MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Health > GMO's... Good or bad?

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: GMO's... Good or bad?  (Read 30055 times)

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
Re: GMO's... Good or bad?
« Reply #150 on: September 06, 2015, 09:41:58 AM »

The Real Reason to Worry About GMOs

In a recent column, the New York Times' Mark Bittman makes an important point about the controversy around genetically modified foods. "To date there's little credible evidence that any food grown with genetic engineering techniques is dangerous to human health," he writes. Yet the way the technology has been used—mainly, to engineer crops that can withstand herbicides—is deeply problematic, he argues.

Here's why I think Bittman's point is crucial. The below chart, from the pro-biotech International Service for the Acquisition of Agri-biotech Applications, gives a snapshot of what types of GMO crops farmers were planting as of 2012. In more recent reports, the ISAAA doesn't break out its data in the same way, but it's a fair assumption that things are roughly similar three years later, given that no GMO blockbusters have entered the market since.

If you add up all the herbicide-tolerant crops on the list, you find that about 69 percent of global GM acres are planted with crops engineered to withstand herbicides. But that's an undercount, because the GM products listed as "stacked traits" are engineered to repel insects (the Bt trait) and to withstand herbicides. Adding those acres in, the grand total comes to something like 84 percent of global biotech acres devoted to crops that can flourish when doused with weed killers—chemicals that are sold by the very same companies that sell the GMO seeds.

As Bittman points out, almost all of the herbicide-tolerant crops on the market to date have been engineered to resist a single herbicide, glyphosate. And weeds have evolved to resist that herbicide, forcing farmers to apply heavier doses and or added older, more toxic chemicals to the mix.

Rather than reconsider the wisdom of committing tens of millions of acres to crops developed to resist a single herbicide, the industry plans to double down: Monsanto and rival Dow will both be marketing crops next year engineered to withstand both glyphosate and more-toxic herbicides—even though scientists like Penn State University's David Mortensen are convinced that the new products are "likely to increase the severity of resistant weeds" and "facilitate a significant increase in herbicide use."

Meanwhile, unhappily, the World Health Organization has recently decreed glyphosate, sold by Monsanto under the Roundup brand name, a "probable carcinogen"—a designation Monsanto is vigorously trying to get rescinded.

So, given that 20 years after GM crops first appeared on farm fields, something like four-fifths of global biotech acres are still devoted to herbicide-tolerant crops, Bittman's unease about how the technology has been deployed seems warranted. It's true that genetically altered apples and potatoes that don't brown as rapidly when they're sliced will soon hit the market. They may prove to be a benign development. But it's doubtful that they'll spread over enough acres to rival herbicide-tolerant crops anytime soon. And humanity has thrived for millennia despite the scourge of fast-browning apples and potatoes. The same isn't true for ever-increasing deluges of toxic herbicides.
http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2015/03/bittman-right-its-not-gmos-its-how-theyre-used

And what happens if Roundup Ready seed is banned?

The article above ADMITS that without Roundup, farmers will revert back to MORE HARMFUL herbicides. So why the push to eliminate glyphosate?
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #151 on: September 06, 2015, 08:55:55 PM »

Live:

It's cut and paste.  Nothing more.  Fry don't know the difference between alfalfa and soybeans and the closest he's probably ever got to 'farming' is growing a couple 'mater' plants from Meijers in his tiny plot behind his abode.

Not even worth commenting about.

IOW, he don't know shitte other than what he reads and can copy from somewhere....
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #152 on: September 07, 2015, 07:28:11 AM »

And what happens if Roundup Ready seed is banned?

The article above ADMITS that without Roundup, farmers will revert back to MORE HARMFUL herbicides. So why the push to eliminate glyphosate?
It didn't say that at all.

Here try this sentence:

And weeds have evolved to resist that herbicide, forcing farmers to apply heavier doses and or added older, more toxic chemicals to the mix.
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #153 on: September 07, 2015, 07:32:41 AM »

Live:

It's cut and paste.  Nothing more.  Fry don't know the difference between alfalfa and soybeans and the closest he's probably ever got to 'farming' is growing a couple 'mater' plants from Meijers in his tiny plot behind his abode.

