MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > Nature & Environment

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nature & Environment  (Read 22346 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Nature & Environment
« Reply #285 on: September 21, 2018, 12:50:27 PM »

I don't get the county/townships idea of letting cattails grow in the ditches. They just mowed both sides of the ditch near me but left a huge stand of cattails a hundred feet down from when my street enters.  The cattails block my view beyond there so if a veh is coming and it's 101' feet from me i can't see it.   The township once told me they leave the cattail for the deer to feed on.  That seems pretty stupid for allow something to grow close to the road that attracts deer. 
I did their job.  I just sprayed with Roundup.  Lots of it.

The MCRC may avoid mowing in areas where there are any type of 'wetlands' vegetation just to be on the safe side. 

There really isn't a lot anyone (even various government agencies) can do in a designated or even suspected wetlands (including spraying RoundUp I'm guessing).  If you want to develop a parcel of property that has any characteristic of being a wetland (one of the easiest is the existing vegetation) then the developer has to essentially prove it is not a wetland rather than the government proving it is a wetland.  Guilty until proven innocent doesn't really ring with our constitution does it?
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #286 on: September 21, 2018, 01:10:43 PM »

They're probably not cattails. They are most likely Giant Reed Grass or Phragmities. Cattails don't generally grow that tall to block your view. Either way Roundup will work if you attack them 3 years in a row. Cutting them encourages them to grow btw
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #287 on: September 21, 2018, 03:54:32 PM »

Yeah they are cattails and there is the giant reed grass too.  I sprayed it all.  I'll probably hit it again in a couple of days.  Both items were about 6'. When i come to a stop at the end of my street i can't see down the road beyond the junk growing in the ditch.  If the people drove 35 it probably would be ok to pull out without getting run over.  There are young drivers on my street that i worry about more than myself
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]   Go Up