MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Media & Entertainment > I heard the strangest call on the scanner!

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 49   Go Down

Author Topic: I heard the strangest call on the scanner!  (Read 61405 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: I heard the strangest call on the scanner!
« Reply #285 on: June 17, 2014, 01:57:48 PM »

Actually, from the fact that they are supposed to be dimmunitive, I can see the dozer operator not seeing it.  We know who is gonna pay for a replacement however..... :P
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #286 on: June 18, 2014, 08:49:00 AM »

Actually, from the fact that they are supposed to be dimmunitive, I can see the dozer operator not seeing it.  We know who is gonna pay for a replacement however..... :P

It was a Downriver company...   or at least their equipment was sitting there when I drove through the parking lot last night.  I'll bet all the tenants in the buildings are wishing the landlord would have gone with someone besides the 'lowest bidder' 8* 8* 8*

This was a pretty good sized transformer box...  about 5' high and at the edge of an open parking lot.  It looks like they're tearing up an old concrete parking lot and getting ready to repave it with asphalt. 

You can actually see the transformer in the Google aerial.  It looks like they had the dumpster in front of it for protection from bad drivers 8* 8* 8*

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Monroe,+MI/@41.9119151,-83.4217898,50m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x883b6fa6b2cc2bcd:0x1aff3b8ff9f0d231
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #287 on: June 18, 2014, 08:55:31 AM »

Two rollover wrecks already this morning... 

one on Albain road...  looks like it might have rained in that area...   so slow down!!!

And now one down in Erie...  it hasn't rained here this morning so it probably wasn't rain for that one!!!
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #288 on: June 18, 2014, 11:42:05 AM »

You got it.  Dark green to blend in.  Should be dark green with dayglo stripes.....

We have one at the plant (on Lavoy) and a woodchuck decided to burrow in, from the bottom side (warm digs in the winter), problem is/was that he got short circuited inside and cooked....  real well done.  The whole corner stunk like burnt meat.  Transformer kept right on humming away.... ;D

I'm guessing this one could have been fluorescent pink with flashing strobe lights and the dozer still would have hit it.  It was taller than the car and I know it's been sitting in the same place since '87 at least!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #289 on: June 28, 2014, 08:26:31 AM »

Heard a call in the evening yesterday for a spider bite.  Not sure of the sequence of events but it was actually a Monroe City Police car that called in the request.  I listened pretty close but never did hear any more details.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #290 on: June 28, 2014, 08:15:42 PM »

Spider bites can be life threatening.  You know who got bit by a Brown Recluse a couple years ago and the BR's bite secretes something that causes your skin to rot off.  She had to go to the doctor and get antibiotics.  She didn't rot away, still here taking care of me....and I need it.

Least you didn't hear me on the scanner yesterday morning.  I tried real hard to cut off my leg (at the knee) with my trusty Stihl chainsaw (that I just conveniently sharpened).

I'm sporting 25 really neat stitches across my kneecap and down the inside of my thigh.  Set the saw on my leg (with my leg on a log) but forgot to engage the chain brake and that real sharp 325 chipper chain opened up my jeans and my epidermis a nice 3/16ths wide incision right down to my kneecap (I looked in and had a peek at it..... 8*, kneecaps are white just like any other bone....).

I walked up to the house and CL looked at me and my blood soaked pants with the big rip and said 'I think we better go to the hospital, I agreed after dropping my pants and looking at the bloody. leaky mess, filling my shoe rather quickly.......

I scraped the kneecap a bit and nicked a tendon but all in all doing fine on  antibiotcs.  I can't swim for 14 days (stitches have to stay in for 2 weeks) and it has to be redressed after I shower every day and it itches like heck but really no pain, just a bit sore.  Nothing internal (other than scaping the kneecap and just knicking a tendon, everything works (made sure of that walking to the house prior to).

Interestingly in the ER when the doctor stitched me, other than just a tiny bit of lanacane (or something like that injected), I felt nothing, guess there are no nerve endings in your kneecap area.  I didn't watch but CL did.  She (ER Doctor) commented that the 'incision' was very clean, to which I replied that I had just dressed the chain.  Only had to remove a tiny bit of meat to get it to close right up, I'm sure I'll have a nice reminder of my inattentiveness.

