MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Pets > Should dogs be allowed on restaurant patios in Michigan?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Should dogs be allowed on restaurant patios in Michigan?  (Read 3110 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Should dogs be allowed on restaurant patios in Michigan?
« on: June 18, 2013, 01:51:30 PM »

I personally have no objection to it.  The BRD is well mannered enough to mingle on a patio with most people...  she does get a little more inquisitive when there's another dog around though so that might be more of a problem than anything else...  but I'm assuming anyone else that would bring their dog to an environment like that would be able to control their dog as well as I can control her.

On the other hand...   I would much rather see some kind of a proposal from someone in the legislature as to how they're going to fund rebuilding all these roads that they promised they would do when they were running for office...   

but all I've seen or heard is 3 more years of 'kicking the can down the road'...   

even the can is going to get busted up as rough as our roads are getting :o :o :o

More on the dogs (and no, nothing on the roads) at:

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2013/04/state_rep_margaret_obrien_spon_1.html
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: Should dogs be allowed on restaurant patios in Michigan?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 03:11:58 PM »

Are you mixing pets and politics?

8*
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 04:50:24 PM »

BRD.....the answer depends on how good they look in a bikini after dark.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 05:27:29 PM »

The dogs may act better than some peoples kids

DogLover

• Active Talker
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 08:33:52 PM »

I love being outdoors on patios with people eating. I could do a
good job of cleaning up.
  ;);D 8* 8*
Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul...They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!
Anne Tyler

TLaitur

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 09:37:08 PM »

Since my daughter is no longer an infant; the dogs miss circling around the dinner table waiting for scraps that fell (intentionally and accidentally) from her plate.  They could do a good job cleaning up after messy patrons.

Sounds like a great idea.  Heck; you go out west and you'll see a cattle dog or two laying in the corner of most bars!

Now: If we could convince the State of Michigan DNR to allow a certain portion of the beach at Sterling State Park to allow dogs; that would be prefect.  The collie was never much of a water dog; but once in the water, you could never get the cattle dog to come out of it!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 06:58:43 AM »

Are you mixing pets and politics?

8*

I guess I am guilty MN...   

and probably when the Fuzz weighs in we'll add one of the other big 'P' topics too ;) ;) ;)
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 07:00:48 AM »

BRD.....the answer depends on how good they look in a bikini after dark.

I guess I should have been reading more than one reply at a time ;D ;D ;D

I've always thought Mickey Gilley summed it up very well back in the mid 70s with this one:

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 07:05:26 AM »

So why can't the individual business decide if dogs can be allowed on patios in Michigan?

I have to imagine the pooch might help the Fuzz pick up women....
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 07:06:41 AM »

Since my daughter is no longer an infant; the dogs miss circling around the dinner table waiting for scraps that fell (intentionally and accidentally) from her plate.  They could do a good job cleaning up after messy patrons.

Sounds like a great idea.  Heck; you go out west and you'll see a cattle dog or two laying in the corner of most bars!

Now: If we could convince the State of Michigan DNR to allow a certain portion of the beach at Sterling State Park to allow dogs; that would be prefect.  The collie was never much of a water dog; but once in the water, you could never get the cattle dog to come out of it!

I take the BRD down to swim and play in Lake Erie at the access road on Erie Road at the J.R.Whiting soon to be closed power plant.  I add the soon to be closed because I'm wondering what will happen to that area once the plant is closed.  Will they have to retro it back to it's natural state like they do when they shutter a nuke facility...   and will they continue to allow access to the area to the public for recreation.

If you're real adventurous and want to walk south from Erie road you can walk for miles...   EXCEPT, if the plant is running at full capacity there is a water discharge culvert that is putting out a 'lot' of water right by the plant.  Once you make it safely past that point you can walk almost to Toledo.  Warning # 2...  it's one of those walks that is a lot more difficult on the return than it is going ;) ;) ;)

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 07:13:08 AM »

I guess I should have been reading more than one reply at a time ;D ;D ;D

I've always thought Mickey Gilley summed it up very well back in the mid 70s with this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1975AYEC2s

So many truths in that song.....including:

If I could rate them on a scale from one to ten
I'm looking for a nine but eight could work right in
Few more drinks and I might slip to five or even four
But when tomorrow morning comes and I wake up with a number one
I swear I'll never do it anymore

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 07:14:49 AM »

So why can't the individual business decide if dogs can be allowed on patios in Michigan?

I have to imagine the pooch might help the Fuzz pick up women....

Some of that good ol' 'big guvnment watching over 'dumb' business people I guess...   health dept. related probably...  only accredited service dogs in grocery stores and restaurants...  probably a few others.  I see dogs in TSC and most of the pet stores on a regular basis.  Once in a while I hear a 'woof' but if I do it's usually because I have the BRD with me and it's her doing the woofing...   she can be a little intimidating at times!!!

Wow...  pretty girls go for pretty dogs...  what a concept 8) 8) 8)

It is so, so true too :) :) :)

I remember when my Dad bought a place on a lake over in western Michigan...  We had a medium sized dog mostly white but with a black patch over his eye...  his name escapes my declining memory at this moment...  I'd take him for a walk and the girls would just run over to talk to the dog and pet him.

Just a few weeks ago I had the BRD out in public and as we were walking a 'young gal' yelled at me from across the street that I sure did have a beautiful dog!  She appeared to be late for work or I'm thinking she would have wanted to pet her too!!!

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 07:20:16 AM »

I'd love to walk Sadie in Meijer's on Sunday mornings as the ladies are coming in still dressed in their church clothes.  I think I'd just hang around the sections with the open coolers.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 07:25:27 AM »

So many truths in that song.....including:

If I could rate them on a scale from one to ten
I'm looking for a nine but eight could work right in
Few more drinks and I might slip to five or even four
But when tomorrow morning comes and I wake up with a number one
I swear I'll never do it anymore

At one time I worked up in Bay City...  it had been a lumber town and then a shipping and railroad town and then ship and crane building...  lots of industry and a bar on every corner type of town...   and some of the bars even had 'sleeping rooms' upstairs. 

I had a guy that would ride back and forth to work with me pretty regularly so one payday night he said he'd buy a beer if I'd stop at one of those bars with him.  Even then I was pretty conscious about having too many to drink and then trying to drive so I told him I was drinking 2 and leaving...  with or without him...  he agreed of course.  Well, when it came time to leave he said he was going to stay and get a room (he'd done that before so didn't seem out of place) and could I just stop and pick him up in the morning and he'd buy me a coffee!  So I left (he was probably 20 years older than me so definitely old enough to know what he was doing) and when I turned the corner the next morning he was standing on the curb ready to jump in my truck and get out of there.  He said we weren't going back there for a long time and then told me the story of how along about closing time he started scouting and he saw his 8 or 9 sitting at the bar so he invited her upstairs...  and she joined him.

The next thing he remembers is the sun streaming in the window (a lot like this morning I would say) and him waking up with this creature...  he said he took one good look at her in the sunshine and got up and got out of there...  his comment I remember to this day...   "the only clean spots on her were where I'd been licking"!!! 

(I guess that story is sort of 'on topic' for this thread) ;D ;D ;D

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 07:34:51 AM »

Oh the memories!   ;D  ;)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up