MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Media & Entertainment > I heard the strangest call on the scanner!

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48   Go Down

Author Topic: I heard the strangest call on the scanner!  (Read 46181 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: I heard the strangest call on the scanner!
« Reply #690 on: August 06, 2018, 07:11:41 PM »

Frenchtown had a run this afternoon for a house hit by lightning out on Bates Lane.  It didn't sound like there was an active fire although the residents did say they could see smoke inside the house. 
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #691 on: August 14, 2018, 09:42:56 PM »

La Salle VFD had a call this evening for a possible personal injury crash at an intersection that doesn't exist. 

Yargerville Road and S. Dixie. 

Fortunately this is meeting night for La Salle and they were able to see as they pulled out of the station that it was at South Otter Creek and S. Dixie which is the corner between the post office and Trapperz if you're not real familiar with the corner.  I don't know how the injury situation turned out but the first call for additional 'aid' was for South County Water to send a service truck because the vehicle involved in the crash was sitting on top of the fire hydrant. 

Isn't that a ticketable (Google doesn't like that word) offense?

I have to go to a meeting tomorrow morning so I'll go by and see how the hydrant fared.  I'm thinking probably better than the vehicle ;) ;) ;)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #692 on: August 14, 2018, 10:49:51 PM »

Never had a scanner, don't want one either.  I know you are about that stuff being a volunteer fireman.  I find the chatter boring from what I've heard in the past.

Like a CB radio.  99% junk, 1% good.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #693 on: August 15, 2018, 06:56:25 AM »

Never had a scanner, don't want one either.  I know you are about that stuff being a volunteer fireman.  I find the chatter boring from what I've heard in the past.

Like a CB radio.  99% junk, 1% good.

Probably just about the right ratio but like on the CB that 1% can be critical in certain scenarios like a severe weather watch.  After a while you just learn to not listen to probably 95% of it and only focus in when it gets important.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #694 on: August 17, 2018, 08:38:08 PM »

The city had a rescue call earlier for an assault victim with gas in his eyes.  I'm guessing that is gasoline in his eyes.

Maybe someone caught him peeking in their gas tank?  I'm guessing we may hear more about this one eventually.

Summerfield is out on a call for the top of a power pole on fire.  Those are always tough ones because there's just not much the FD can do except watch it burn and stand by until it either burns out or Edison shows up.  We watched Consumer's put one out down in Erie one day.  They took what appeared to be a big dry powder extinguisher up in their bucket and had to shoot the pole a few times to get it to quit burning. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #695 on: August 19, 2018, 09:52:04 AM »

Morin Point FD just dispatched to Lost Peninsula for a body recovery.  Someone out kayaking found a body floating in Maumee Bay. 

Sounds like central has their GPS working as they first stated on dispatch a pretty close description (that's rough out in the water) of their location and when MP answered the call central let them know they could send them more detailed info by phone!

It could also be the kayaker is a bit of a techie and just had the presence to send a screenshot of their location to central who is now passing that along to the first responders. 

I haven't heard of anyone missing in the lake other than a couple of days ago over at Put In Bay but I wouldn't think a body would drift west.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #696 on: August 19, 2018, 10:02:16 AM »

We were down there boating twice in the last few weeks.  We did see several people fishing up very close to shore.  One looked like maybe he had a bow and arrow and several had their boats near or up on the bank. 

Usually if someone drowns they sink at first and don't float until the body loses density.  The warmer the water and the weather the quicker that happens. 

However, a kayaker could be in water just a few inches deep and therefore able to spot most anything. 

Central just advised MP Fire that the MSP would be on the scene shortly. 

My thoughts are they may want to get Lucas County or Toledo involved too as the state line (and Toledo city limits) are fairly close to the general location. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #697 on: August 19, 2018, 11:21:21 AM »

The first Morin Point FD unit cleared the scene at 11:06 am and a couple more have cleared since then.  Now the MSP can figure out who the victim is and how to proceed from there.  The Maumee, The Ottawa, and Halfway Creek all flow out of Ohio although at this point would have been at least a half mile into Michigan waters.

Map link to general area.  This is why knowing 'precisely' where to look saves time and money.  They could have had several boats and a coast guard helicopter looking for a kayak if they hadn't known precisely where to go.  With that info the 'recovery' was over in less than 2 hours. 

https://goo.gl/maps/pGCco9qrzFQ2

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #698 on: August 19, 2018, 06:11:15 PM »

Probably some guy that just got finished shopping at Dick's Sporting goods thatpissed someone off enough to dump the body in the lake.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #699 on: August 20, 2018, 08:04:07 AM »

Probably some guy that just got finished shopping at Dick's Sporting goods thatpissed someone off enough to dump the body in the lake.

Anything is possible at this point. 

I saw on 13ABC Toledo's twitter feed last night that Toledo Police are involved at this point but that they were not releasing the gender or identity of the victim or even how long they estimated the body had been in the water. 

We wend down in the afternoon for a boat ride and I talked to a woman from Point Place that was telling me about a boat they had seen floating in the Ottawa River.  Sounded like that was within the last week or so but no way to know yet if this was related.

There were dozens upon dozens of kayaks on the Ottawa and Halfway Creek.  I wondered if any of them were the one that found the body. 

While we were heading south on Summit Street (still in MIchigan but just north of the state line) a marked MSP car went flying by.  No lights but going obviously faster than should have been for Summit Street.  At that point the trooper had to enter Oho and drive for about a mile and a half before going back into Michigan. 

Hopefully there will be some news today. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #700 on: August 22, 2018, 09:12:29 AM »

I still haven't heard anything more on the body at the mouth of the Ottawa River Sunday morning. 

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #701 on: August 22, 2018, 10:03:25 AM »

And another body was found about the same time out by West Sister i think.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #702 on: August 22, 2018, 12:24:25 PM »

And another body was found about the same time out by West Sister i think.

That was the one at South Bass Island I believe.  He had been missing for a few days after some kind of a boating incident. 

Not hearing on the one from the mouth of the Ottawa makes we wonder if maybe they're having trouble identifying the person and/or the cause of death. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #703 on: August 23, 2018, 10:52:00 AM »

Ash Township FD was out on a call late yesterday.  Sounded like they may have been up on the county line because they were talking about Huron Township FD at one point.  One of the firefighters reported that there was a word I never did figure out "tangled in the power lines".  They were already waiting for Edison to get there for something else...   maybe a crash into a power pole. 

Just now a call to Judge Vitale's courtroom at the courthouse for a 30 year old woman in a seizure.  I suppose she can't just light up a joint :o :o :o

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #704 on: August 27, 2018, 09:35:08 AM »

We still don't hear many 'gunshot victims' on the scanner so it kind of woke me up a bit.  You usually don't hear many details during the original dispatch and this one was like that.  Had to wait to read the article in the paper to know what happened.

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20180827/gunshot-fired-at-intruder-he-is-now-in-hospital

Has anyone seen or heard anything on the incident with the kayaker finding the body down at Lost Peninsula a week ago?
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48   Go Up