I'm hobbling around like Chester in Gunsmoke now with strict orders that I cannot even start a chainsaw until my birthday present arrives, a pair of Kevlar Competition Chaps (7 layers of Kevlar for this old, not too observant idiot).

Could have paniked and called 911 (and then you'd have heard it on the scanner) but CL kept her head and drove me (leaking all over the car) to the ER.

In retrospect, the chaps would have been a lot cheaper.  We have really good healthcare but I imagine that little fiasco will cost me about 300 bucks, give or take....

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #291 on: June 29, 2014, 08:03:46 AM »

Spider bites can be life threatening.  You know who got bit by a Brown Recluse a couple years ago and the BR's bite secretes something that causes your skin to rot off.  She had to go to the doctor and get antibiotics.  She didn't rot away, still here taking care of me....and I need it.

Least you didn't hear me on the scanner yesterday morning.  I tried real hard to cut off my leg (at the knee) with my trusty Stihl chainsaw (that I just conveniently sharpened).

I'm sporting 25 really neat stitches across my kneecap and down the inside of my thigh.  Set the saw on my leg (with my leg on a log) but forgot to engage the chain brake and that real sharp 325 chipper chain opened up my jeans and my epidermis a nice 3/16ths wide incision right down to my kneecap (I looked in and had a peek at it..... 8*, kneecaps are white just like any other bone....).

I walked up to the house and CL looked at me and my blood soaked pants with the big rip and said 'I think we better go to the hospital, I agreed after dropping my pants and looking at the bloody. leaky mess, filling my shoe rather quickly.......

I scraped the kneecap a bit and nicked a tendon but all in all doing fine on  antibiotcs.  I can't swim for 14 days (stitches have to stay in for 2 weeks) and it has to be redressed after I shower every day and it itches like heck but really no pain, just a bit sore.  Nothing internal (other than scaping the kneecap and just knicking a tendon, everything works (made sure of that walking to the house prior to).

Interestingly in the ER when the doctor stitched me, other than just a tiny bit of lanacane (or something like that injected), I felt nothing, guess there are no nerve endings in your kneecap area.  I didn't watch but CL did.  She (ER Doctor) commented that the 'incision' was very clean, to which I replied that I had just dressed the chain.  Only had to remove a tiny bit of meat to get it to close right up, I'm sure I'll have a nice reminder of my inattentiveness.

I'm hobbling around like Chester in Gunsmoke now with strict orders that I cannot even start a chainsaw until my birthday present arrives, a pair of Kevlar Competition Chaps (7 layers of Kevlar for this old, not too observant idiot).

Could have paniked and called 911 (and then you'd have heard it on the scanner) but CL kept her head and drove me (leaking all over the car) to the ER.

In retrospect, the chaps would have been a lot cheaper.  We have really good healthcare but I imagine that little fiasco will cost me about 300 bucks, give or take....

I realize they can be dangerous however in all my years I've never responded to one as a first responder call.  I would guess most people are going to go to a doctor or hospital on their own.  Perhaps this person was having trouble breathing which would require a first responder call to the scene.  I didn't catch all the details...  just that it was a police unit calling in the request.

On the other hand, I would guess most people that attempt to install a new kneecap on their own are going to call for a first responder call :o :o :o  Sounds like it wouldn't have taken much for your incident to have been a lot more serious!

Your little corner of the world out there has been hopping the last 10 hours or so...

Somebody rolled their ATV last night around 10ish...   they gave your corner and the one west of you as crossroads but no address so I don't know exactly in that mile where it was.  It was another strange call in that the person calling it in didn't call 911 but rather called one of the Summerfield  firefighters who then called it in on his radio.  Maybe the person knew from experience the call would go to Lenawee county's central dispatch rather than Monroe's...   we run into that occasionally in south county. 

Then this morning between 5 & 6 I heard them give your road as a cross road on a call...   I don't remember the road it was on even or what the actual call was about...   I was still only part awake!

My son has a pair of these...

