MonroeTalks.com > Categories > People > A true American hero!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A true American hero!  (Read 728 times)

Baggins

• Hero Talker
A true American hero!
« on: March 30, 2013, 03:17:33 PM »

"Shifty" by Mark Pfiefer

And think of the media circus, flags at half staff, and all the things that were said of Whitney Houston when she died and Michael Jackson when he died. . This hero died with barely anyone's notice.

Shifty volunteered for the airborne in WWII and served with Easy Company of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, part of the 101st Airborne Infantry. If you've seen Band of Brothers on HBO or the History Channel, you know Shifty. His character appears in all 10 episodes, and Shifty himself is interviewed in several of them.

I met Shifty in the Philadelphia airport several years ago. I didn't know who he was at the time. I just saw an elderly gentleman having trouble reading his ticket. I offered to help, assured him that he was at the right gate, and noticed the "Screaming Eagle," the symbol of the 101st Airborne, on his hat.  Making conversation, I asked him if he'd been in the 101st Airborne or if his son was serving. He said quietly that he had been in the 101st. I thanked him for his service, then asked him when he served, and how many jumps he made. Quietly and humbly, he said "Well, I guess I signed up in 1941 or so, and was in until sometime in 1945 ..." at which point my heart skipped.  At that point, again, very humbly, he said "I made the 5 training jumps at Toccoa, and then jumped into Normandy . . . do you know where Normandy is?" At this point my heart stopped.  I told him "yes, I know exactly where Normandy is, and I know what D-Day was." At that point he said "I also made a second jump into Holland , into Arnhem .." I was standing with a genuine war hero ...and then I realized that it was June, just after the anniversary of D-Day.  I asked Shifty if he was on his way back from France , and he said "Yes... And it 's real sad because, these days, so few of the guys are left, and those that are, lots of them can't make the trip." My heart was in my throat and I didn't know what to say.  I helped Shifty get onto the plane and then realized he was back in coach while I was in First Class. I sent the flight attendant back to get him and said that I wanted to switch seats. When Shifty came forward, I got up out of the seat and told him I wanted him to have it, that I'd take his in coach.  He said "No, son, you enjoy that seat. Just knowing that there are still some who remember what we did and who still care is enough to make an old man very happy." His eyes were filling up as he said it. And mine are brimming up now as I write this.

Shifty died on Jan. 17 after fighting cancer.

There was no parade.

No big event in Staples Center.

No wall-to-wall, back-to-back 24x7 news coverage.

No weeping fans on television.

And that's not right!

Let's give Shifty his own memorial service, online, in our own quiet way. Please forward this email to everyone you know. Especially to the veterans.

Rest in peace, Shifty.

Staff Sergeant Darrell C. "Shifty" Powers (March 13, 1923 – June 17, 2009) was a non-commissioned officer with Easy Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, in the 101st Airborne Division during World War II. Powers was portrayed in the HBO miniseries Band of Brothers by Peter Youngblood Hills. The 2011 book Shifty's War by journalist Marcus Brotherton, published by Penguin/Berkley-Caliber, captures Sgt. Powers' full life story.

Let's not forget who the real hero's of this nation are...
"Praise not the day until evening has come,
 A sword until it is tried,
 A maiden until she is married,
 Ice until it has been crossed,
 Beer until it has been drunk!" - (Viking proverb)

Pax

• Hero Talker
  • "keepin' the bits cool & dry"
    • Coffee and Cigarettes for Breakfast
Re: A true American hero!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 10:12:31 PM »

Just wondering: did "Shifty" here kill any of my relatives?  Did he make my world "safe" for something I might find preferable to its possible alternatives? Did "Shifty" compound a so-called "national debt" that can never be repaid? I'm not exactly sure what "Shifty" did which might make him worthy of the Hero! conjecture. Is any more information available on this particular man?
Qui tacet consentit! - "He who is silent consents" - Maxim of Law
"For he who would be deceived, let him." - Roman maxim
"Not to oppose error is to approve it; and not to defend truth is to suppress it; and indeed to neglect to confound evil men, when we can do it, is no less a sin than to encourage them." -Pope St. Felix III
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit.
Ryht æðelo biþ on ðam móde, næs on ðam flæ-acute

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 05:55:07 AM »

Just wondering: did "Shifty" here kill any of my relatives?  Did he make my world "safe" for something I might find preferable to its possible alternatives? Did "Shifty" compound a so-called "national debt" that can never be repaid? I'm not exactly sure what "Shifty" did which might make him worthy of the Hero! conjecture. Is any more information available on this particular man?

I doubt he killed any of your relatives unless they were trying to kill him first.  I doubt he made the world any less safe.  Shifty did not compound the debt one single penny.  By my calculations he was too young to vote before he went into the service.  Obviously, one person's hero is another person's scoundrel (but, of course, that's a two way street too).  There is plenty more information available.  I hit Google and got over 51,000 results...  do you have 'time' to read all of them?

Shifty Powers
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 08:15:20 AM »

Great post - thx's for sharing Baggins.  Brought a tear to my eye.  The humble demeanor of many of those in the "Greatest Generation" should be a guide for all of us.  Community / nation over self. 
"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt

Pax

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 07:05:35 PM »

Well isn't that the darndest eulogy of a video anyone ever saw?  I do not know this man, have no idea what his contributions to the real world may or may not be, and to a large degree don't care. 

I appreciate Baggin's digs at Whitney Houston/MJ and any other "celebrity" and couldn't agree more but I fail to see how any "American" made my world any better by engaging in what are commonly known as WWI &/or WWII.  As a matter of fact I tend to believe anyone who participated in them, willingly, even through the faults of the lies of the governments then in charge, did nothing but help guide this country on the path it is still on - a path to hell.  By killing our brethren in Europe, without cause or genuine provocation, and skewing the perceptions of millions of Americans to actual history for decades hence, I cannot possibly use the adjective "greatest" to define any of my forebears here.

