MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Health > GMO's... Good or bad?

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: GMO's... Good or bad?  (Read 30011 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: GMO's... Good or bad?
« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2015, 11:02:52 AM »

I don't recall taking a position on it either way.

I'm merely sharing the info that I stumbled upon that seemed related to the subject.

Not really sure why the right is so opposed to education.

Education and opinion are two different things.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2015, 11:33:56 AM »

Education and opinion are two different things.
And it's the right that constantly demands nothing but opinions on MT.

The folks on those videos made some very goods points.

While the opinions of the righties on this forum are of the stinky variety you recently spoke of.
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2015, 11:47:28 AM »

Personally, I have not seen enough studies or facts to form an opinion either way regarding GMO.  Technology has brought about many good things, some found later and after the fact of implementation that was not good.

Long term studies and monitoring will tell the story in the end on this subject, but as it stands it is the seed and chemical companies profiting probably more than the farmers are.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2015, 11:49:55 AM »

Yep...and now the news is that Roundup is probably carcinogenic.
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/mar/21/roundup-cancer-who-glyphosate-

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Edited to add:

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #139 on: May 24, 2015, 07:58:20 AM »

Yep...and now the news is that Roundup is probably carcinogenic.
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/mar/21/roundup-cancer-who-glyphosate-

PROBABLY carcinogenic? ? ? ? ? ?

So is bacon.

So is coffee.

So is sunlight.

Should these things be banned?

There is NO proof from any legitimate regulatory agency that says Glyphosate is carcinogenic.

What most people fail to understand is this:  The use of GMO crops (Roundup Ready soybeans, corn, etc.), as well as GM corn that uses a naturally occurring bacteria to fight against insect damage, allows farmers to grow crops using SAFER herbicides (Glyphosate) and in many cases NO insecticides to battle rootworms.  Before Roundup Ready crops, farmers used a variety of VERY nasty chemicals to battle weeds and insects.  Most of the old chemicals used to fight insects were deadly to beneficial insects as well.  GM crops allow farmers to use SAFER chemicals - safer for the crops, safer for the farmer, safer for the environment, and safer for the consumer.

Will Roundup cause cancer?  I suppose so, if you drink the stuff every day.  Many of the old chemicals were KNOWN to cause cancer.  GM crops have allowed us to prevent their use.

Genetically Modified crops have been around for decades, with NO sign of harm to anyone.

The world is a better place with GMO's in it, and I haven't seen ANY proof to the contrary.
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #140 on: May 24, 2015, 08:18:30 AM »

What most people fail to understand is this:  The use of GMO crops (Roundup Ready soybeans, corn, etc.), as well as GM corn that uses a naturally occurring bacteria to fight against insect damage, allows farmers to grow crops using SAFER herbicides (Glyphosate) and in many cases NO insecticides to battle rootworms.  Before Roundup Ready crops, farmers used a variety of VERY nasty chemicals to battle weeds and insects.  Most of the old chemicals used to fight insects were deadly to beneficial insects as well.  GM crops allow farmers to use SAFER chemicals - safer for the crops, safer for the farmer, safer for the environment, and safer for the consumer.

I figured there had to be some economic benefits, and environmental advantages for the farming industry.  Those make sense, Cowboy......thanks for pointing that out.

We have polluted our food chain for so long with processed foods that the only way one could consume 100% safe food is to go the fresh only and organic route.  Not sure many have the time in today's world to do that.  Oh yes, the price we pay for conveniences is a dog eat dog world.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #141 on: May 24, 2015, 02:59:30 PM »

The ingredient labels on most prepared stuff today reads like a chemical factory handbook.  Hell, I cannot even pronounce some of the stuff.

I like the pharmaceutical ads on TV nowdays.  Take this to relieve that but you have all these side effects.  But don't forget to consult your doctor.

I saw one ad and the disclaimer part sounded like a car salesman spewing his lines on a one of those Hundai commercials....

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #142 on: May 26, 2015, 11:04:17 PM »

PROBABLY carcinogenic? ? ? ? ? ?

So is bacon.

So is coffee.

So is sunlight.

Should these things be banned?

There is NO proof from any legitimate regulatory agency that says Glyphosate is carcinogenic.

Will Roundup cause cancer?  I suppose so, if you drink the stuff every day.  Many of the old chemicals were KNOWN to cause cancer.  GM crops have allowed us to prevent their use.

Genetically Modified crops have been around for decades, with NO sign of harm to anyone.

The world is a better place with GMO's in it, and I haven't seen ANY proof to the contrary.
Who said anything about banning?

Last I heard...some people just want to be able to informed decisions.

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #143 on: August 05, 2015, 11:08:26 AM »

Meet the top politicians being paid to make GMO labeling illegal

New documents from OpenSecrets claim that House of Representatives lawmakers who voted for the Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act of 2015, a law which would stop any labeling of GMO foods, were paid at least three times as much by food industry lobbyists compared to other members of the chamber.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MjEXmem7a4

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #144 on: August 30, 2015, 02:02:11 PM »

Scientists call for new review of herbicide, cite 'flawed' U.S. regulations

U.S. regulators have relied on flawed and outdated research to allow expanded use of an herbicide linked to cancer, and new assessments should be urgently conducted, according to a column published in the New England Journal of Medicine on Wednesday.

There are two key factors that necessitate regulatory action to protect human health, according to the column: a sharp increase in herbicide applied to widely planted genetically modified (GMO) crops used in food, and a recent World Health Organization (WHO) determination that the most commonly used herbicide, known as glyphosate, is probably a human carcinogen.

