MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > Did You Know...

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Did You Know...  (Read 963 times)

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
Did You Know...
« on: December 20, 2007, 12:37:05 AM »

Shift Happens

Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
Re: Did You Know...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 12:45:17 AM »

Interesting vid there Tiny....

do you suppose Al Gore ever figured the internet would go over this big before he invented it??
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 11:17:02 PM »

Did you know....there are three "Did you know" threads in three different categories?
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
John Stuart Mill

Willful ignorance, PaTROLLing, bullying, dishonesty, and hypocrisy are among the traits that are common amongst those that espouse the Republican/Conservative/Tea Party ideology.

A non-response doesn't mean you've won, it merely means the obnoxious, illiterate, right-wing morons have taken too much of my time already.

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 11:41:23 PM »

Shift Happens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMcfrLYDm2U

I can't even remember posting this.  :-[

It was 5 years ago.
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 01:11:48 PM »

Did you know that a 50-50 mix of power steering fluid and acetone works better than Liquid Wrench or WD-40?

http://ebookbrowse.com/testing-penetrating-oils-pdf-d271855487
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
John Stuart Mill

Willful ignorance, PaTROLLing, bullying, dishonesty, and hypocrisy are among the traits that are common amongst those that espouse the Republican/Conservative/Tea Party ideology.

A non-response doesn't mean you've won, it merely means the obnoxious, illiterate, right-wing morons have taken too much of my time already.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 06:40:41 AM »

Did you know that a 50-50 mix of power steering fluid and acetone works better than Liquid Wrench or WD-40?

http://ebookbrowse.com/testing-penetrating-oils-pdf-d271855487

I've heard this several times but just never took the time to 'brew some up' to check out.  I'll try it myself one of these days though!  At least you'd have a large volume to work with...

it might work on the theory that if a little does a little good then a lot will do a lot of good 8* 8* 8*

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 06:45:53 AM »

I've always kept some power steering fluid around for this purpose, but had never heard of mixing it with acetone.

I've always been reluctant to mix chemicals ever since a camping trip in Colorado only to come to my senses 2 states away in a desert.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:47:48 AM by The Fuzz »
Support the local economy as much as possible!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 07:36:32 AM »

I've always kept some power steering fluid around for this purpose, but had never heard of mixing it with acetone.

I've always been reluctant to mix chemicals ever since a camping trip in Colorado only to come to my senses 2 states away in a desert.

By any chance were there any Mushrooms in with the Spaghetti Sauce at dinner that night?

8*
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 09:13:09 AM »

The sauce, and that awful tasting tea.

The 70's were a blast, I wish I could remember all of it.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 09:14:45 AM »

Safety note:
Careful when mixing automotive fluids and acetone, as there is another one that causes a chemical reaction and fire... 
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 09:20:50 AM »

Yup.....acetone is volatile when mixed with other chemical bases.  I would never consider mixing it with anything else unless there was a cat standing right over it.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 01:07:44 PM »

Did you know....there are three "Did you know" threads in three different categories?

I did... 

and I'm pretty sure I've posted some of my half vast (say that real fast 3 times) knowledge in all 3 of them now 8) 8) 8)

According to a research, daydreaming is the second most dangerous and distracting thing you would do while driving.

I tend to agree with that...  but I wonder what's in first place?

Many, many, many years ago on a gorgeous fall day I was driving home from work.  Fortunately most of the drive (about 30 miles) was freeway.  I was driving west and the sun was beating in on me and I was all warm and comfy and my mind was literally 'daydreaming' away!

Suddenly I realized I was about 6 miles past my exit :o :o :o  Fortunately it was early in the afternoon and there wasn't much traffic on the freeway (this was up north and they don't usually have traffic anything like what we get here).  I've always wondered if I had been on a regular road if I would have had a crash...  or would I have just never 'drifted off' in the first place?

Now...   back to thinking about what is 'most dangerous' ;) ;) ;)

Baggins

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 02:53:47 PM »

I've heard this several times but just never took the time to 'brew some up' to check out.  I'll try it myself one of these days though!  At least you'd have a large volume to work with...

it might work on the theory that if a little does a little good then a lot will do a lot of good 8* 8* 8*

Not to mention, it's EXTREMELY flammable... :o
"Praise not the day until evening has come,
 A sword until it is tried,
 A maiden until she is married,
 Ice until it has been crossed,
 Beer until it has been drunk!" - (Viking proverb)

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 06:46:12 AM »

I've read that small batches are recommended since acetone evaporates so rapidly.

My understanding is that the acetone helps the mixture penetrate...and then evaporates, leaving the PS fluid behind to do the trick.

I haven't tried it yet but I intend to...I just bought a gallon of acetone from Lowes....and I have lots of PS fliud on the shelf...I'm just looking for a problem to try it on.

The site that did the testing first reported the mix was trans fluid and acetone....but before they could correct the error, the internet exploded with stories that parroted that error. Many complained that the mix just refused to mix...sort of an oil and water type thing. Anyway...I found the original and they made the correction.

On a side-note...I've found kerosene to be the most effective and economical grease and oil solvent.
I recently had to fix a blown head gasket on a greasy engine and since it's cold out, I couldn't use the garden hose to wash away the Foamy Engine Brite...and multiple cans of brake cleaner spray could get expensive...so I tried the kerosene. I love it! And I've been able to use it over and over...I just filter the solids.
Great to clean the grease off the hands as well.

In the past I've used old stale gas for cleaning parts and as an initial hand cleaner...not sure what else could be done with it.
John Stuart Mill

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 07:52:43 AM »

I've read that small batches are recommended since acetone evaporates so rapidly.

My understanding is that the acetone helps the mixture penetrate...and then evaporates, leaving the PS fluid behind to do the trick.    Yes, that is what it does.  In my automotive exterior days we used it sometimes as a plastic surface preparation prior to top coating.  It would remove oils from the molding process, and also abrade the surface sufficiently to promote paint adhesion.  If it could abrade and penetrate engineered plastic resins then I'm certain it would serve the same purpose on rusted surfaces.

I haven't tried it yet but I intend to...I just bought a gallon of acetone from Lowes....and I have lots of PS fliud on the shelf...I'm just looking for a problem to try it on. Be careful with it FF, mix it outside for ventilation reasons....some pretty powerful and obnoxious fumes.  We eventually had to eliminate it from our applications due to hazardous fumes, volatility, and I believe there were later studies that in contact with the skin was a carcinogen.

The site that did the testing first reported the mix was trans fluid and acetone....but before they could correct the error, the internet exploded with stories that parroted that error. Many complained that the mix just refused to mix...sort of an oil and water type thing. Anyway...I found the original and they made the correction.

On a side-note...I've found kerosene to be the most effective and economical grease and oil solvent.
I recently had to fix a blown head gasket on a greasy engine and since it's cold out, I couldn't use the garden hose to wash away the Foamy Engine Brite...and multiple cans of brake cleaner spray could get expensive...so I tried the kerosene. I love it! And I've been able to use it over and over...I just filter the solids. I believe that kerosene was what was used in engine parts cleaners when I was a kid working for a mechanic, and it was effective for removing oil, dirt, and grease.  I to this day use it as bug and road tar removal from my cars, then immediately remove it with hot water and soap.  Cheaper than the commercial stuff, and more effective from my experience.
Great to clean the grease off the hands as well.

In the past I've used old stale gas for cleaning parts and as an initial hand cleaner...not sure what else could be done with it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up