MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Hobbies & Arts > Red Dog, Red Dog... How does your garden grow?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Red Dog, Red Dog... How does your garden grow?  (Read 25333 times)

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: Red Dog, Red Dog... How does your garden grow?
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2014, 11:05:30 PM »

Sorry Native but the only thing eating my ducks is me, that includes their eggs.

Not eating - Fetching!

You can do the eating.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2014, 07:34:20 AM »

Should be okay - they have the soft mouth thing down pretty good now.

;D

That sounded, well, just a little odd without further elaboration.  Hopefully you don't get caught and decide to run for public office later.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2014, 08:31:00 AM »

What are you thinking of there?  Something I don't want to go to?

The term soft mouth is used by breeders and users of hunting dogs to refer to a behavioral tendency to pick up, hold, and carry quarry gently. It is not a preferred characteristic of terriers and ratters, who are expected to roughly shake and mangle pests such as rats and snakes in order to kill them quickly and efficiently. It is desirable in gundogs such as retrievers and spaniels which are expected to produce quarry intact and in good condition, and is a notoriously difficult behavior to teach to a dog without an inborn temperament to do so. As a result, breeders and users of gun dogs arrived on this term to describe a characteristic important to this enterprise. Dogs breeds known for producing more soft-mouthed individuals include Golden Retrievers, Cocker Spaniels, Poodles, and Gordon Setters, but in any litter some individuals may be much less soft-mouthed than others, as there may be relatively soft-mouthed individuals in a litter of even classically hard-mouthed breeds such as Jack Russell Terriers or Mastiffs.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_mouth
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2014, 08:42:51 AM »

Not worth the explanation of what a person who doesn't train bird dogs would know....most would interpret it the way it appears.  I knew what you meant, but many others won't.   ;)  I suppose it is a good thing that some of the past members you used to spar with on a frequent basis didn't see it and expound. 

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2014, 08:52:32 AM »

I would hate to see it break down into a discussion on the improper use of teeth, and when one shouldn't bite down....

;D

I guess one really needs a teacher to learn the proper technique?
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2014, 09:12:25 AM »

Why not.....take it there!   ;D  Not too many women left on the forum to provide input anymore.

Teacher?.......as in a Council member?

Hearshear

• Hero Talker
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2014, 09:16:58 AM »

You guys just can't yourselves from going there. No matter how old, at heart we remain adolescent boys.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2014, 09:28:09 AM »

Yea, as a recipient it has always been a weakness since my first prom date.   ;D

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2014, 09:48:16 AM »

I was hoping my spouse would take it there last night, but I was disappointed.

I really thought that kiss would do it.

Oh well.

:-[
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2014, 09:59:46 AM »

What's that they say is a result of after watching them walk down the aisle and when the wedding cake is finished......something ends or significantly slows down?  OHHHH that damned power they have.....I hate it!   ;D

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2014, 11:13:32 AM »

OK...  the red girl says to get this topic back on topic...  she's spent a few nice afternoons out watching us working on the garden.

This is the future home of our attempt to raise some giant pumpkins this year...  my wife hard at work and the BRD is just out of the frame watching...  see above!!!  This is after we spread the 'fertilizer' I picked up from SCF Sunday!

We have it all tilled in now and this pile is a nice sculpted 'mound' just waiting for a pumpkin plant.  I decided to try one right in a solid mound.  It should either be the biggest pumpkin in the patch or it will just be too much for it!!!

These are 4 of the giant pumpkins...  we have a young friend that is starting 4 more for us...  and we'll just plant the rest in seeds.  This is an experiment in the works for us and we'll be trying several combinations to see which gets the biggest and best results.  The one on the left was the first one up and it's still the biggest.  We'll have to get them out of the tray in a few more days.

And here is our new greenhouse...   covered in snow this morning.

The greenhouse is part of our experiment with the pumpkins and our gardening in general.  We bought it at TSC back at Christmas...  it was $99 on sale!  I don't know if the wind will get it first (I have it anchored down pretty good) or the sun will rot the 'fabric'...  I've watched one on a front porch in Monroe for a few years and it's still holding together just fine... 

I don't think they're growing pumpkins though ;D ;D ;D

If you look real close you can see the TroyBilt tiller sitting inside just waiting to tear back into the horse poop again ;) ;) ;)

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2014, 11:30:06 AM »

Here's what SCF saw out his window Sunday...

the old Ariens Rocket Tiller and the load of well aged horse manure ;) ;) ;)

I took the tiller part way apart after I got it home to see where to start...

It doesn't look too bad so far and I'm guessing it will spend some time in the garden yet this summer.  This is one 'bonus' that came with it...  all wrapped around one of the tine shafts.  It's packed so tight it's cut the seal so that's the first thing to buy.  But there was one bonus to this...  the tines slid right off the drive shaft on that side and they're completely stuck on the other side.  I've got the penetrating oil soaking and they've started to move so they'll slide off eventually...  if they don't I'll just start tilling and eventually they'll break loose!!!  If this was on a new 'tin and plastic' tiller it would have drained the small volume gearcase and fried the gears and bearings by now.  This tiller has a cast iron engine and a front counterweight..  It may actually weigh more than the old TroyBilt we have.  Both are 7 hp engines so at some point we'll be having a 'till off' :o :o :o

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2014, 11:33:17 AM »

Looks like you have a nice start there BRD, good job!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2014, 11:34:35 AM »

We did plant some peas Saturday but we didn't have to cover them for the snow (I hope) :o :o :o

Other than that we have 'sprouts' going in the garden window and at a friend's house but we will be moving them to the greenhouse as soon as they're too big to carry in and out every day.

I'll have to venture out and see how warm it is in the greenhouse yet this morning.

If this greenhouse does what we want it to then we'll build a more permanent and a little bigger one...

I wonder how much that will boost up our property taxes?

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2014, 11:36:00 AM »

Looks like you have a nice start there BRD, good job!

Well if we end up in October with some giant jack-O-lanterns it will have been a good spring-summer-fall project 8) 8) 8)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up