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/protective-and-work-wear/chain-saw-protective-apparel/wdcttrchaps/

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #292 on: June 29, 2014, 05:11:42 PM »

I have strict orders from CL, no chainsaw until my 7 layer Kevlar chaps arrive.  She got me the competition chaps.  What sold her was a video of a full size chain saw, wide open, bar into the chap.  The saw stopped (clogged with Kevlar) and it didn't cut through the bottom layer.

At least I took a shower and she redressed to.  Same tonite.

On the other note, I heard the fire siren going off last night, whatever occured was close 'cause I could hear the sirens on the vehicles too.  I fugured someone blew their digits off with fireworks.

Spent the morning eradicating woodhogs and a coon.  Food for the 'yotes.  Dang coon died hard, they all do.  I used a small caliber pistol, in retrospect I should have used something a mght bigger like a 45 auto.  Life in the country, gotta love it.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #293 on: June 29, 2014, 06:53:37 PM »

Safety First Flip!

>:(

You need to hang up a sign by the road.

1 day since a lost time accident!

;)

You want me to be your Safety Rep and come out a chew you out and make you fill out a bunch of forms?

Kind of like what you do?

;D
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #294 on: June 29, 2014, 11:16:22 PM »

How did you ever miss hitting the Femoral Artery?
If you would have hit that you wouldn't have made it to the house.

I cut the tip of my thumb on a table saw at work a few months ago and left a trail of blood all the way to the sink until I could wrap it up. You must have left a couple of quarts across the yard.  :o
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #295 on: June 30, 2014, 08:17:18 AM »

He's lucky the Femoral runs behind the knee...   

That knee cap really does "float" so you are lucky it's still in place!

All I did was scratch up my ankles using my chain saw - from the brush falling and of course I was stupid and wore "shorts"...   (it's just a small electric chainsaw and I was just trimming up branches above mowing height)

First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #296 on: June 30, 2014, 08:19:52 AM »

Safety First Flip!

>:(

You need to hang up a sign by the road.

1 day since a lost time accident!

;)

You want me to be your Safety Rep and come out a chew you out and make you fill out a bunch of forms?

Kind of like what you do?

;D

I never tell my drivers I do as stupid stuff as they do.......lol....... ;D

Doing good this morning.  CL is taking good care of my dressing......  I'm dreading the stitches in a week and a half...

I'm not the only one with a slice across their knee....  Seems to be a popular cut with the chainsaw crowd, I know another guy who has the same 'tattoo' in the same spot.....

Chaps should arrive this week sometime (I hope), got trimming to do.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #297 on: June 30, 2014, 08:23:37 AM »

How did you ever miss hitting the Femoral Artery?
If you would have hit that you wouldn't have made it to the house.

I cut the tip of my thumb on a table saw at work a few months ago and left a trail of blood all the way to the sink until I could wrap it up. You must have left a couple of quarts across the yard.  :o

Never knew where it was (read Proferssor's post) but I knew it was there...somewhere.  I leaked pretty good anyway.

Got all my digits (so far).  I use them regularly to count to 10.......

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #298 on: July 09, 2014, 12:13:28 PM »

A rescue call on the golf course this morning...   a man having trouble breathing at the first tee...   not sure which course though but it was Bedford they sent.  There didn't seem to be too much radio traffic so he must have been ok.

I recall a call several years ago where they dispatched Whiteford and maybe Ottawa Lake to a call at one of the Sylvania courses along Alexis Road.  The entrance and everything is in Ohio but the course itself where the man had a heart attack was in Michigan.  It sounded like a lot of confusion and I don't think he survived either as they had to get a sheriff deputy to the scene too.  You'd think they'd have a FD access gate somewhere in Michigan...  probably would save 5 or more minutes of response time :-\ :-\ :-\

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #299 on: July 11, 2014, 09:22:15 AM »

Sounds like Tamaron - and they probably do have an access, but it's likely been so long, no one had the key or remembered where it was... 

I recall having a large "key ring" for various gates around town - and if the labeling wasn't done right - it was quicker to use the multipurpose entry tools we had available  ;D
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 49   Go Up