MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Media & Entertainment > I heard the strangest call on the scanner!

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 49   Go Down

Author Topic: I heard the strangest call on the scanner!  (Read 61984 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: I heard the strangest call on the scanner!
« Reply #270 on: June 15, 2014, 09:39:51 AM »

Picture worth a thousand words...   it appears the truck was in the far right lane, and when the brakes locked up  (no anti-lock breaks on semi's?)  the rest was momentum or inertia or other forces if you studied physics...  which crash investigators use to determine what happened and assign fault.

And an aerial photo of something like this may be worth more than a thousand words ;)
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #271 on: June 15, 2014, 03:50:37 PM »

Lots of varibles there.  I do know (from the age of the tractor) it had anti-lock brakes but the trailer may not have had them, lots of older trailer out there pre anti-lock, we have a few.

Typically with anti-lock, the skid marks will be segmented and they aren't, that tells me the trailer was pre-antilock.  A solid skid is indicative of that.  The way antilock works is sensors detect pending locked wheel condition and modulate the application air pressure (much like hydraulic brakes work, but with air pressure) and allow the wheel to turn, thats not evident in the helecopter picture.

The trailer went into a jackknife, pushing the tractor, he was basically out of control of anything.  keep in mind that with locked wheels, the rubber on the tires liquifies and you are litterally riding on an oil slick.  The trailer pushed him (even empty it weighs at least twice as much as the tractor) and we don't know if all brakes were operating properly.

I do a lot of this stuff, it's commonplace for me.

Botton line, it's failure to control resulting in vehicular homicide, no matter what the mitigating circumstances are.  A driver could have braked checked him ir turned right in front of him.  If he was operating with assured clear distance, he could have stopped in time.

It scares me to see a group of semi's going down the road tailgating each other (or a car or motorcycle).  At 55 mph, it takes almost 150 lineal feet of forward travel before your brain reacts to what your eyes see and tells your foot to apply the brake.  At 70 it almsot 2 times that.

Looking at the pictures, I'd say he was too close and reacted by stomping the brake pedal, a gut reaction because he knew he wasn't going to be able to stop in time.  No ABS on the trailer (as evidenced by the solid skid marks) equals an out of control ride.  The guy who got killed was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

As an aside, I've pulled some of our trailers with no ABS and a panic stop or even a severe decelleration with heavy brake application can cause an impending jackknife.  I got one sideways on Alexis on dry pavement because some clown pulled out in front of me from Menards.  Luckly I recovered but I left about 150 feet of rubber on the street and about pissed my pants.  You know, I bet he was completely oblivious to what might have happened if I had eaten him with that Western Star Concentional, he was stupidly unaware, I say stupidly...

I've taken the Eaton Defensive Driving Course in Marshall, Michigan twice, once in an 18 wheeler and once in a passanger car.  They actually remotely disable the ABS and expect you to maintain control is a defensive manuver  It can be done, even on wet pavement, but it takes an acquired skill level and it's something that has to be learned.

It's called 'thershold braking'.  You learn to anticipate (by the sound the tires are making) when they are about to lock up and you maintain that 'just before lockup' level until you stop safely.  I've even purposely put an 18 wheeler in a jacknife and then drove out of it.  Thats real fun when the trailer is beside you going along with you and you get it back straight.

Personally, I believe everyone should take such a course to get an operators license, not just commercial drivers, everyone.

I deal with crashes and responsibility as part of my job so I'm not postulating about what happened on Telegraph.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #272 on: June 15, 2014, 09:17:16 PM »

Flip,

Could it have been an issue with the air brakes on the trailer locking up and not releasing properly?

It seems the trailer pushed the rig.  Its clear the brakes were locked, once they were locked the driver was a passenger.

I'm just wondering if a valve could have locked up on the rear circuit.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #273 on: June 15, 2014, 10:18:16 PM »

Flip, would the front of the truck have that much damage if it was jack knifed before he hit the van? The van would have hit the rear tires. Looks to me like the truck what hit by the front of the truck then jack knifed.  ???
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #274 on: June 15, 2014, 10:23:17 PM »

I just looked at the pictures in the WDIV article and the tire tracks look like it was jack knifed when it hit the van. Must have hit the side of the tractor.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #275 on: June 15, 2014, 11:56:54 PM »

Not sure.  Looks to me (and I wasn't there measuring or inspecting the vehicles, just the pictures that were on here and in the paper) that the trailer pushed the tractor and rolled it and the car impacted the rear of the tractor (at the passanger side drive tires) and the nose of the trailer and possibly the landing gear (dollies).  Keep in mind that a Flo-Boy because of the way it self unloads, has hydraulic lines dowm the sides and expansion tanks on the upper structure plus they are a double wall trailer with a moving belt floor, very rigid and very strong.

The damage to the tractor is consistent with a severe jacknife where the force of the trailer acting on the fifth wheel and rear frame rolls the tractor sideways and usually breaks the motor mounts and destroys everything underneathm but the cab remains basically untouched (except for the passanger side damage from the inertia roll).  You notice that the hood and grill are really undamaged, just seperated from the tractor and the ac condensor and air to air charge air cooler  is undamaged.   If he had hit the car head on, the grill and hood would be gone, it's fiberglass and plastic and the ATA anf AC condensor mwould have been severely damaged or gone, they are both aluminum.  The ATA unit is cast aluminum, very brittle.  The engine is askew because the inertia roll torqued the frame rails to the point where the motor mounts seperated from the block and the engine became an unattached object.

