MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Media & Entertainment > I heard the strangest call on the scanner!

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 49   Go Down

Author Topic: I heard the strangest call on the scanner!  (Read 61969 times)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Re: I heard the strangest call on the scanner!
« Reply #495 on: November 14, 2015, 08:48:45 AM »

One of the reasons I eventually lost interest in being a volunteer firefighter...

even out in the country we would get way too many calls that should have been taken care of without involving a fire department and an ambulance service involved.

I never ever had a problem getting up to the pager at 3am if a call was truly life threatening or if the caller was even sincere in thinking it 'could be' life threatening! 

Very, very interesting how that has all 'morphed' over the last 35 years or so :( :( :(
The fear of lawsuits for refusal to transport someone who is abusing the system is what drove this!

NY must have addressed that as they have given the ambulance personnel the ability to document and refuse transport for calls of this nature. 
Obamacare was supposed to help fix this
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #496 on: November 14, 2015, 08:56:08 AM »

The fear of lawsuits for refusal to transport someone who is abusing the system is what drove this!

NY must have addressed that as they have given the ambulance personnel the ability to document and refuse transport for calls of this nature. 
Obamacare was supposed to help fix this

By 'fix it' do you mean to eliminate it or do you mean to make sure the private ambulance company receives some compensation for their effort. 

It still doesn't give back any sleep to any of the first responders that were home in bed enjoying 'whatever' ;) ;) ;)
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #497 on: November 25, 2015, 08:51:11 AM »

By 'fix it' do you mean to eliminate it or do you mean to make sure the private ambulance company receives some compensation for their effort. 

It still doesn't give back any sleep to any of the first responders that were home in bed enjoying 'whatever' ;) ;) ;)
It was supposed to remove them from using the ER as their Doctors office...  since they are supposed to have insurance now...  and we all know ER's have to take you regardless of ability to pay - but Dr. Office visits aren't covered the same as they can pick and choose who they accept. 

The trickle down is less nuisance calls for EMS/First responders
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #498 on: December 13, 2015, 05:53:56 PM »

Lots of leaf fire calls this afternoon...

I actually tried to burn a patch of tall grass and couldn't get it to burn.

I have a real big brush pile ready to go but waiting for some snow on the ground before I light it.  It's going to send some embers in the air and it's kind of close to the property line.  There are several bee hives right there and I'll bet it's warm enough for them to fly if they were upset with someone burning their house down :o :o :o
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #499 on: January 22, 2016, 05:50:38 PM »

Again, only strange because it's January and freezing out!!!

Berlin Township FD just toned out on a woods fire...   

Labo Rd and Swan Creek Rd area. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #500 on: January 29, 2016, 10:26:18 AM »

Strange calls only because there were two within a half hour...

one at Erie Mason High School and now one at Whiteford High School. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #501 on: February 13, 2016, 08:25:36 AM »

I heard a MonroeTown call a couple of days ago...

dispatched for a 6 month old male constipated and crying...

Calvin checked in first and asked central to verify the call...

I could detect just a bit of laughter in the dispatcher's voice while it was repeated. 

Calvin advised the rescue that he would respond directly and they could just stand by until he got there and could advise (it was dispatched as a priority 3 call).

I have no idea what Calvin told the caretaker but he wasn't there very long ;) ;) ;)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #502 on: February 13, 2016, 12:22:05 PM »

I heard a MonroeTown call a couple of days ago...

dispatched for a 6 month old male constipated and crying...

Calvin checked in first and asked central to verify the call...

I could detect just a bit of laughter in the dispatcher's voice while it was repeated. 

Calvin advised the rescue that he would respond directly and they could just stand by until he got there and could advise (it was dispatched as a priority 3 call).

I have no idea what Calvin told the caretaker but he wasn't there very long ;) ;) ;)

Castor Oil is a great unplugger..... ;D ;D

Obviously parents today have no parenting skills.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #503 on: February 16, 2016, 08:31:55 AM »

Castor Oil is a great unplugger..... ;D ;D

Obviously parents today have no parenting skills.

Heard another one in the last couple of days...

infant can't keep her formula down and she's crying!!!!

I think most infants have trouble keeping their food down and all of our three did cry from time to time!

Last night there was call at the Cracker Barrel in the kitchen!!!  FD wasn't there very long so must not have been too bad!!!

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #504 on: February 16, 2016, 10:43:29 PM »

Heard another one in the last couple of days...

infant can't keep her formula down and she's crying!!!!

I think most infants have trouble keeping their food down and all of our three did cry from time to time!

