MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > aerial spraying on phragmites

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: aerial spraying on phragmites  (Read 373 times)

Deanna

• Hero Talker
aerial spraying on phragmites
« on: September 14, 2013, 04:32:17 PM »

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2013/sep/14/helicopter-assault-invasive-plant-wreaking-havoc-m/
So what are they using?  #6 on the list which is responsible pesticide use and used as a last resort when biological and mechanical controls don't work.  So I guess it's safe to assume they have tried #1-#5 already?  I do recall hearing about a couple controlled burns this year.
Integrated pest management?

Here are a few things I found that are interesting on aierial spraying in Colombia using roundup ultra and a surfectant.  This was in 2001 so things may have changed...hopefully for the better.

In Colombia, the surfactant Cosmo-Flux 411F is added to the mix even though the label for
Roundup Ultra also warns that “this is an end-use product. Monsanto does not intend and has
not registered it for reformulation.”
6. The ingredients of Cosmo-Flux 411F have not been
disclosed. Neither the U.S. nor the Colombian government has made available any studies on
this additive's effects, alone or in combination with Roundup Ultra; thus there is no basis for
assuming it is safe to spray on people, food crops, and water sources.

Another one:
"In
contrast, the U.S. label for Roundup Ultra allows concentrations of 1.6% to 7.7%8. The U.S.
label states that in most situations aerial application should not exceed 1 quart per acre of the
formulated product.9 In Colombia, the rate is almost 4 ½ times that amount"

"An inspection and accounting by the municipal police in the single township of Valle del
Guamuez (population 4289) in the Province of Putumayo found that 17,912 acres had been
sprayed with herbicides as of February 21, 2001. Of this area, less than 12% was dedicated to
coca cultivation. Crop losses included thousands of acres of bananas, yucca, corn, pasture,
coffee, peanuts, fruit trees, timber, and vegetables. Forest cover was also destroyed and
poultry, livestock, and farmed fish were made sick or killed"

Makes you wonder who is making money on this deal.  Afterall this is Moneyroe right. 
I'd rather be by myself than in bad company

Deanna

• Hero Talker
Re: aerial spraying on phragmites
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 07:09:15 PM »

Posting another link for Monsanto Roundup ULTRA but I do not know if this is the herbicide they are using and they may have changed the ingredients since this http://www2.hawaii.edu/~defrenk/pdflecturenotes/HORT_481_Lab_HANDOUTS/herbicide_labels_proj1/Roundup%20Ultra%2010%2012%2001.PDF
I'd rather be by myself than in bad company
Pages: [1]   Go Up