MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > Nature & Environment

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20   Go Down

Author Topic: Nature & Environment  (Read 22988 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Nature & Environment
« Reply #270 on: September 12, 2018, 08:53:02 PM »

Looking directly down on what's left of the load.

After we were done at U of M we stopped and looked things over from the entrance ramp heading south onto 275.  The entrance ramp from eastbound 7 mile was open (obviously) although not sure if it had been closed during the fire too.  These are the kind of fires that you want to make sure you're wearing your SCBA (self contained breathing apparatus...  kind of like a scuba tank but not for going underwater.  You can use the same compressor on both types of tanks.

Same view but a little closer.

No name on this side of the truck or trailer either.  Maybe they don't want anyone to know who they are or what they're hauling or where they're going.  I wonder what placard they had on the back of the trailer.  Nothing like getting to a trailer like this on fire and not having any idea of what you're about to attack!!! 

Been there...   done that!

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #271 on: September 13, 2018, 09:18:40 AM »

I saw on the late news last night that they finally got everything cleared up and the freeway back open around 8 pm last night. 

I wonder if someone will still have to go in and do some environmental testing to see what all kind of pollution the fire fighting attack managed to carry off into the ground.  I'd think if it was something like conventional acid then they could just treat the exposed ground with an alkaline (did I remember my HS chemistry right?)!

I didn't ever read that anyone was hurt in the initial fire or while suppressing it so all good from that point!!!

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #272 on: September 13, 2018, 10:28:20 AM »

Can't read Sunpros trailer but I wonder of they were the intended delivery of the batteries ? Solar battery arrays ?
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #273 on: September 14, 2018, 08:42:05 AM »

Can't read Sunpros trailer but I wonder of they were the intended delivery of the batteries ? Solar battery arrays ?

I finally had time to dig up some info on them.  They are and environmental services company and they do provide emergency response for cleanups of hazmats.  They have several branches in Ohio and Indiana including one in Walbridge which is on the south side of Toledo for those of you that don't travel that way. 

There's a company in Walbridge that does railroad crashes and derailments too.  Maybe they're related.

https://sunproservices.com/

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #274 on: September 15, 2018, 11:00:17 AM »

That's Hulker in Walbridge.  RJ Corman is there as well.  Both at Metcalf airport I think.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
DTE Energy diving team studying mussels in Lake Erie
« Reply #275 on: September 19, 2018, 06:48:24 AM »

DTE Energy diving team studying mussels in Lake Erie

Diving in the shallow end of Lake Erie has to be interesting after diving in the deeper lakes.

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20180918/dte-energy-diving-team-studying-mussels-in-lake-erie

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #276 on: September 19, 2018, 10:24:35 AM »

What they really need to study s on improving their infrastructure, poles, hardware and transmission lines and clear trees away from the right of way.  Probably asking too much until the next outage and then it's a mad dash to get it repaired.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #277 on: September 19, 2018, 03:21:04 PM »

What they really need to study s on improving their infrastructure, poles, hardware and transmission lines and clear trees away from the right of way.  Probably asking too much until the next outage and then it's a mad dash to get it repaired.

I think the days of maintaining the current infrastructure as we know it with wires are probably over! 

They're already looking ahead at new infrastructure.  My best guess is that we will have individual storage cells sitting right outside our homes.  They may be wired together with others in our neighborhood but nothing like the giant grids we currently have.  I'm guessing much lower voltage and amperage transfers so much less costly to maintain.

Time will tell.

If you still haven't invested in Lithium there may still be time to make money.

Figure out what the batteries beyond Lithium might be and you might really get rich!!!

https://www.wired.com/story/building-a-better-battery/

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #278 on: September 21, 2018, 06:48:55 AM »

There's a cold front approaching us that stretches from Canada clear to Mexico.  Local reports are temps possibly into the 40s Saturday morning.  It had been a pretty nasty line of thunderstorms too but looks like that is running out of steam as it's getting closer to us. 

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #279 on: September 21, 2018, 09:27:57 AM »

90 to 40 is pretty dramatic swing in one day

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #280 on: September 21, 2018, 10:06:53 AM »

90 to 40 is pretty dramatic swing in one day

It will be from the low 90s to the high 40s but still a big swing!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #281 on: September 21, 2018, 10:29:49 AM »

I've been watching the front move toward us all night and the storm action has dropped a lot.  If it keeps dropping we probably won't get much more than a shower or two.

I do have long jeans and sweatshirts and socks ready for the temperature drop though!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #282 on: September 21, 2018, 10:34:13 AM »

I'm thinking jeans and my long sleeve Mich shirt for tomorrow

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #283 on: September 21, 2018, 10:39:44 AM »

I'm thinking jeans and my long sleeve Mich shirt for tomorrow

Go Blue!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #284 on: September 21, 2018, 11:12:43 AM »

I don't get the county/townships idea of letting cattails grow in the ditches. They just mowed both sides of the ditch near me but left a huge stand of cattails a hundred feet down from when my street enters.  The cattails block my view beyond there so if a veh is coming and it's 101' feet from me i can't see it.   The township once told me they leave the cattail for the deer to feed on.  That seems pretty stupid for allow something to grow close to the road that attracts deer. 
I did their job.  I just sprayed with Roundup.  Lots of it.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20   Go Up