The opinion piece was written by Dr. Philip Landrigan, a Harvard-educated paediatrician and epidemiologist who is Dean for Global Health at the Mount Sinai Medical Centre in New York, and Chuck Benbrook, an adjunct professor at Washington State University's crops and soil science department.

"There is growing evidence that glyphosate is geno-toxic and has adverse effects on cells in a number of different ways," Benbrook said. "It's time to pull back ... on uses of glyphosate that we know are leading to significant human exposures while the science gets sorted out."

The column argues that GMO foods and herbicides applied to them "may pose hazards to human health" not previously assessed.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/19/health-cancer-herbicide-idUSKCN0QO28D20150819

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #145 on: August 30, 2015, 08:01:34 PM »

Scientists call for new review of herbicide, cite 'flawed' U.S. regulations

U.S. regulators have relied on flawed and outdated research to allow expanded use of an herbicide linked to cancer, and new assessments should be urgently conducted, according to a column published in the New England Journal of Medicine on Wednesday.

There are two key factors that necessitate regulatory action to protect human health, according to the column: a sharp increase in herbicide applied to widely planted genetically modified (GMO) crops used in food, and a recent World Health Organization (WHO) determination that the most commonly used herbicide, known as glyphosate, is probably a human carcinogen.

The opinion piece was written by Dr. Philip Landrigan, a Harvard-educated paediatrician and epidemiologist who is Dean for Global Health at the Mount Sinai Medical Centre in New York, and Chuck Benbrook, an adjunct professor at Washington State University's crops and soil science department.

"There is growing evidence that glyphosate is geno-toxic and has adverse effects on cells in a number of different ways," Benbrook said. "It's time to pull back ... on uses of glyphosate that we know are leading to significant human exposures while the science gets sorted out."

The column argues that GMO foods and herbicides applied to them "may pose hazards to human health" not previously assessed.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/19/health-cancer-herbicide-idUSKCN0QO28D20150819

So, one whacko liberal doctor writes an OPINION based on NOTHING, and that means GMO's are now bad?

You liberals are so damn gullible.
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #146 on: August 30, 2015, 10:31:00 PM »

Not to worry.  I'm sure Fry believes his food comes from the grocery store......

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #147 on: August 31, 2015, 12:00:38 AM »

So, one whacko liberal doctor writes an OPINION based on NOTHING, and that means GMO's are now bad?

You liberals are so damn gullible.
Well when one compares your credentials against those of the scientists...I'd say your GED doesn't lend credence to your opinion.

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #148 on: September 02, 2015, 09:00:17 AM »

Farmers ditching Monsanto as GMO backlash grows

An increasing number of American farmers are opting out of planting GMO crops because of a lack of demand worldwide. With more countries banning the use of or placing limits on foods made with genetically modified ingredients, it is making less economic sense for farmers to use seeds from the likes of Monsanto and other agri-giants, as RT’s Manuel Rapalo explains.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EItlGyylRp0

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #149 on: September 06, 2015, 01:17:49 AM »

The Real Reason to Worry About GMOs

In a recent column, the New York Times' Mark Bittman makes an important point about the controversy around genetically modified foods. "To date there's little credible evidence that any food grown with genetic engineering techniques is dangerous to human health," he writes. Yet the way the technology has been used—mainly, to engineer crops that can withstand herbicides—is deeply problematic, he argues.

Here's why I think Bittman's point is crucial. The below chart, from the pro-biotech International Service for the Acquisition of Agri-biotech Applications, gives a snapshot of what types of GMO crops farmers were planting as of 2012. In more recent reports, the ISAAA doesn't break out its data in the same way, but it's a fair assumption that things are roughly similar three years later, given that no GMO blockbusters have entered the market since.

If you add up all the herbicide-tolerant crops on the list, you find that about 69 percent of global GM acres are planted with crops engineered to withstand herbicides. But that's an undercount, because the GM products listed as "stacked traits" are engineered to repel insects (the Bt trait) and to withstand herbicides. Adding those acres in, the grand total comes to something like 84 percent of global biotech acres devoted to crops that can flourish when doused with weed killers—chemicals that are sold by the very same companies that sell the GMO seeds.

As Bittman points out, almost all of the herbicide-tolerant crops on the market to date have been engineered to resist a single herbicide, glyphosate. And weeds have evolved to resist that herbicide, forcing farmers to apply heavier doses and or added older, more toxic chemicals to the mix.

Rather than reconsider the wisdom of committing tens of millions of acres to crops developed to resist a single herbicide, the industry plans to double down: Monsanto and rival Dow will both be marketing crops next year engineered to withstand both glyphosate and more-toxic herbicides—even though scientists like Penn State University's David Mortensen are convinced that the new products are "likely to increase the severity of resistant weeds" and "facilitate a significant increase in herbicide use."

Meanwhile, unhappily, the World Health Organization has recently decreed glyphosate, sold by Monsanto under the Roundup brand name, a "probable carcinogen"—a designation Monsanto is vigorously trying to get rescinded.

So, given that 20 years after GM crops first appeared on farm fields, something like four-fifths of global biotech acres are still devoted to herbicide-tolerant crops, Bittman's unease about how the technology has been deployed seems warranted. It's true that genetically altered apples and potatoes that don't brown as rapidly when they're sliced will soon hit the market. They may prove to be a benign development. But it's doubtful that they'll spread over enough acres to rival herbicide-tolerant crops anytime soon. And humanity has thrived for millennia despite the scourge of fast-browning apples and potatoes. The same isn't true for ever-increasing deluges of toxic herbicides.
http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2015/03/bittman-right-its-not-gmos-its-how-theyre-used

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16   Go Up