MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Health > GMO's... Good or bad?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: GMO's... Good or bad?  (Read 29935 times)

Hearshear

• Hero Talker
Re: GMO's... Good or bad?
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2014, 04:44:08 PM »

I just want to see mandatory labeling nationwide, really shouldn't we be able to decide for ourselves whether or not we consume GMO's. This way I can try to avoid it and live in his unflinching belief can switch to a pure diet of it. Knowledge is always a good thing, consumers deserve to be informed.
The cost of printing new labels? Really is that a joke or do you believe that to be an actual hurdle?

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2014, 04:55:53 PM »

Whatever floats your boat, Hearshear.  Do you eat all non-GMO foods now?

And no, the added cost doesn't pertain only to the cost of printing new labels. 

Is THAT a joke?  Or were you serious?
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

nails

• Hero Talker
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2014, 04:59:17 PM »

I really don't think there is a "problem", exactly, other than the cost, which I think is ridiculously unnecessary.

That said, personally I think most people that are against labeling are of the opinion that they KNOW GMO's aren't bad, and they see labeling as a waste.  A waste of money, as well as being uninformative.
What good does a "label" do, if it doesn't identify any risks, and it is on almost all products?

With all the labels on food and every other product, proclaiming "new" "ultra" "fat free" "gluten free" etc. etc., you'll never convince me that an extra label or line on an existing label is the deciding factor.
And I think most labels contain waste. 

There might be a lot of reasons for and against the label, but that isn't it.

Just conversation . . . and maybe a little instigation . . . for your rumination.

Curmudgeon in training.

Hearshear

• Hero Talker
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2014, 05:26:41 AM »

No I don't eat all non GMO products now, precisely because our products are not labeled in a way for me to tell. They should be.
I know this has become a political pipedream in America. Monsanto and the GMA have purchased way to many politicians. What's funny is that your plugging for them for free. Reminds me of something Ron White says.

lilly

• Hero Talker
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2014, 09:50:35 AM »

I'm thinking the title of this thread is very misleading.
The Republican Party is now a sinkhole of ignorance and bigotry.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2014, 11:01:07 AM »

Agribusiness turns from GMOs to mutagenesis

Genetically modified organisms (or GMOs) aren't the only unregulated way to modify the genetics of crops. As GMOs get more bad press and lobbying movements against them, chemical companies are increasingly turning to mutagenesis, a process that changes the genetic information of an organism in a stable way, resulting in a genetic mutation.

====

GMO foods up for debate: To label or not to label

This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2014, 10:19:37 PM »

Genetically modified organisms (or GMOs) aren't the only unregulated way to modify the genetics of crops. As GMOs get more bad press and lobbying movements against them, chemical companies are increasingly turning to mutagenesis, a process that changes the genetic information of an organism in a stable way, resulting in a genetic mutation.

====

They could be in that tubesteak you so like to suck on..........
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
  • 1972 - 1975
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2014, 02:04:12 PM »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/28/us-brazil-corn-pests-idUSKBN0FX1YG20140728?feedType=RSS&feedName=environmentNews

I know that we haven't talked about this in a while, but I thought this looked . . . appetizing! :)

livewire

• Hero Talker
« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2014, 12:30:32 PM »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/28/us-brazil-corn-pests-idUSKBN0FX1YG20140728?feedType=RSS&feedName=environmentNews

I know that we haven't talked about this in a while, but I thought this looked . . . appetizing! :)

Just saw this...

Brazilian farmers are producing two corn crops per year. Practically non-stop farming. No winter. Then these guys actually failed to plant refuge corn in the GM corn fields. Recipe for disaster. Now, instead of the GM corn, they will be forced to spray very toxic chemicals to control the bugs.

I'd take GM corn over toxic chemicals any day!!! Lol

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2014, 06:41:13 PM »

I seem to remember hearing farmers talk about crop rotation and that corn was one that would really zap the nutrients out of the soil. 

Is that not the case anymore Cowboy, or have the fertilizers helped on overcoming that requirement?
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

sammy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2014, 06:58:02 PM »

I seem to remember hearing farmers talk about crop rotation and that corn was one that would really zap the nutrients out of the soil. 

Is that not the case anymore Cowboy, or have the fertilizers helped on overcoming that requirement?
IMO, crop rotation is always a good idea. Some  of the good rotation crops, like alfalfa, have been phased out on a lot of farms, because they no longer have cattle to eat the hay. Still, corn-wheat-beans is better than corn-corn-corn.

livewire

• Hero Talker
« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2014, 11:15:09 PM »

Generally, crop rotation is a good idea.

However, there are farmers that grow continuous corn, successfully.  Yes Fuzz, corn does take a lot of nutrients out of the ground - but most farmers fertilize accordingly, so the nutrients aren't depleted in the ground.  Soybeans take a lot of nutrients too, but not as much as corn.  Even a basic corn - soybeans rotation, like what I do, works well.  Doesn't do much for the nutrients, but it breaks the cycle for many pests - insects, weeds and diseases, which increases yields.  The farmers in Brazil are planting continuous corn, TWO crops a year, which will allow insects and diseases to build from crop to crop, without even a winter to stop the cycle. On top of that, they are using GM seed in the wrong way, with no refuge seed.  This forces the insects to adapt the the BT corn trait, and become immune to it.  That forces the farmers to use some really nasty chemicals to control the insects. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 11:19:23 PM by livewire »

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #117 on: September 29, 2014, 08:36:15 AM »

Thanks......makes sense.

Oh....The basement stair well rocks.  Good job.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

livewire

• Hero Talker
« Reply #118 on: September 29, 2014, 09:33:51 AM »

Thanks......makes sense.

Oh....The basement stair well rocks.  Good job.

Oh, thanks!  I'm sorry it took so damn long.  I have far too many irons in the fire. 

I REALLY appreciate your patience!

I'm planning on finishing it tomorrow.  I painted the doors and sides here at the shop last week.  It should look awesome when it's done.

It's strong enough, you can drive a truck down there.  LMAO!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #119 on: September 29, 2014, 09:39:09 AM »

We do Wheat, Corn, Beans rotation - and sometimes you can double crop beans after wheat - (not this year - too late)
It all depends on how much you want or are willing to pay for fertilizer.

I often wondered how the corn maze people did corn corn corn corn... 

And Fuzz...   I gotta admit of all the fun places to do it - I never considered the basement stairs  ;D
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16   Go Up