MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Monroe Mayoral Race

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Monroe Mayoral Race  (Read 21642 times)

alicat

• New Talker
Monroe Mayoral Race
« on: July 31, 2007, 05:46:36 PM »

What do you think about getting a woman in office?  Would things change for the better?

the nosh

• Hero Talker
Re: Monroe Mayoral Race
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 06:00:00 PM »

did it change for the better for the state of michigan??

my heart is ruled by venus...but my head by mars.

Greg Chamberlain

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 06:08:04 PM »

LOL nosh.
"To preserve the freedom of the human mind then and freedom of the press, every spirit should be ready to devote itself to martyrdom; for as long as we may think as we will, and speak as we think, the condition of man will proceed in improvement." - Thomas Jefferson

Crysti

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 06:52:00 PM »

Guys...you're gonna get the feminists all riled up! LOL. I don't think that simply being a woman can change anything for the better, it takes more than that. So, my answer would be "no" probably will not make a difference locally, statewide of nationally (i.e. Hillary).

I can't figure out how Granholm was elected for a second term. At election time, the swirling sounds of our state being flushed down the toilet were very predominant and the echoes of Michigan now being referred to as "Michissippi" by the national media is disturbing.

Locally though, I don't think we want to see any "reruns" either. Reruns are usually boring and it is easy to find out what the outcome will be the second time around!  :P

the nosh

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 07:41:57 PM »

took the words right out of my mouth crysti!

alicat

• New Talker
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 08:18:32 PM »

Got some members of the "good ole' boys club" around here.  Is that right?

the nosh

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 08:30:24 PM »

you got it alley feline!!  :o

ladyjane

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 08:32:58 PM »

What do you think about getting a woman in office?  Would things change for the better?

Do you think she would have been smart enough to vote "No" on a free parking pass for J.P. at the first meeting it was suggested.  ;D

Does anybody know if Burkett spoke against it at the first meeting?

Did the Mayor speak against it at the first meeting? I know he tabled it, but was that because he knew it was wrong or he wanted to make it look good. If he was against it why wouldn't he say so(maybe he did) or why wouldn't he have a vote(maybe he knew some council members were for it).  I would just like to know.

We will see what happens at Mondays meeting. McIntyre and Iocoangeli are  probably waiting for a "yes" vote by both those guys.  ;D

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 08:34:47 PM »

Since I am ineligible to vote for Mayor because I live in the Township and not in the city.
I would honestly have to say I hope the person that is elected could do more good for the City of Monroe.

Personally, I would like to have a Mayor that you could actually pronounce their last name without difficulty.
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

the nosh

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 08:42:32 PM »

well i wont be voting for big billy b!!

i hate to rake leaves and put them in a bag...does that tell you who i will vote for again? lol

Ms Sporty

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 09:06:02 PM »

I think the Mayors position is about taking care of the citizens and providing jobs.

Do you think a woman would have taken away the leaf pick-up?

Do you think a woman would have taken away jobs? I am talking the IKO plant. That location was a paper plant for years and it always had a smell. It was there before most of those houses and definitely there when Compora moved in. A lot of Monroe people, parents, grandparents, neighbors, and relatives worked at those paper plants in the city and made a good living. A lot of their kids and grandkids were able to go to college and make good livings. Al, John, or Bill decided to deprive current families of those opportunities. Some of Al's, John's, or Bill's family, friends, or relatives probably worked at those paper plants.

We will find out where the candidates stand on the issues and decide.

Crysti

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 09:18:16 PM »

I agree with Ms Sporty about the IKO situation. Monroe has always been a "paper" city (that's really all there was in the early years is paper mills). Most industrial factories are smelly and yes, people had to know that when they built or bought property near the plant. It didn't just get smelly over the last few years.

A mayor with a mind for business and growth (real growth) not more half vacant strip malls. Companies that need good people (preferably a lot of them) working.

alicat

• New Talker
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 10:10:35 PM »

Thank you BullCans.  This is the most poignant reply yet.

Ms Sporty

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 12:30:08 AM »

Bullcans,

Clear something up for me, because I may have the wrong information. Before I start, I would never vote for a mayor on one issue or the leaf issue alone. From what I understand the leaf pick-up never really cost the city more. The city and DPS has a yearly budget and funds are allocated to different projects. The DPS workers make a certain yearly amount. They never actually got paid overtime for leaf removal. Funds were just allocated from one account to another. The dept. head would say it cost such and such dollars, when actually those guys would have been paid anyways, just allocated to a different account. I might not of said it right, but you get the point.

Another thing, do you know how Compora was able to talk all those mayoral candidates into closing a plant.The paper plants operated since the 1900's and the smell was just as bad. They sure did support a lot of people. She lived in that neighborhood when the paper plant was running. The smell was the same. Where would most of the families in Monroe be, if not for the paper plants. Would they have been in favor of closing them too, because of the smell?

Semper Fi

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 01:05:59 AM »

If what Bullcans is saying is that we need more jobs and less taxes, then I totally agree with Bullcans.

I would also like to ask the three male candidates why they voted to close the IKO plant. I lived three blocks from IKO and I also worked at the old paper plant when I was younger in the same building. The smell was the same. Residents just forgot about the smell because the building had been vacant for a while. They complained about the old paper plant too because I lived there. The plant was there first and they knew that. If that old paper plant was still in operation, there is no way the council would have closed it down.

I am going to sit back and see what Ms. McIntyre has to say about this issue, jobs, and taxes. If I like what I hear from her I will vote for her. If not, we'll see.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up