MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Monroe History > Miscellaneous Monroe History

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Monroe History  (Read 16640 times)

Hearshear

• Hero Talker
Re: Miscellaneous Monroe History
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 08:07:15 PM »

They have a Japanese mini sub on display at the navy base New London , Ct. I wonder if it is the same one?

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 08:32:57 AM »

This isn't really 'Monroe' history although I'd guess some of the passengers very well have been from Monroe.  I saw this yesterday on one of the interurban forums I subscribe to.  They do a 'day by day' history of events.

June 23, 1923 A Detroit, Jackson & Chicago interurban derails in Parma, MI. The derailed car causes severe damage to the village’s jail, which is considered a total loss and never rebuilt.

I found a link to some photos from an Mlive article:

http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2013/10/peek_through_time_jail_destroy.html

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 10:49:12 AM »

This isn't directly related to Monroe although I've read that the Boblo boats would dock here at times and I'm sure lots of Monroe County residents rode them over to the island from various points.

The SS Columbia has been moved down to Toledo (would have loved to have seen it go past Monroe) for some drydock repairs and it's getting ready to head to New York and haul passengers again!!!

Modified to add the link:

http://www.toledonewsnow.com/story/29430024/detroit-excursion-boat-getting-ready-for-move-to-new-home
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2015, 11:56:02 AM »

When I was checking out the rail bridge project by the Winchester bridge I parked over at the Credit Union lot and walked over to the bridge.  I know the worksite is actually a little city park that the city is letting the contractor use and then it's supposed to be upgraded when they're done.  Going back across Winchester to the west is what may have been the 'rest of' that park before Winchester was moved to the east for the new bridge.  Any of the locals remember how long ago that was? The current bridge was already far from new when we moved here.

Anyway, there appears to be some symmetry to the way the sidewalks (that don't go anywhere) are laid out.  There has to be some kind of 'story' to all this!

Here's a Google aerial view of the are I'm talking about.  You can see the 'original Winchester street location...  nothing left of the old bridge except memories...   and the re-aligned intersection with N. Dixie.  Looking at the way the old bridge would have intersected Elm Avenue it must have been kind of a chaotic intersection during high traffic times. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Monroe,+MI/@41.9123415,-83.3823639,221m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x883b6fa6b2cc2bcd:0x1aff3b8ff9f0d231!6m1!1e1

Fishbulb

• Super Talker
    • MIbeerbuzz
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 05:14:43 PM »

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 11:10:08 AM »

Here's a little story about Monroe history.

http://www.blogsmonroe.com/beer/2015/07/monroe-in-the-time-of-typhoid/

Very interesting story Fishbulb. 

The 100 yr old maps of Monroe are interesting and also a resource for lots of other history around Monroe.  Looks like they've used the same 'starter' map on pages 48-56 although some pages are much darker and easier to read.  It clearly shows the city limits in 1915, the route of the interurbans and all the rail routes at the time.  A few of the street names have been changed.  It shows the eastern end of the mill race that came from the Waterloo dam and the one at the east edge of the city that has been filled in years ago (but apparently not until after at least 1915).

Someday (if I live long enough) I'd like to do more study on those old mill races.  They literally were the key for early industrial growth in the area.  There is one almost completely intact out along the north side of the river on both sides of the Ida Maybee Road bridge.

I'm sure there are other details I've overlooked so far.

The map on page 57 again shows rail company names including electric interurbans.  Also shows the relatively 'new' (at that time) government channel cut in to straighten the entrance to the River Raisin and the area that is now the Port of Monroe.  It also clearly shows the 'natural' flow of the River Raisin which has now been altered by the construction of the DTE 'coal burner' plant.  I believe that was in the 1960s.

Interesting that the map on page 58 shows the pollution levels in western Lake Erie...

and 100 years later here we are with all eyes on the pollution levels in western Lake Erie...

seems like we might have learned something in 100 years :-\ :-\ :-\

Page 64 shows 'refuse disposal' in Monroe.  I've heard more than once that the 'city dump' was the area near where the former Farmer Jack Plaza (can't recall what it's called now...  something with Riverside in it maybe) is located.  That picture may very well be from right there with the current CSX bridges in the background. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 11:17:13 AM »

When I was checking out the rail bridge project by the Winchester bridge I parked over at the Credit Union lot and walked over to the bridge.  I know the worksite is actually a little city park that the city is letting the contractor use and then it's supposed to be upgraded when they're done.  Going back across Winchester to the west is what may have been the 'rest of' that park before Winchester was moved to the east for the new bridge.  Any of the locals remember how long ago that was? The current bridge was already far from new when we moved here.

Anyway, there appears to be some symmetry to the way the sidewalks (that don't go anywhere) are laid out.  There has to be some kind of 'story' to all this!

Here's a Google aerial view of the are I'm talking about.  You can see the 'original Winchester street location...  nothing left of the old bridge except memories...   and the re-aligned intersection with N. Dixie.  Looking at the way the old bridge would have intersected Elm Avenue it must have been kind of a chaotic intersection during high traffic times. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Monroe,+MI/@41.9123415,-83.3823639,221m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x883b6fa6b2cc2bcd:0x1aff3b8ff9f0d231!6m1!1e1

This is called 'Rauch Park'.  The Rauch family were major players in the papermills of Monroe.  I still haven't found any explanation for the configuration of the sidewalks near the credit union building though.  I'm thinking at some time there must have been a building there.

