MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Telegraph Road Crew Geniuses

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Telegraph Road Crew Geniuses  (Read 1912 times)

Flanders

• Hero Talker
Telegraph Road Crew Geniuses
« on: July 31, 2013, 08:49:07 AM »

Just wanted to give a shout out to the supervisor(s) who thought it would be acceptable to leave 3 inches of steel pipe protruding at random places in the work zone in front of Wal-Mart.  Kudo's to you oh genius for saving $20 on the materials and labor it would have taken put some fill in around these pipes.

Yes, let me repeat for anyone driving in the area.  These pipes are maybe 5" diameter and sticking up a few inches above the road.  They will certainly cause a flat on most tires.

Some were packed with asphalt, yet others, for unknown reasons were not.  You can see many of them on the double yellow line.  But of course, no one ever swerves or turns on a road, so why fill those in right??  Then another one can be found next to the yellow lines 99% in the lane.  And finally there is a pipe directly in the lane.  Nice work guys!  With all this time saving initiative, the road should be finished in a month...  8*

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Telegraph Road Crew Geniuses
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 09:35:38 AM »

Competitive bidding at work.  Lowest bid gets the job.  Expect no less.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 11:31:25 AM »

My best guess it that this happened at the request of Governor Snyder, Rep. Zorn and Sen. Richardville.  They do NOT want any smooth stretches of road anywhere in Monroe County.  If we were to encounter any smooth stretches it might remind us of all their 'campaign platforms' where all 3 ran on 'securing funding' for road repairs in all of Michigan for the Gov. and Monroe county especially for the other 2...   however, all we've got for 'results' so far is what little smoothing of the roads that has happened while these 3 'kicked the can' down the road another year and then another year and now it looks like it's at least one more year :( :( :(

I see Rep. Zorn is running for Sen. Richardville's open seat...   it must make it easier to run for an office when you just have to brush off the same campaign rhetoric you uttered for your last run and 'spout it all over again'...   since I'm quite sure it will still be very much a 'promise' the citizens of Monroe County will want to hear.

Especially with the new bridge from Canada dumping even more trucks onto our stretch of ultra smooth Interstate 75 so they can drive down to Ohio to buy their fuel and support all the smooth roads that are already in Ohio :o :o :o
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 11:57:36 AM »

I drove this stretch a couple of times yesterday in my youngest daughter's car and it was definitely a good test to make sure the rack and pinion and the tie rod ends all seemed to be in pretty good shape yet.

As I was heading north I notice a large Michigan State Police truck approaching from the opposite direction.  As I got close enough I could see that it was labeled 'MSP Bomb Squad'...    now I know enough about a bomb squad truck to know they carry live explosives onboard if they have been dispatched to an incident.  I was hoping the driver was watching out for all the 'obstacles' that Flanders mentioned (no, I really didn't see where he was exaggerating a bit...  especially those pipes that are right in the double yellow line...   I'm afraid the road crews have too much faith in the supposed power of those double yellows)!  I also hope the truck was just enroute to the fairgrounds for 'display' :o :o :o

Flanders

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 12:49:16 PM »

Oh nice.. Mi road crews shoddy work causes explosions!  I can see the headlines BRD!

And as you say, I'm totally not exaggerating.  There are actually pipes sticking up a few inches in the road.  Most are on the double yellow line... MOST!!  So anyone needing to turn left on the road, I'd suggest a good look before you do so.  And if you continue your journey, you'll see that some pipes are actually in the lane, not just on the yellow.. ehhh........

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 01:53:48 PM »

maybe they are going to paint them with reflective colors - like other places have so you can actually see the lines in dark rainy weather...

They tried it on East Dunbar between Telegraph and Raisinville Rd
(The reflectors)- but then they proceeded to cover them up with tar... 8*
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

nails

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 09:19:27 AM »

Another questionable bit of logic and expense . . . .

A couple days ago, they worked on some of the only part of Secor Road that didn't really need any work.  For those who aren't familiar with Secor road, from Temperance Road north to Samaria Rd. it is a very bumpy stretch of patches. From Temperance Rd. south it has been recently repaved and smooth. So guess what they spent their money doing. Laying about an inch of dusty pea gravel on the smooth part from Summerfield Rd. north to Consear Rd.  Yes, they covered the smooth pavement with stones and have done nothing to the rough stretch.

I know the old line . . . we did it to preserve the nice road. 
Well, the he** with preserving the nice road. Preserve my cars.
They are getting beat to death driving on the other portion.

Reminds me of a couple years ago when they got a grant of several hundred thousand dollars and they spent it repaving Luna Pier Rd. ( 151, Samaria Rd. ) between I-75 and U.S. 25.  That was the only part of Luna Pier Rd. that was nice and smooth. And they repaved it !!!
The reason given, well, it wasn't enough money for a big project, and we had to spend it somewhere. 

These things drive me right up the wall.

Just conversation . . . and maybe a little instigation . . . for your rumination.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 12:38:36 PM »

My best guess it that this happened at the request of Governor Snyder, Rep. Zorn and Sen. Richardville.  They do NOT want any smooth stretches of road anywhere in Monroe County.  If we were to encounter any smooth stretches it might remind us of all their 'campaign platforms' where all 3 ran on 'securing funding' for road repairs in all of Michigan for the Gov. and Monroe county especially for the other 2...   however, all we've got for 'results' so far is what little smoothing of the roads that has happened while these 3 'kicked the can' down the road another year and then another year and now it looks like it's at least one more year :( :( :(

I see Rep. Zorn is running for Sen. Richardville's open seat...   it must make it easier to run for an office when you just have to brush off the same campaign rhetoric you uttered for your last run and 'spout it all over again'...   since I'm quite sure it will still be very much a 'promise' the citizens of Monroe County will want to hear.

