum/100776-michigan-state-scanner-law.html

Thanks for clarifying that Tiny...   now the law makes sense.  Don't penalize people just because they 'might' be a criminal.   Kind of like stopping everyone going into the local Meijer store because they might  shoplift something while they're inside the store :-\ :-\ :-\

Sometimes the legislature gets it right...   

and sometimes it just takes a long time to get it right ;) ;) ;)

My only interest in the first place would be during a storm situation like last night.  And especially during that time I want to hear fire frequencies and nothing else.  Other than that I'm usually too busy driving to listen anyway.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #223 on: May 14, 2014, 02:13:59 PM »

I have a portable scanner-
 but until I'm better at programming or selecting the ones I want,
it's currently a pain as I have to listen to all the MCRC chatter about how hard they are working  ;D
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #224 on: May 14, 2014, 07:09:24 PM »

What a crazy day on the scanner...

bomb threats...

suicide threats...   

not sure what all else because I was gone most of the afternoon :-\ :-\ :-\

And guess what...  it's a FULL Moon!!!

I had to double check with the Farmer's Almanac to be sure because I haven't been able to see the moon this week to make sure ;) ;) ;)

http://www.almanac.com/content/flower-moon-may-full-moon-phases

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 49   Go Up