MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Health > GMO's... Good or bad?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: GMO's... Good or bad?  (Read 29982 times)

Dan Hamilton

• Super Talker
Re: GMO's... Good or bad?
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2013, 05:28:14 PM »

I think it was a comparison that people will eat them (GMO's) if they are starving and have no choice.  Just as people would consume salt water and urine if they are dehydrated and have no other choice.

Yes, that's the point I was trying to make.

Just because starving people would be willing to eat the food, is not an endorsement that it is safe.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 06:12:37 PM by Dan Hamilton »

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
  • 1972 - 1975
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2013, 05:49:23 PM »

Back in the 50's the doctors convinced just about every pregnant women that the pill to prevent morning sickness was just fine to take.  Then all these babies came out with birth defects . . . .

I won't be around, but I wonder how things will be 50 years from now . . .

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2013, 07:49:05 PM »

I'm willing to try GMO pot seeds next year!

Does Monsanto sell those?

I am assuming you get 10 times the yield, and don't need the heat lamps?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2013, 08:42:40 AM »

Back in the 50's the doctors convinced just about every pregnant women that the pill to prevent morning sickness was just fine to take.  Then all these babies came out with birth defects . . . .

I won't be around, but I wonder how things will be 50 years from now . . .

FDA and USDA testing was practically non-existent back then, Erie, and the negative results of that medicine were known within months.  Genetically modified food has been in our food supply for hundreds of years, and food that has been engineered in the laboratory with specific genes has been in our food supply for decades.  EVERYONE has been eating it.  Yet, people haven't gotten sick from it, crop yields continue to rise, farmers are feeding more and more people, and hunger is now a political problem, rather than due to the lack of food.

I don't know how things will be 50 years from now, either.  The world population will probably be double what it is now, or pretty close to it. 

Where will all that food come from?
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2013, 01:45:19 PM »

Aspartame is GMO Poop

The patent for aspartame is now online, and it reveals how the artificial sweetener is made. Genetically modified E. coli bacteria are cultivated in tanks. They defecate proteins that contain aspartic acid-phenylalanine amino acid segments. That feces is collected and then treated through many chemical processes including methylation, which adds the toxic alcohol, methanol, to the mix.That's how aspartame is made. It might be time to rethink diet foods as healthy options.

The Resident: Aspartame is GMO Poop
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

livewire

• Hero Talker
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2013, 05:38:37 PM »

GMO poop?

Okie dokie.    8*

livewire

• Hero Talker
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2013, 06:49:55 PM »

I know a lot of people are concerned and confused about GMO's, and the big, bad companies that produce them.  But the fact is that by the year 2050, the world's population will be over 9 BILLION people.  The world has 219,000 new people in it - EVERY DAY.

Can the world's farmers boost agricultural production by 70% in the next 40 years or so?  Think about that.

Organic farming won't do it.  Non-GMO foods can't do it.  Even WITH all of today's latest technology, we will not be able to feed all those people.

The answer lies with improved technology, that will come from the biggest chemical and agricultural research companies in the world.

Very interesting article posted today on the Progressive Farmer website:

http://www.dtnprogressivefarmer.com/dtnag/common/link.do?symbolicName=/free/news/template1&paneContentId=5&paneParentId=70104&product=/ag/news/topstories&vendorReference=0353b2fa-34a2-481b-912d-1cb46058ad3a

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2013, 06:18:07 AM »

Neither you nor I will be here to worry about it.  Obviously, the WHO needs to start handing out more rubbers or IUD's.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2013, 02:37:47 PM »

LOL...here's something from a right-wing site:

Quiet Extension of the Monsanto Protection Act

While we've been trying to constrain our government in other areas, House Republicans have quietly included a 3 month extension for the Farmers Assurance Provision in the new spending bill — or as it's popularly known, the Monsanto Protection Act protested by 100's of thousands in May has been prolonged.

Quiet Extension of the Monsanto Protection Act

====

Washington farmer says GM crops contaminated his fields

Earlier this month, a local farmer reported to the Washington State Department of Agriculture that his hay was rejected for export because it tested positive for a genetically modified trait that was not supposed to be in his crop. Now, authorities are trying to figure out whether these claims are true and, if so, how the GM materials got into that crop. RT Correspondent Meghan Lopez takes a closer look at the case and its financial implications.

Washington farmer says GM crops contaminated his fields

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Edited to add:

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2013, 10:00:05 AM »

And a little something for the anti-Obama crowd:

Monsanto More Powerful Than The U.S. Government

It's called the Monsanto Protection Act among activists and concerned citizens who have been following the developments on the issue, and it consists of a legislative 'rider' inside (Farmer Assurance Provision, Sec. 735) a majority-wise unrelated Senate Continuing Resolution spending bill. You may already be aware of what this rider consists of, but in case not you will likely be blown away by the tenacity of Monsanto lobbyist goons.