He most likely didn't even know he involved  the car until he got out of the cab.  I doubt he felt the impact, he was busy hanging on and trying not to break his wrists on the steering wheel You can't hold them (steering wheel in a jacknife dry pavement skid), the  power steering unit can't overcome the lateral forces......and I doubt he saw the car, his passenger's side of the vehicle was canted toward the ground by the inertia roll so the mirror (before it ate dirt), was not reflecting the image of the car.   

I'm not LE and don't claim to be.  I'm about mitigating loss as it concerns our trucks and protecting our drivers and company from unecessary liabiliity but, what I see is vehicular homicide brought about in part by following too closely and failure to control.

There may be equipment issues as well, but, that responsibility falls entirely on the driver/ operator.  Under ICC regulations, every driver must sign off on a vehicle inspection form at the start of their shift/day and note any defects and if the defect impacts driveability, get it repaired at the earliest opportunity and/or put the vehicle out of service until repairs are made be a certified mechanic or repair facility.

Anytime there is a wreck or injury accident involving a truck that I see or hear about, first thing I do is make sure it's not one of ours, b ut then I'd probably get a cell phine call before I heard about it on here or read it in the paper.  I have a company phone thats on 24/7/365.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #276 on: June 16, 2014, 09:55:29 AM »

The scanner hasn't let up all weekend...

one call on top of another and then 2 more before they're clear of the first one :o :o :o

A house burned in Bedford yesterday...

there was another wreck at Telegraph and Buhl...

too many rescue calls for crazy things to even count!

Yesterday afternoon some gal cleaning fish out in Bolles Harbor dropped a knife on her foot...   I assume it was the 'pointy' end although that's not the way it was dispatched...  just that she dropped her knife on her foot and now she was feeling faint!!!

There's an ongoing 'hazmat' incident that started about 8:15 this morning.  I think it's the Hampton whatever apartments.  They gave an address on Josephine court.  City and Frenchtown are there because the 'pool boy' apparently mixed up something in the pool chemicals.  They had to evacuate most of the complex it sounded like.  There's at least one person in the ER at the hospital.

There's another very strange incident ongoing in Bedford but I'll leave that alone for now!!!
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #277 on: June 16, 2014, 11:20:49 AM »

Sounds like the old, mix two kinds of bleach, and the fumes will kill you in minutes ordeal. My mother said a lady she knew, many years ago, mixed some and before she could get out of the bathroom the fumes had burned her lungs and mouth so bad she almost died. There used to be a toilet cleaner that when you used it and mixed it with bleach the toilet exploded.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #278 on: June 16, 2014, 11:31:52 AM »

Sounds like the old, mix two kinds of bleach, and the fumes will kill you in minutes ordeal. My mother said a lady she knew, many years ago, mixed some and before she could get out of the bathroom the fumes had burned her lungs and mouth so bad she almost died. There used to be a toilet cleaner that when you used it and mixed it with bleach the toilet exploded.

I've exploded the tirlet numerous times but it has nothing to do with cleaning it.  More like making it dirty (especially under the lid.. ;D)

People don't read as a rule.  All cleaners have cautionary labels as well as pool chemicals as mandated by the gummit (who are under the obvious correct assumption that the sheeple are too stupid to not so something stupid.....)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #279 on: June 16, 2014, 12:55:26 PM »

Ah...   I guess I'll have to go turn mine on now i'm back home and catch up on all the stuff going on

Don't mix different brands of "Drain" cleaners - some are acid and some are base ...   from your chemistry days if you'll recall  - they react violently and will create a vapor that you don't want to inhale!
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #280 on: June 17, 2014, 09:04:34 AM »

About the last I heard on the scanner about this yesterday they were setting up to 'wash down' the area of the grass this happened in.   I'm thinking it must have been out by the pool but they weren't real specific.  You don't always get all the 'facts' listening to the scanner.

And the rest of the day went just as crazy as it started...

I think I heard more people threatening suicide yesterday than I have in a month... 

young teens too :-\ :-\ :-\

Then yesterday afternoon late it was just crazy with the two major crashes in LaSalle and Frenchtown and then the potentially disastrous fire on Stewart Road all within just minutes of each other.  The crash in LaSalle hadn't been wrapped up yet when they were dispatching both MonroeTown and LaSalle to Frencthown for the fire.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #281 on: June 17, 2014, 10:20:14 AM »

And today is picking up right where it left off yesterday :o :o :o

A bulldozer just backed into an electric transformer at the corner of 7th and Telegraph...

you'd think a transformer would know enough to get out of the way of a bulldozer ;D ;D ;D

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #282 on: June 17, 2014, 10:25:20 AM »

And today is picking up right where it left off yesterday :o :o :o

A bulldozer just backed into an electric transformer at the corner of 7th and Telegraph...

you'd think a transformer would know enough to get out of the way of a bulldozer ;D ;D ;D

Sounds like it's south of 7th on Telegraph...

directly across the street from the SOS office...   Trendsetters Hair Salon apparently called it in.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #283 on: June 17, 2014, 10:41:57 AM »

Apparently it was an in or on the ground transformer...

I think of a big green box sitting on the ground...

Still seems like a dozer operator should have seen it...

even backing up :o :o :o

I'm guessing no one will be getting their hair done here for a few hours!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #284 on: June 17, 2014, 01:55:50 PM »

Apparently it was an in or on the ground transformer...

I think of a big green box sitting on the ground...

Still seems like a dozer operator should have seen it...

even backing up :o :o :o

I'm guessing no one will be getting their hair done here for a few hours!

You got it.  Dark green to blend in.  Should be dark green with dayglo stripes.....

We have one at the plant (on Lavoy) and a woodchuck decided to burrow in, from the bottom side (warm digs in the winter), problem is/was that he got short circuited inside and cooked....  real well done.  The whole corner stunk like burnt meat.  Transformer kept right on humming away.... ;D
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 49   Go Up