I can just see the EMS guys walking the floor rocking the crying baby.
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #505 on: March 01, 2016, 07:14:23 PM »

I listened to the actual rescue call on the scanner...

makes me wonder just what is in the water that could have overcome the victim ??? ??? ???

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20160301/man-found-in-tank-expected-to-recover

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #506 on: March 01, 2016, 08:01:27 PM »

Sounds like a similar situation that happened to one of my work buddies, before regulations tightened up on confined space entries. But we tried to do some common sense things, but "Ol Murphy still showed up to invoke his Laws.

It was a portable plastic tank, similar to the ones you see people hauling water on the back of their pickup truck or a trailer, only bigger. My buddy was supposed to make an entry and do a pre-decon survey of it. So he called up the guys that "gas free" an area or tank and had them do it before lunch, and they did. After that, the guy in charge of said tank thought he'd get a jump on things and pour some cleaner in it so after his lunch he'd be a step ahead on deconning it. Since the permit was hanging and he put his survey request in early he thought it was already done.

Buddy finishes lunch, puts on the extra protective clothing to make the entry. Checks and sees the permit on the tank saying it's Okay. Makes his entry through the only hole, man sized right in the top. Starts doing his thing, starts feeling light headed and woozy. Drags hisself out, barely.

Murphy's Law wins again, almost.  :(

Word to the wise, for those who haul water: if you decide to clean the inside and use cleaners of any kind don't enter or stick more than your nose through the opening.
I'm a sheepdog. I may not agree with you but I will not tolerate sheeple.

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #507 on: March 04, 2016, 09:46:39 AM »

Sounds like a similar situation that happened to one of my work buddies, before regulations tightened up on confined space entries. But we tried to do some common sense things, but "Ol Murphy still showed up to invoke his Laws.

It was a portable plastic tank, similar to the ones you see people hauling water on the back of their pickup truck or a trailer, only bigger. My buddy was supposed to make an entry and do a pre-decon survey of it. So he called up the guys that "gas free" an area or tank and had them do it before lunch, and they did. After that, the guy in charge of said tank thought he'd get a jump on things and pour some cleaner in it so after his lunch he'd be a step ahead on deconning it. Since the permit was hanging and he put his survey request in early he thought it was already done.

Buddy finishes lunch, puts on the extra protective clothing to make the entry. Checks and sees the permit on the tank saying it's Okay. Makes his entry through the only hole, man sized right in the top. Starts doing his thing, starts feeling light headed and woozy. Drags hisself out, barely.

Murphy's Law wins again, almost.  :(

Word to the wise, for those who haul water: if you decide to clean the inside and use cleaners of any kind don't enter or stick more than your nose through the opening.

Our son has a relatively new job at one of the refineries in Toledo...

doing the same work he's done for 11 years but now he'll be working nearby all the time.

He had to go through a month long orientation...

most of that was safety stuff...

and a good part of that was on confined space entry!!!

They have tanks and vessels and all sorts of stuff that is way more toxic than some cleaner...

doesn't take much to bring you down if you make a mistake!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #508 on: March 04, 2016, 09:51:51 AM »

Two nights in a row the scanner was going crazy...

There was a 45 minute stretch last night that central was dispatching for 'unknown' crashes (they still insist on calling them accidents but that's a different thread) at the rate of two a minute.  The majority of them were for townships with a freeway going through them.  Seems like they were especially busy on 275 in Ash Township.  They were out on two or three (maybe more...  I lost count) at a time a couple of different times.  I never did hear anything that sounded serious but the tow companies were all smiling last night and I'd guess there are more than a few body shops smiling this morning 8* 8* 8*

Just now heard a dispatch for the city FD...

a 54 year old woman vomiting...

but she's at the Knight's Inn so it could be pretty serious I guess :o :o :o

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #509 on: March 12, 2016, 09:38:43 AM »

Just now hearing a FD (sorry, missed the department) dispatched to an Urgent Care center...   

patient is unconscious!

Glad they at least made it to the urgent care!!!!

Heard a call yesterday (I think...  days are getting run together lately) for a patient hat had fallen down 13 steps!

Other than 13 being an unlucky number (especially in this case) I'm not sure it's critical info for the first responders to know how many steps the patient fell down... 

I'd be more interested in knowing if they're located on the main floor or in the basement...

maybe if the steps were carpeted...

As a first responder you typically either have too much or not enough info though.

Overall I think our local dispatch does a pretty darned good job...

to me it's one of the most critical jobs in the entire EMS and fire services circle...

definitely not a job I would want to do...

even on a slow night :o :o :o

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 49   Go Up