Not even worth commenting about.

IOW, he don't know shitte other than what he reads and can copy from somewhere....
I know that you covet his wife.

And now LW and CL know it too.

It's sad that just because you're married to someone that's employed in government...that you can crap on whomever you please with impunity.

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Edited to add:

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

livewire

• Hero Talker
« Reply #154 on: September 07, 2015, 09:48:56 AM »

Here try this sentence:

And weeds have evolved to resist that herbicide, forcing farmers to apply heavier doses and or added older, more toxic chemicals to the mix.

I'm glad you quoted the part of your article that says the older herbicides are more toxic than glyphosate.

You just made my point.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #155 on: September 07, 2015, 09:53:39 AM »

I'm glad you quoted the part of your article that says the older herbicides are more toxic than glyphosate.

You just made my point.
It seems your record of not understanding what you've read remains the same.

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

livewire

• Hero Talker
« Reply #156 on: September 07, 2015, 04:10:09 PM »

It seems your record of not understanding what you've read remains the same.

Are you always such a fvcking moron?  Or just most of the time?

Here, I'll highlight YOUR quote for you.  Read it slowly.

Here try this sentence:

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #157 on: September 07, 2015, 09:28:51 PM »

Isn't it amazing how you read what you want to read into an article - when it doesn't say what you think it does - all based on preconceived notions?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #158 on: September 09, 2015, 10:11:55 AM »

Are you always such a fvcking moron?  Or just most of the time?

Here, I'll highlight YOUR quote for you.  Read it slowly.
LOL...maybe you ought to confer with someone that can help you understand what you've read.

I'm beginning to wonder if your exposure to chemicals may have played a role in your condition.

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

livewire

• Hero Talker
« Reply #159 on: September 09, 2015, 11:00:03 AM »

LOL...maybe you ought to confer with someone that can help you understand what you've read.

I'm beginning to wonder if your exposure to chemicals may have played a role in your condition.

So you ARE a fvcking moron most of the time.  Got it.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #160 on: September 09, 2015, 11:15:51 AM »

Perhaps...but at least I'm able to remain civil rather than act like a raving lunatic.

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #161 on: September 09, 2015, 11:41:37 AM »

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #162 on: September 09, 2015, 11:52:52 AM »

MOST OF THE TIME??

Only when he's asleep he isn't a focking moron. ;D

No point in debating him on GMO's.  He knows nothing about farming other than what he reads or copies to this forum.....

His food comes from the grocery store.....lol
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

lilly

• Hero Talker
« Reply #163 on: September 09, 2015, 12:02:59 PM »

You just made my point.
Actually you just made his point.

They are increasing the amount of glyphosate AND adding other toxins because the weeds are becoming more resistant to glyphosate.
The Republican Party is now a sinkhole of ignorance and bigotry.

livewire

• Hero Talker
« Reply #164 on: September 09, 2015, 05:37:46 PM »

Actually you just made his point.

They are increasing the amount of glyphosate AND adding other toxins because the weeds are becoming more resistant to glyphosate.

Sorry, but you're wrong.

My premise is that GMO's are NOT harmful.

Frenchfry's premise is that GMO's ARE harmful.

The statement you quoted merely says that farmers are occasionally increasing the amount of glyphosate, or using other chemicals to do the job, as some weeds become more resistant to glyphosate.  This is true.  But this is NOT proof that GMO's are harmful.  It simply means that the GMO's may need to be modified to use different chemicals (Liberty Link soybeans, for example). 

The fact that farmers HAVE GMO's in their list of options means they aren't FORCED to use the older, more harmful chemicals.  Glyphosate is very safe, by comparison to many other herbicides.

So, how many years have you been farming?  I'm just curious where you got this vast knowledge base regarding herbicide use.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Up