MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Hobbies & Arts > Red Dog, Red Dog... How does your garden grow?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Red Dog, Red Dog... How does your garden grow?  (Read 24798 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Red Dog, Red Dog... How does your garden grow?
« on: June 15, 2013, 09:15:10 AM »

A couple of pictures from the garden yesterday...  I've posted a couple of pictures in the 'gardening' thread earlier but decided I'd make a new one just for the big red dog and 'her' garden...  even when we're not out there working in it or on it we quite often find her laying out there and keeping an eye on things...  or maybe watching things grow.  Yesterday she seemed to be focused on this tomato plant.  This was in the morning and the garden topsoil was showing the signs of being packed down from all the rain Wednesday night.

This is a picture later in the afternoon after we had tilled it all up.  We're about ready to 'thin' the sweet corn.

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Red Dog, Red Dog... How does your garden grow?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 09:38:38 AM »

A picture from a week or so ago:

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

ducksoup

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 09:49:17 AM »

Not sure about anyone else but most of my stuff is growing very slowly.  Some just seem to sit there the same size.

Not a fertilizer problem.
After one taste, you'll duck soup the rest of your life ... Groucho Marx.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 09:59:21 AM »

Well it hasn't been seasonably 'hot' so maybe that has something to do with it and we have had quite a bit of rain...  I think we've only had to water twice and that was when we first planted seeds to get them to germinate.  Too much water isn't good either.  You really can't see but our garden spot runs uphill slightly and it's all sand underneath so it drains real well.  And of course running the tiller through opens up the crust on top of the ground that all the rain packs down and that lets the ground breathe.

We have blossoms on tomatoes  and on cantaloupe.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 06:08:08 PM »

A few of those plants look similar to some I grow in my closet.

This should make an interesting visual thread with update pics BRD.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

superspice_10

• Hero Talker
  • Ahahahahahahaha !!!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 08:49:38 PM »

The only thing that seems to be growing slow is my peppers. I noticed teeny tiny beans that I have in pots . Zucchinis and cukes are going great , pretty orange blooms. My tomatoes are going good . I add all my coffee grounds and egg shell dust to the soil ( I save my egg shells and blend it in a small blender) . I read that tomatoes really love it . If I knew how to download a pic from an iPod I would.... But anyway the garden looks great BRD ... :)
Here Kitty Kitty !!!!

Dead Time is 3:00 am.

Go # 88 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REBELOUS SINCE 1975 !!!!!!!!!!  8)

AND YOUR POINT IS ??? OH JUST SHUT UP , YOUR TIME IS UP NOW , MOVIN ON NOW !!!!!!!!  8*

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 08:03:34 AM »

The only thing that seems to be growing slow is my peppers. I noticed teeny tiny beans that I have in pots . Zucchinis and cukes are going great , pretty orange blooms. My tomatoes are going good . I add all my coffee grounds and egg shell dust to the soil ( I save my egg shells and blend it in a small blender) . I read that tomatoes really love it . If I knew how to download a pic from an iPod I would.... But anyway the garden looks great BRD ... :)

Anything organic like that is good for building up your soil.  We have a big pile of compost way back at the back of our field that is always composting.  I haul all sorts of stuff back there and throw on.  It stinks sometimes but too far away for us to smell.  Then we just add the final product to whatever soil we want to enrich. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 01:06:15 PM »

We got out first 'produce' from our garden today ;) ;) ;)

These are a 'pickling' cucumber...   many more to follow :P :P :P

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 09:39:57 PM »

Here's a picture across the 'top' of our garden today.  That is the cucumber vine that we got the one from one this morning and then behind that is by far the biggest of our tomato plants and then 3 different varieties of sweet corn.  Interesting that two of the sweet corns are doing great and the third is definitely far, far behind (making note not to buy that one for next year). 

I say across the top because our garden is on a slight 'hill' and this is at the highest point.  With all the rain we've had this year noting has really drowned out or flooded (it all drains good) but the lighter soil sure seems to be the right place to have planted this year.

I know I need to run the tiller through there but it's just been too wet all this week!

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 11:17:44 PM »

What's it look like now???
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 08:55:02 AM »

What's it look like now???

Sorry Tiny...  been too busy to take and post garden pictures.  It's starting to wind down...   all the sweet corn is done (good year for corn though). 

We've had one plant of cherry tomatoes from early on and they're still going strong...  we have literally had hundreds of tomatoes from that one plant.  I have never seen a tomato plant produce like that one has.

But, it seems like our beefsteak tomatoes have been slow to ripen this year...   maybe it's just from not having a garden for a few years we've forgotten the 'time line' of when stuff should ripen.  The beefsteak plants are all loaded with tomatoes but we've still only had few ripe ones.  My wife picked some last week and put them in her garden window to finish ripening and she's been canning those.

I got busy last night and did a little research and here's a podcast I found...  I guess it just hasn't been the best year for tomatoes.

http://www.growingagreenerworld.com/bhg020-why-wont-my-tomatoes-ripen/

I am curious to see what will happen with them later when we get a frost.  I remember my Dad would go out to the garden the night before it would frost and pull a couple of tomato plants out by the roots and then hang the plant in the basement.  We would have tomatoes for a few more weeks that way ;) ;) ;)

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 08:49:33 AM »

I missed this thread over the summer! Nice looking garden, Dawg. Wish I had that much space.

As I mentioned in another thread, I thought it was a great year for tomatoes, but I really tended them early on this year and amended the soil before I planted.

I've read about, but haven't tried, taking green tomatoes and wrapping them in newspaper and storing them in a cool place. What I read said that they will ripen slowly and you can have fresh tomatoes in December. I'm thinking of trying it. Just hope I don't forget and end up with stinky rotten tomatoes in my basement!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 05:55:48 PM »

All our beefsteak tomatoes are drying up but the cherry tomatoes still have a few blossoms on them.

We have one watermelon left.

Right now we're enjoying our grapes...  probably the best crop of grapes I can remember since we've been here 8) 8) 8)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 11:36:09 AM »

Everything is finally gone from our garden EXCEPT one tiny stalk of sweet corn that seems to have been really late getting started...  I just didn't have the heart to pull it or run the tiller over it.

My wife finally pulled the zinnias after the frost took most of the color out of them.

I got the tiller out last week and tilled and tilled so everything is ready to go in the spring.  I also dug up some more space for next year.  We're going to try to raise some giant pumpkins.  I keep seeing them break records all around here and I'm thinking maybe I should try that!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 09:45:52 AM »

A picture of our 'left over' grapes from yesterday.  We had so many grapes we couldn't pick them all.  I grabbed several bunches of these while I was out shredding leaves.  Washed them up and had to toss about 2/3 of them but the ones that are still solid are oh so sweet!!!

We've never tried making ice wine before but this may be the year :P :P :P  These are actually a table grape...   we already picked all the concordes!!! 

Ice wine is made mostly in Germany and in Ontario Canada...   

it's very, very sweet and very, very expensive too :o :o :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_wine

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up