Especially with the new bridge from Canada dumping even more trucks onto our stretch of ultra smooth Interstate 75 so they can drive down to Ohio to buy their fuel and support all the smooth roads that are already in Ohio :o :o :o

The major difference between Ohio and Michigan is in Ohio, there are no depositories for good ole political boys, aka: Road Commissions.  The State handles the road work on everything but municipalities streets.

75 between Detroit and Toledo smooth?  You have to be asleep driving southbound or northbound.  It is better (smoother) between the 275 interchange and Outer Drive both ways but only marginally.  South of 275 is the pits.  Keep in mind that the last time it was repaved was John Carlo and that was at least 20 years ago and 75 carries more vehicular traffic north and southbound than any other road in the country.

Of course the old argument will arise about Michigan's liber weight limits (161,000 pounds) versus 80,000 pounds nationwide on Interstates, tearing up the road but that don't hold water (or add to the road destruction for a couple reasons.  One, the 161,000 limit is on 11 axles with each axle only being able to bear 13,000 pounds and the steer axle weight based on tire width (so long as the vehicle meets the Federal Bridge formula (which I won't get into here because it's complex) and Two, Ohio allows the samje GVW around Toldeo (on permit, just like Michigan because you have to plate for the weight and the kicker sticker isn't cheap) and Ohio allows Interstate and secondary road travel with extended weight limits on all it's roads, again under permit.

In essence, Michigan's 161K weight limit on 11 axles is actually less than  the rest of the country wich allows 80K gross on 5 axles (meeting Federal Bridge formula again).  To distill it further and in simple terms, road damage is done by individual axles, not the overall vehicle.  Here we have 13,000 pounds bearing on the road surface (each axle) versus 17,000 pounds (each axle) bearing on the road surface everywhere else.

Originally, the weight limit here was pushed for by the automakers so they could get their steel delivered on less vehicles with more payload (and save on shipping costs but of course not reduce the price of their vehicles...lol).  The big OEM stampers are basically gone, replaced by second tier stampers, nationwide, so if you want to point fingers, point them at the OEM automakers.

Finally, all interstates are built to Federal specification.  That specification requires that the road bed and surface is sufficient that in case of national emergency, tanks, heavy trucks, troop transport and aircraft can use the roadways for landing strips and movement.  However, if you don't MAINTAIN THE ROAD it goes to crap and that falls back on our political toilets, the Road Comissions.

IMO, get rid off ALL road comissions, save money and let the state maintain all roads and allow local jurisdictions to contract their road maintenance to private entities.

Until that occurs, the roads will stay poor and taxpayers will continue to reap the rewards of a failed system.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 05:19:34 PM »

Just wanted to give a shout out to the supervisor(s) who thought it would be acceptable to leave 3 inches of steel pipe protruding at random places in the work zone in front of Wal-Mart.  Kudo's to you oh genius for saving $20 on the materials and labor it would have taken put some fill in around these pipes.

Yes, let me repeat for anyone driving in the area.  These pipes are maybe 5" diameter and sticking up a few inches above the road.  They will certainly cause a flat on most tires.

Some were packed with asphalt, yet others, for unknown reasons were not.  You can see many of them on the double yellow line.  But of course, no one ever swerves or turns on a road, so why fill those in right??  Then another one can be found next to the yellow lines 99% in the lane.  And finally there is a pipe directly in the lane.  Nice work guys!  With all this time saving initiative, the road should be finished in a month...  8*

I couldn't understand the pipes sticking proud to the road surface until I drove it today.  Wow....I see why they are proud on a temporary bases but to your point it probably will blow out an expensive low profile tire if hit head on on a hot day.

Looks like they attempted on some that were in the area of the lane where tires generally go that they tried to round them out with some patch around the periphery.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 06:32:31 PM »

The City of Monroe Water Department has a hand in some additional confusion between the river and Stewart road before you get to the state construction zone (assuming you're heading north I guess).  They're had stretches of the entire right hand lane closed (at least during the day) all week. 

Now I know we've been talking about the construction zone on the north end of Telegraph for a couple of years so I'd think there would be a way that this could have been better co-ordinated :-\ :-\ :-\

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 01:29:09 AM »

I assume that they are survey marker covers. When the final coat of asphalt goes down they will be flush with the road.
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 07:28:27 AM »

They appear more like the utility (water) shut off's, as well as sewer manhole covers.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Flanders

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 09:34:45 AM »

I couldn't understand the pipes sticking proud to the road surface until I drove it today.  Wow....I see why they are proud on a temporary bases but to your point it probably will blow out an expensive low profile tire if hit head on on a hot day.

Looks like they attempted on some that were in the area of the lane where tires generally go that they tried to round them out with some patch around the periphery.

I know, right?  A left turn into Aldie's or Gordon Foods puts them into your path.  Not to mention the ones barely on the yellow or the one in the "almost" middle of the lane.

I mean how hard is it to round them all out?  Lazy Lazy Lazy.

excelsior

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 11:18:20 AM »

I drove through there a couple days ago and I agree that those steel protrusions could be a safety concern.

They should have left the road closed for a few more days until it was safe.
"The beginning of wisdom is a definition of terms." ~ Socrates

"No rational argument will have a rational effect on a man who does not want to adopt a rational attitude." ~ Karl Popper

"A rising tide lifts all the boats." ~ President John F. Kennedy

tnweasel

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 06:57:49 PM »

drove through there today....felt as though we were doing one of those driving tests where you have to swerve to miss the cones....not fun...but keeps the driver focused...maybe some of these fools can stop texting now and pay attention to the road....it's a master plan :)
"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did better." ~Maya Angelou

“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes to us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”  ~John Wayne
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up