Here's the very little info on the City website I could find about it.

Rauch Park.  This linear green space serves as an entryway into the city off of the I-75 corridor and provides a buffer between residential and industrial development on the city’s east side.  It is divided by Winchester Parkway and fronts on the River Raisin on the north boundary.

Above from:  http://www.monroemi.gov/city-services/parks/

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2015, 11:33:56 AM »

From Tuesday's MonroeNews...

100 Years ago in the Record-Commercial

This is always an interesting read but I found several interesting notes in this one.

Deaths in Monroe County for 1913 were 421 which was outweighed by 701 births.  There were also 811 marriages and only 16 divorces granted!!!  My how times have changed :o :o :o

The lobby of the post office will now be staying "open and lighted" until 10pm for customers who want to access their boxes or drop off mail.

An excursion to Put In Bay...  Special cars (I assume they are referring to interurban cars) will leave Munch's Corner at 8:45 am 'eastern' time.  The steamer State of New York will leave the foot of Madison Street, Toledo at 9:15 'central' time.  Part of the proceeds will be allotted to the Monroe County Dixie Road Fund. (maybe we need to do some road funding events like that if we ever expect to get our roads fixed!!!)

"County Clerk Zabel on Saturday received the articles of association of the Francisco-Martin Motor Car co.  The car is to cost $480.00 and is to be made at Newport."  I never heard of the car company and find it interesting the County Clerk was available on a Saturday.

"A car load of poles are expected this week, and when they arrive will be used to string wires from Carleton to Scofield to connect with the electricity generated at Grape."  I'm guessing the Grape generation they are referring to was generated from the mill race that is still very evident in the area.

The Tigers were contending for first place!!!

In my opinion this one gets the prize for the 'more times change the more they stay the same' award ;) ;) ;)

Headline:  State Demands Filtered Water:  It is learned that Hydrographic Engineers are investigating Lake currents to see if local sewage contaminates source of Monroe Water Supply.

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2015, 12:15:19 AM »

I found a site with a bunch of old maps of Michigan. If you right click and open in another tab you can zoom in on them.

18 historic (and not so historic) maps of Michigan

http://photos.metrotimes.com/18-historic-and-not-so-historic-maps-of-michigan/#1
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2015, 06:26:18 AM »

I found a site with a bunch of old maps of Michigan. If you right click and open in another tab you can zoom in on them.

http://photos.metrotimes.com/18-historic-and-not-so-historic-maps-of-michigan/#1

Some neat maps there Tiny...   Doesn't look like the River Raisin was the original name for 'our' river.  And Lake Michigan was the name for both our current Lake Michigan as well as all of Lake Huron! 

I'll do some more exploring later.  Thanks for the resource ;) ;) ;)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2015, 11:28:48 AM »

Here's a map segment I found and snipped from one of the maps you posted Tiny...  some info I'd never seen before!

I posted it in the Henry Ford's Railroad thread and made several comments on it there.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2015, 07:13:42 AM »

An article about Detroit's Purple Gang and their smuggling during Prohibition.

A lot of the 'product' mentioned moved down the dusty Dixie Highway through Monroe County.

Plenty of stories about gang meetings to settle turf wars at the Northwood Villa. 

I've heard more than one story of vehicles driving across frozen Lake Erie to come ashore in Monroe County like the photo in the article.

http://www.awesomemitten.com/detroit-underground-history/?utm_content=bufferb7e96&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2016, 09:00:52 AM »

This is actually 'state' history but certainly Monroe was very involved at the time (even though we are almost missing on the cake)!

Today is the 179th anniversary of Michigan's statehood.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2016, 10:10:01 AM »

Here's another cake using a lot of Michigan products including Calder Dairy cream!!!

Kanarellas Creations

Michigan is a unique state full of so much food, drinks, destinations, sports, music and lots of soul. I wanted to make a cake that represented Michigan at the very core, and that is why I chose to focus on incorporating as many Michigan made products as possible. I used eggs from Charlotte, Pioneer Sugar made in Bay City, honey from Metamora, Gurnsey’s milk, Calder dairy heavy cream, Sanders cocoa, blueberries from Traverse City and Faygo pop. The strawberries and blueberries were used to represent some of the seasonal fruits our state is well known for. The bottom tier of the cake is a Faygo crème soda cake with a Bavarian cream filling mixed with a berry and honey compote. The top tier is a Sander’s chocolate and Faygo Rock and Rye cake with a Sander’s chocolate filling. I chose to keep my decorations simple with a primary focus on our state. It has the outline of Michigan, made with homemade fondant and hand painted with gold luster. Below that is one of the most well known ad campaigns- “Pure Michigan”, exactly what this cake is made of.
Happy Birthday Michigan!

Above all from:

https://www.facebook.com/AwesomeMitten/photos/a.1208556005838718.1073741829.157106820983647/1208556089172043/?type=3&theater&utm_content=bufferd0015&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2016, 11:47:09 PM »

Found this on Facebook. This is the intersection of N Monroe and Stewart Rd back in 1937 looking North. The Gulf station is now the tire store and the big house behind it is still there. Beyond that is now a Bucemi's pizza place.

I used to know an old guy that had all kinds of pictures from way back when he was young. He said both sides of Telegraph were farm fields then and he had pictures. He was a truck driver since back in the 40's. I always wanted to scan them in but never got the chance and he passed away. Don't know what happened to them.

Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up