MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Hobbies & Arts > Red Dog, Red Dog... How does your garden grow?

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red Dog, Red Dog... How does your garden grow?  (Read 24845 times)

blue2

• Hero Talker
Re: Red Dog, Red Dog... How does your garden grow?
« Reply #210 on: May 21, 2016, 10:58:38 AM »

Nothing planted yet although i have most of my plants.  I did mow all the weeds and grass thursday and covered with old pool cover.  Hopefully by mid week i can till up without clogging up tiller every few minutes.  I wish i had my old rear tine TB.
Bought the usual plants.
Marglobe tomatoes. 
Rutgers
German Johnson
Yellow pear
Giant Marconi peppers.  they are the best.
Bush cuke.  going to try again but i'm sure the wilt with get it.
spinach and endive.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #211 on: May 21, 2016, 03:25:44 PM »

Nothing planted yet although i have most of my plants.  I did mow all the weeds and grass thursday and covered with old pool cover.  Hopefully by mid week i can till up without clogging up tiller every few minutes.  I wish i had my old rear tine TB.
Bought the usual plants.
Marglobe tomatoes. 
Rutgers
German Johnson
Yellow pear
Giant Marconi peppers.  they are the best.
Bush cuke.  going to try again but i'm sure the wilt with get it.
spinach and endive.

I have 3 tillers if you want to borrow one.... ;D
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #212 on: May 21, 2016, 05:12:11 PM »

Thanks. I'll have to see what it looks like.  My plot only 25x25.  If any larger I'd be messaging you.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #213 on: May 21, 2016, 10:01:07 PM »

The spuds are peeping...all 20 rows...  Man, thats a lot of potatoes....lol

I 'installed' 4 zucchini plants, 5 tomato plants (2 from BRD), 4 bell pepper plants and 2 100 foot long rows of red onion sets today.  I'm gonna have a pile of onion sets left over if anyone wants any.  I still have to sow the white onions and the yellow onions.  I'll have reds, whites and yellow sets left over.  free as usual.....  Need any, come on out.

No room for the corn but I can trade zucchini for corn at John Chandler's produce stand in Ottawa Lake.  John loves the 'wife beaters' as he fondly refers to the big zucchini's.

No green beans this year or cabbage either.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #214 on: May 21, 2016, 10:39:14 PM »

Your garden sounds like one I use to be a slave to for 10 years or so a few years back.
I had trouble finding enough stuff to plant.
It was 125' wide and 175' deep. Lots of sweet corn.  And invariably when it was tall it would rain for a few days and the wind would blow it over.

I bought a couple of Fish pepper plants at Brocks today. Never heard of it. Looks pretty cool.
http://www.gardenbetty.com/2014/10/fish-pepper-a-peculiar-pepper-with-deep-roots-in-african-american-history/
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 10:42:26 PM by blue2 »

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #215 on: May 21, 2016, 10:50:47 PM »

Your garden sounds like one I use to be a slave to for 10 years or so a few years back.
I had trouble finding enough stuff to plant.
It was 125' wide and 175' deep. Lots of sweet corn.  And invariably when it was tall it would rain for a few days and the wind would blow it over.

Have had that happen as well.  It straightens up after a fashion....  I always have more to plant than I have room for it seems.

No issue with 'slaving over the garden' with me.  I plant my rows 3 feet apart so I can run one of my tillers between the rows and I kill everything in the early spring with Roundup, then plant so not many weeds.

You see, CL and I have a root cellar so I plant things the keep all winter and CL cold packs things like sauerkraut and spaghetti sauce.  We have gunny sacks full of spuds and onions hanging down there.

If I was good with carrots (I'm not), I'd have them in baskets in layers of sand.

No beans this year.  Last year was a bumper crop and they are all frozen...  We have 2 deep freezers in the garage too.  One meat and game, the other vegies.

I like growing stuff I guess.

Next year will be a cabbage year, cabbage, beans and of course potatoes.

Gonna buy a cider press this year.  We always have a ton of apples.  I'll be making hard cider...

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #216 on: May 21, 2016, 10:59:59 PM »

I usually get my pre-plants at Meijers on Alexis but this year all they had were hot peppers and some crappy looking tomato plants.  Petersburg Hardware had a nice selection I got my plats there.

I don't do hot peppers.

BRD gave us 2 tomato plants he started in Florida from seed.  They are planted as well.

My regimen is:
Glyphosate to kill off everything....
Lime it and till it lightly...
Apply granulated urea and deep till
Wait a week and plant.

I have a TB but I prefer the Cub Cadet RT85.  The tines go backwards or forward and it has numerous speeds, all gear drive.... and it has a Honda engine.  I use the TB mostly for cultivating between rows.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #217 on: May 21, 2016, 11:09:08 PM »

I grow spuds every year and have for at least 10 years now.  I take all the odd ones and small ones and dry them and box them up in the root cellar and in the spring. they get planted, plus I like to get new ones too.  This year I got some Red Pontiac's and Norlands.  My original strain is Kennebecks.

BRD usually gets some from me...Did this year as he did last year.  Spuds like sandy loam and thats what we have.  They are fun to dig too.  Turns into a family thing with my sister-in-law coming down and my niece, both getting dirty knees and buckets of spuds.

I get a kick out of reaching into the dirt and scooping out those buried tubers....

Dwight Heck got me started in potatoes with a box of his overwintered ones.

French Fries, Home Fries, mashed, diced, buttered skins.... all good.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #218 on: April 16, 2017, 08:46:52 AM »

It's going to be strange (to say the least) to be trying to grow a garden without the watchful eye of the big red dog.  She would lay beside the garden by the hour while we worked.  Part of her morning routine was her walk around the garden checking to see if there had been any invaders the previous night.  She only seemed interested in the 4 legged critters though.
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Newport-Bill

• Hero Talker
« Reply #219 on: April 16, 2017, 09:22:42 AM »

My dog used to do the very same.  Every morning once around the property border then the garden.  Just like clockwork.  Got to love those protectors.
Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #220 on: April 16, 2017, 09:32:14 AM »

My dog used to do the very same.  Every morning once around the property border then the garden.  Just like clockwork.  Got to love those protectors.

Yes, she knew the precise property lines which is interesting in itself.  Only a very short section is fenced and that's only been in the last few years.  Most of the rest is just an open field and then a lane down through a stretch of woods.  Still, she seemed to know where she belonged and if someone or something was intruding. 
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Up