MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Ford recalls 370,000 cars in the U.S. and Canada due to corrosion

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ford recalls 370,000 cars in the U.S. and Canada due to corrosion  (Read 4314 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

I'm surprised we don't see more recalls due to all the salt on our roads. 

I recall a Toyota pickup recall several years ago where the frame rails (usually the thickest metal anywhere in the vehicle) were corroding so bad that the spare tires were falling out while the trucks were going down the road hitting potholes (can't imagine any potholes anywhere in Monroe County) :-\ :-\ :-\

Anyway, these are all full sized Ford, Mercury and Lincoln rear wheel drive vehicles...  even if you don't own one you might want to be aware of them when you're out driving around 8* 8* 8*

http://www.toledoblade.com/Automotive/2013/09/01/Ford-recalls-370-000-cars-in-the-U-S-and-Canada-due-to-potential-corrosion.html
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: Ford recalls 370,000 cars in the U.S. and Canada due to corrosion
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 08:26:07 PM »

I have a friend who got a brand new frame put under his Tundra.

It cost more than the truck was worth - but Toyota wouldn't entertain a wouldn't you like to buy it back offer.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 04:15:35 PM »

Not sure if the corrosion of the steering shaft is the shaft itself or the cheap 'rag' joint automakers use now in place of a real universal joint.  Candidly, I think it's the 'rag' joint.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 04:30:15 PM »

I think John Deere needs to start making trucks.
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 10:46:18 PM »

I think John Deere needs to start making trucks.

That, is a scary thought.

I will say one thing and that is, JD at least has a more positive relationship with their suppliers than the not so big 3 has.  Just read a piece in the 'Fabricaqtor' (Penton Publishing) about the consensus of opinion among job shops and suppliers that the not so big 3 learned nothing from almost going down the tubes concerning how they treat their suppliers.  It's till screw them to the wall to make the largest profit.

The Japanese automakers (with onshore plants), agricultrial equipment manufacturers and specialty manufacturers all treat suppliers much better and quite a few shops and service centers are getting out of automotive entirely.

Maybe we will see a green engined truck someday.  IH did it.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
Pages: [1]   Go Up