MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Health > GMO's... Good or bad?

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: GMO's... Good or bad?  (Read 29978 times)

lilly

• Hero Talker
Re: GMO's... Good or bad?
« Reply #180 on: September 11, 2015, 01:27:30 AM »

All well and good but GM's reduce the need to apply herbicides and pesticides and that inculdes glyphosate among others.....

You cannot have it both ways unlike people want to believe you can....
Bees account for approximately 1/3 of our food production through pollination. No need to apply herbicides if the plants can't produce food.
The Republican Party is now a sinkhole of ignorance and bigotry.

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #181 on: September 11, 2015, 08:42:09 AM »

Denigrating someone is so much easier than having to do research and making a reasonable reply, isn't it LW?

I wasn't talking to you.  Frenchfry doesn't deserve respect from me, so I don't give him any.

When honeybees come into contact with glyphosate, the primary active ingredient in Monsanto's Roundup herbicide, they lose their ability to eat and have a much harder time learning how to forage properly. These are among the many shock findings of a recent study published in The Journal of Experimental Biology, which for the first time demonstrates both chronic and acute effects in honeybees exposed to Roundup at real-life levels.

A combined laboratory and field analysis conducted by researchers from the University of Buenos Aires in Argentina found that Roundup exhibits harm at sub-lethal levels, meaning levels that don't necessarily kill bees but that still affect them. Using the Apis mellifera type of honeybee, which is a primary pollinator in most agricultural environments, the team looked at how bees respond to trace levels of Roundup that match what they might find in a real-world foraging situation.

Acceptable losses, considering the good that GM crops are doing.

I also noticed you failed to answer any of my questions, while I have attempted to answer all of yours.  It seems you prefer to simply post opinion pieces that try to support your position, rather than having an actual DIALOG, where we both can learn something.

You do realize that if farmers didn't have Glyphosate to use, they would be using much more harmful herbicides, that kill even MORE bees??

You do realize that if farmers didn't have GM crops, they would be spraying insecticides that directly KILL honeybees?

Again, this is TWO different arguments. You are aware that there are advantages to GM crops BESIDES the ability to spray glyphosate, right?  I asked you that before, but you never answered.  By your posts, it appears that you don't understand this.
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

lilly

• Hero Talker
« Reply #182 on: September 11, 2015, 01:19:25 PM »

Acceptable losses, considering the good that GM crops are doing.
That may be your opinion but not mine.

We have managed to survive for thousands of years without using pesticides, but since we have we have noticed cancer rates, child birth deformity rates, autism rates all skyrocket. You claim that there is no connection and even if there is that the good benefits outweigh the bad.

I disagree.

And yes, whenever I have a choice between using GMO food and Organic food I choose the organic.

It may cost more but the taste is much better. I'll take a heirloom or beef steak tomato over those genetically modified ones any day.

Oh, and if you get a chance try the Irish butter they have at Meijer. It comes from grass fed cows that haven't been fed that GMO crap. Very tasty.

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
  • 1972 - 1975
« Reply #183 on: September 11, 2015, 01:44:37 PM »

I agree with you lilly.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #184 on: September 11, 2015, 10:40:43 PM »

No wonder my garden stuff is so popular with the family and friends.  Orgaincally grown on horse shitte and the horses only get hay....

I had spuds the size of grapeftuits this year...  Not done digging yet....
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

livewire

• Hero Talker
« Reply #185 on: September 12, 2015, 08:53:44 AM »

And yes, whenever I have a choice between using GMO food and Organic food I choose the organic.

It may cost more but the taste is much better. I'll take a heirloom or beef steak tomato over those genetically modified ones any day.

Actually, I prefer the taste of an heirloom tomato compared to commercial varieties as well. However, that has nothing to do with the topic, since those "other" tomatoes are NOT genetically modified.

Didn't know that, huh?

You just proved to me that you have no clue what your talking about. You hate something that you THOUGHT was GM, but it's not.

There are NO Genetically Modified tomatoes currently in production in the United States.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #186 on: September 12, 2015, 08:59:14 AM »

Actually, I prefer the taste of an heirloom tomato compared to commercial varieties as well. However, that has nothing to do with the topic, since those "other" tomatoes are NOT genetically modified.

Didn't know that, huh?

You just proved to me that you have no clue what your talking about. You hate something that you THOUGHT was GM, but it's not.

There are NO Genetically Modified tomatoes currently in production in the United States.
So according to you...only USA grown fruit and vegetables are sold in the US?
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

livewire

• Hero Talker
« Reply #187 on: September 12, 2015, 09:21:21 AM »

Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say that.

There are no GM tomatoes in production in NORTH AMERICA or EUROPE.

They have basically disappeared, worldwide. The "advantages" of the first GM tomatoes weren't that great to justify their cost. The tomatoes you buy in Kroger may taste bad, but it's not because they are GM.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #188 on: September 12, 2015, 09:32:09 AM »

The difference between a commercially grown / harvested tomato and  a regionally grown / harvested tomato is the amount of time from harvest to your salad. and thats what impacts taste, nothing more.  Your garden tomatoes come right off the vine (or your neighbors vine) and get consumed right away.

Now, sauce tomato's are different.  Sauce tomatoes (which are widely grown around here) are force ripened for one.  They are also inedible in their picked for shipment state and then get cooked, canned and mixed with other ingredients to make tomato products like spaghetti sauce and paste....

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #189 on: September 12, 2015, 09:33:16 AM »

Gee....  Avacado's are a product of 'Hencho Mexico'.....

livewire

• Hero Talker
« Reply #190 on: September 12, 2015, 09:38:38 AM »

I'm sure Frenchie is frantically searching the internet for a GM tomato right now...   8*

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #191 on: September 12, 2015, 09:48:23 AM »

I'm sure Frenchie is frantically searching the internet for a GM tomato right now...   8*

The largest 'one' is sitting on it's shoulders....

lilly

• Hero Talker
« Reply #192 on: September 12, 2015, 03:54:48 PM »

Didn't know that, huh?

All it "proved" was that I made a mistake of not checking something before I posted.

I'll try and make sure not to make that mistake again.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #193 on: September 12, 2015, 03:57:04 PM »

Is the pot in distribution in legal states GMO or not?  Not sure of why that question just popped into my mind, my one hitter is always found on the floor somewhere.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #194 on: September 13, 2015, 11:06:39 AM »

Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say that.

There are no GM tomatoes in production in NORTH AMERICA or EUROPE.

They have basically disappeared, worldwide. The "advantages" of the first GM tomatoes weren't that great to justify their cost. The tomatoes you buy in Kroger may taste bad, but it's not because they are GM.
Does that mean GMO tomatoes aren't available in the United States?
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up