MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Detroit Tops Most Dangerous Neighborhoods List

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Detroit Tops Most Dangerous Neighborhoods List  (Read 379 times)

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Detroit Tops Most Dangerous Neighborhoods List
« on: April 30, 2013, 12:15:17 PM »

Way to go DETROIT!

:-[

DETROIT (WWJ) - It’s a clean sweep for Detroit, but nothing to be proud of, as the city takes the top three spots on a list of the most dangerous neighborhoods in America.

The study by NeighborhoodScout.com analyzed FBI statistics from 17,000 local law enforcement agencies to pinpoint neighborhoods across the country with the highest predicted rates of violent crimes per 1,000 residents. Researchers drilled down deep into cities and towns to find specific census tract areas that had the highest rates of homicide, forcible rape, armed robbery and aggravated assault.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/04/30/detroit-takes-top-3-spots-on-list-of-most-dangerous-neighborhoods-in-america/

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/neighborhoods/crime-rates/25-most-dangerous-neighborhoods/

Rank   Neighborhood    Violent Crime Rate
(per 1,000)    My Chances of Becoming a Victim Here
(in one year)
Chicago, IL
(S Indiana Ave / E 60th St)   65.77   1 in 15
Tulsa, OK
(E Apache St / N Quaker Ave)   66.88   1 in 15
Memphis, TN
(Saint Paul Ave / Walnut St)   67.26   1 in 15
St. Louis, MO
(Cass Ave / N 9th St)   67.75   1 in 15
West Memphis, AR
(E Broadway St / Stuart Ave)   68.9   1 in 15
Indianapolis, IN
(North Indianapolis)   69.02   1 in 14
Flint, MI
(Chambers St / Stonegate Dr)   70.05   1 in 14
Nashville, TN
(8th Ave S / Wedgewood Ave)   70.59   1 in 14
Indianapolis, IN
(N Meridian St / E 34th St)   72.71   1 in 14
Chicago, IL
(S Ashland Ave / W 76th St)   73.05   1 in 14
Houston, TX
(Sauer St / Mcgowen St)   75.89   1 in 13
Rockford, IL
(Kishwaukee St / Grove St)   77.6   1 in 13
Chicago, IL
(S Homan Ave / W Roosevelt Rd)   80.17   1 in 12
St. Louis, MO
(Delmar Blvd / N Euclid Ave)   82.76   1 in 12
Memphis, TN
(E Eh Crump Blvd / S 4th St)   82.91   1 in 12
Saginaw, MI
(E Holland Ave / E Genesee Ave)   85.64   1 in 12
Atlanta, GA
(Hopkins St SE / Adair Ave SE)   86.14   1 in 12
Greenville, SC
(Woodside)   86.38   1 in 12
Detroit, MI
(Wyoming St / Orangelawn St)   90.82   1 in 11
Houston, TX
(Scott St / Wilmington St)   91.27   1 in 11
Spartanburg, SC
(Washington Heights)   96.55   1 in 10
Chicago, IL
(S Halsted St / W 77th St)   116.56   1 in 9
Detroit, MI
(S Halsted St / W 77th St)   123.93   1 in 8
Detroit, MI
(Mack Ave / Helen St)   145.29   1 in 7
Detroit, MI
(W Chicago / Livernois Ave)   149.48   1 in 7
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

nails

• Hero Talker
Re: Detroit Tops Most Dangerous Neighborhoods List
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »

Number One . . . with a bullet !

Just conversation . . . and maybe a little instigation . . . for your rumination.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 03:11:44 PM »

Don't know if anyone gets the Blade or reads on line but a couple of reporters from the Blade investigated dangerous neighborhoods in Toledo and are running a 4 part series in the paper.  The mayor is mad as he!!.  He wants to sweep it all under the rug and pretend Toledo is safe.  The mayor has refused to release a crime map that shows where the gangs are so the Blade is creating their own.   The residents have a right to know where it's not safe.  The mayor doesn't get it.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 03:19:12 PM »

Don't know if anyone gets the Blade or reads on line but a couple of reporters from the Blade investigated dangerous neighborhoods in Toledo and are running a 4 part series in the paper.  The mayor is mad as he!!.  He wants to sweep it all under the rug and pretend Toledo is safe.  The mayor has refused to release a crime map that shows where the gangs are so the Blade is creating their own.   The residents have a right to know where it's not safe.  The mayor doesn't get it.

Not surprising.  It kind of annoys me that the Evening News publishes the weekly map for the City of Monroe.  Not sure why there isn't one for the county - I talk to friends in the sticks and they tell me there is crime out there.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 07:16:19 AM »

The Blade does the crime blotter map but does not (IMO) do a great job with it. 

I used to live on North Ontario (2001 - 2004).  It was "cool" at first but became a nightmare.  We were young and stupid and wanted that whole "urban" feel.  The community turned out to be very bigoted and had a ton of issues.  My ex-wife and I tried to work with the Blockwatch, North Corridor Coalition and North River to help make the community more "livable" but . . . to no end. 

Mayor Bell, IMO, is doing some good things with the monthly roll in of gang members and they have had some good results.  The problem will be with the weather getting warmer and the lack of sustainable jobs people will become more desperate.  I like Mayor Bell and have talked with him on a number of occasions.  He is deeply committed to Toledo and the community but he is only "one" man, ya know. 
"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 07:41:09 AM »

I believe Bing cares deeply about Detroit too.

I know Bob Clark cares deeply about Monroe and its residents.

There are issues going on in this country that are far beyond the ability of a Mayor to address.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 07:49:07 AM »

I believe Bing cares deeply about Detroit too.

I know Bob Clark cares deeply about Monroe and its residents.

There are issues going on in this country that are far beyond the ability of a Mayor to address.

Yes, Sir - there are. 

To the study from Neighborhood Scout.  I spent time looking at it last night and they did a really nice job of consolidating the data.  They also did a nice job of outlining the variables used.  The only problem that I found is that to look at the "meat" of the study you have to be a subscriber.  Oh, well, still very useful and sad for SE Michigan.  Thx for sharing it. 
"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt
Pages: [1]   Go Up