If this rider passes with the bill, which could be as early as this week, Monsanto would have complete immunity from federal courts when it comes to their ability to act against any new Monsanto GMO crops that are suspected to be endangering the public or the environment (or considered to be planted illegally by the USDA). We're talking about courts that literally can do nothing to Monsanto if it's found that their newest creation may be promoting cancer, for example. Whether it's a GMO banana or an apple, Monsanto could continue planting the food abomination all it wants under court review.

Monsanto More Powerful Than The U.S. Government

====

Obama signs 'Monsanto Protection Act,' Frankenfish heads to US market

Obama signs 'Monsanto Protection Act,' Frankenfish heads to US market

====

Inside Story Americas : The controversial Monsanto Protection Act

It can be dificult to make an informed judgement on the safety of Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs), such is the impassioned reaction that greets each new study. At the very least, there is general agreement that much more research is required on a case by case basis into any potential health risks of GMOs. With that in mind the European Union has strict controls over their use while doubts persist, however here in the US, President Barack Obama last week approved a law giving the production and sale of GMOs and genetically modified food immunity.

Inside Story Americas - The controversial Monsanto Protection Act

====

Obama Signs The Monsanto Protection Act - Seeds Of Death- Full Movie

Obama signs Monsanto Protection Act! It's Time to Label GMOs! We regret to inform you that President Barack Obama has signed H.R. 933, which contained the Monsanto Protection Act, into law. President Obama knowingly signed the Monsanto Protection Act over the urgent pleas of more than 250,000 Americans who asked that he use his executive authority to veto it. President Obama failed to live up to his oath to protect the American people and our constitution.

Today we're calling on President Obama to issue an executive order to call for the mandatory labeling of genetically engineered foods. Not only is GMO labeling a reasonable and common sense solution to the continued controversy that corporations like Monsanto, DuPont and Dow Chemical have created by subverting our basic democratic rights, but it is a basic right that citizens in 62 other countries around the world already enjoy, including Europe, Russia, China, India, South Africa and Saudi Arabia.

Obama Signs The Monsanto Protection Act - Seeds Of Death- Full Movie

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2013, 12:00:48 PM »

Monsanto Protection Act stripped from Senate spending bill

The Monsanto Protection Act will expire at the end of this week, but its extension faces an uncertain future. The act - a provision quietly inserted into a spending bill signed into law last spring - was designed to allow Monsanto and other biotechnology companies to continue spreading genetically modified organisms despite a court ruling that those seeds may not meet certain environmental tests The effect of the law was to essentially make the GMO seed industry exempt from the US court system. The House, in the same spending bill that defunded Obamacare, extended the Monsanto Protection Act, but the Senate, which is currently working on its own spending bill, will not include an extension on the act. RT's Sam Sacks tells us how GMOs may affect the potential government shutdown next week.

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

livewire

• Hero Talker
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2013, 12:11:25 PM »

The Monsanto Protection Act will expire at the end of this week, but its extension faces an uncertain future. The act - a provision quietly inserted into a spending bill signed into law last spring - was designed to allow Monsanto and other biotechnology companies to continue spreading genetically modified organisms despite a court ruling that those seeds may not meet certain environmental tests The effect of the law was to essentially make the GMO seed industry exempt from the US court system. The House, in the same spending bill that defunded Obamacare, extended the Monsanto Protection Act, but the Senate, which is currently working on its own spending bill, will not include an extension on the act. RT's Sam Sacks tells us how GMOs may affect the potential government shutdown next week.

This was originally signed into law by your lord, Obama, in March of this year.  So why are you against it?

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2013, 12:21:48 PM »

This was originally signed into law by your lord, Obama, in March of this year.  So why are you against it?
Don't forget that I created the topic: Obama: The most polarizing moderate ever
http://monroetalks.com/forum/index.php?topic=25464.0

Which contains many examples of where I felt Obama took positions that are contrary to progressive principles.

So having the Senate strip the act was a good thing.

Giving corporations free reign without recourse to anyone that may be harmed is wrong.

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2013, 03:15:17 PM »

Ya know, I really can't think of a more polarizing president/moderate than what he has turned into.  I really got suckered in by his "Change" platform (even though I didn't vote for him nor his major party opponent) when in fact, it is WORSE than usual.  I really do think this guy has helped make a bad situation worse in polarizing leaders I have ever seen.  I can't even watch him on TV without thinking "F'ing Liar"!
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

livewire

• Hero Talker
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2013, 05:47:18 PM »

Ya know, I really can't think of a more polarizing president/moderate than what he has turned into.  I really got suckered in by his "Change" platform (even though I didn't vote for him nor his major party opponent) when in fact, it is WORSE than usual.  I really do think this guy has helped make a bad situation worse in polarizing leaders I have ever seen.  I can't even watch him on TV without thinking "F'ing Liar"!

Agreed.

And yet, he got re-elected.  That's why I think this country is doomed. 

People are lied to, and they eat it up.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16   Go Up