If anyone even gives a rat's a** my point about the so-called "national debt" was referring to the fact that you all still haven't even paid for your "Civil War", let alone any since then. Waving flags won't make your burdens go away anytime soon, and yet they pine for even more...

Lucifer was, I'm sure, quite pleased with the sacrifices made to him in the 20th Century.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 07:13:41 PM by Pax »
"Not to oppose error is to approve it; and not to defend truth is to suppress it; and indeed to neglect to confound evil men, when we can do it, is no less a sin than to encourage them." -Pope St. Felix III
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit.

Baggins

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 07:38:56 PM »

Well, if fighting in the last true good cause, defeating the Nazi's, isn't worthy enough for you...I can't help you or make you see.  In the most direct and significant way he was part of truly making the world a safer place...It seems a lot of people have forgotten this.  Our government chief among them...

Hero?  Most assuredly...As are all the men that served in that conflict.   Have some respect where respect is due!

Baggins

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 07:50:39 PM »

Well isn't that the darndest eulogy of a video anyone ever saw?  I do not know this man, have no idea what his contributions to the real world may or may not be, and to a large degree don't care. 

I appreciate Baggin's digs at Whitney Houston/MJ and any other "celebrity" and couldn't agree more but I fail to see how any "American" made my world any better by engaging in what are commonly known as WWI &/or WWII.  As a matter of fact I tend to believe anyone who participated in them, willingly, even through the faults of the lies of the governments then in charge, did nothing but help guide this country on the path it is still on - a path to hell.  By killing our brethren in Europe, without cause or genuine provocation, and skewing the perceptions of millions of Americans to actual history for decades hence, I cannot possibly use the adjective "greatest" to define any of my forebears here.

If anyone even gives a rat's a** my point about the so-called "national debt" was referring to the fact that you all still haven't even paid for your "Civil War", let alone any since then. Waving flags won't make your burdens go away anytime soon, and yet they pine for even more...

Lucifer was, I'm sure, quite pleased with the sacrifices made to him in the 20th Century. (sure, millions were sacrificed in the furnaces of Nazi Germany!)

That national debt was paid in blood for blood, it's not a monetary price you put on mens lives...In fact it's has nothing to do with money at all...

I for one can not think of anything more evil upon this Earth, then or now, than the rising of Hitler's Germany...

Baggins

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 07:52:30 PM »

I don't know...Maybe you need a refresher on the subject...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_Germany

sammy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 07:59:30 PM »

That national debt was paid in blood for blood, it's not a monetary price you put on mens lives...In fact it's has nothing to do with money at all...

I for one can not think of anything more evil upon this Earth, then or now, than the rising of Hitler's Germany...
Lest you forget, Pax denies the Holocaust; according to him, it never happened. He must have never visited a death camp. I have. Unless Dachau is only a movie set.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 08:15:34 PM »

Lest you forget, Pax denies the Holocaust; according to him, it never happened. He must have never visited a death camp. I have. Unless Dachau is only a movie set.

I knew a VET who helped liberate Buchenwald at the end of the European Theater war.

So - either the Holocaust happened - or he was part of a giant conspiracy to cover up what was made up.

Another question - if it never happened - how come I've met survivors who claims to have lost their whole family?  You can go to the Holocaust Museum in Farmington Hills and talk to a survivor - I met him on a tour group.

Seems like an awfully large ruse...
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Pax

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 08:20:19 PM »

The NAZI regime was, indeed, an evil.  So was Stalin, with whom your government allied itself in its quest for global hegemony.  No "American" made my world a better place in that time-period; instead, however inadvertently and with whatever good intentions ever existed, they in fact further subjugated my world to the International Banksters and their plans for our perpetual enslavement.  The Greatest Dummies, or the Greatest Pawns is a better descriptor of any people who participated in the frauds called the "World Wars" on behalf of the banksters.
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit.

tnweasel

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 08:28:12 AM »

I can see that not everyone seems to agree on the 'hero' status of veterans. I believe anyone who chooses to serve their country and its people deserve respect for being honorable enough to take a chance....and yes, that includes anyone who serves in a public safety capacity..... having a son who served in Iraq changed the way I view soldiers and veterans....not everyone has the guts to stand by the contract they made to do a job whether it's in the middle of Baghdad or at McDonalds....regardless of their reasons for joining a branch of the military...these men and women deserve the same respect for doing their jobs as everyone else does....

received this in an email......

What is a Veteran?

A veteran whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve-- is someone, who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check payable to "The United States of America,"  for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that fact.

my son is an honorable man for doing the job he signed on to do....
"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did better." ~Maya Angelou

“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes to us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”  ~John Wayne

Pax

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 11:23:12 PM »

What is a Veteran?

A veteran whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve-- is someone, who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check payable to "The United States of America,"  for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that fact.

The sad fact, weasel, is that The united States of America does not actually exist.  It has not existed for 150 +/- years when several of our neighbors to the south seceded from that particular union.  Anyone, myself included who thinks (or thought) they were dedicating their lives to the fatherland and its people were (or are) living a lie.  It's quite simple, really - volunteering to become part of the luciferian agenda for the planet isn't the least bit admirable without regard to the intentions behind the enlisted or, God Forbid, the draftees.  A lie repeated ad infinitum will never become a truism and the US! government is one of the most guilty, unrepentent liars to ever inhabit this earth.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 11:25:57 PM by Pax »
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit.

tnweasel

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 08:06:38 AM »

my point is made......at least to my satisfaction :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 08:32:11 AM by tnweasel »
"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did better." ~Maya Angelou

“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes to us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”  ~John Wayne
Pages: [1]   Go Up