MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Monroe Mayoral Race

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Monroe Mayoral Race  (Read 21645 times)

Tonya

• Veteran Talker
    • What is Normal?
Re: Monroe Mayoral Race
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2007, 02:39:36 PM »

Do I think we can save ourselves first? I don't know, but I think we owe it to the citizen's to try.

If your having a budget crunch at home, what do you do? Cut back spend on non-essentials.

The city needs to do the same. We need to spend money where it needs to be spent, while at the same time, investigating where we can spend less.

We need to elect individuals who are going to represent everyone and not just a select few. Those who decide to run must be evaluated on their determination to provide the city and residents with the best representation. By representation, I mean someone who will work for the entire city and not just their precinct.

Our elections for far too long have been nothing more than a popularity contest. Therefore, we get a few representing the majority when the few have their own personal agendas and could careless about the majority. Or as it appears.

I have a question, Pat did you pull the paperwork to run for Precinct 3?
Ralph Waldo Emerson:
Go put your creed into the deed,
Nor speak with double tongue.

sullivan

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2007, 03:07:32 PM »

Do I think we can save ourselves first? I don't know, but I think we owe it to the citizen's to try.

If your having a budget crunch at home, what do you do? Cut back spend on non-essentials.

The city needs to do the same. We need to spend money where it needs to be spent, while at the same time, investigating where we can spend less.

We need to elect individuals who are going to represent everyone and not just a select few. Those who decide to run must be evaluated on their determination to provide the city and residents with the best representation. By representation, I mean someone who will work for the entire city and not just their precinct.

Our elections for far too long have been nothing more than a popularity contest. Therefore, we get a few representing the majority when the few have their own personal agendas and could careless about the majority. Or as it appears.

I have a question, Pat did you pull the paperwork to run for Precinct 3?

Not Yet Tonya as I wish to talk with Willie Hall and assess the  others that have !! I believe you are someone I would have to" take a long hard look at for precinct 2",  although I believe Ed Paisley and his financial background is one of the more positive things we have on the current council ( You're a LOT better looking then he is though!!!) LOL!!  Let me know if I can assist you and thanks for being someone who cares about our city!!!
J. Pat Mc Elligott

The Guardian

• New Talker
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2007, 04:19:18 PM »

Too many good ole boy folks would be impacted and my guess is that the study will intentionally slide without actions hoping that the taxpayers forget about it!

Intentionally slide, I think you are wrong on the issue, more like it’s dead so let’s bury it.  Talk around town is the current elected administration, since they plan on running for reelection, aren’t going to take the bull by the horns, instead their shuffling it off into a corner.  I understand Cappuccilli appointed a citizen committee to review the comprehensive plan and make recommendations. 

Quite a few citizen questioned the expense of the study and wondered why the administrative staff couldn’t do it.  Well it was explained very politely that if administration did the report it might appeared biased and besides if staff spent the necessary time doing a comprehensive study then who would do their work.  So the community foots a bill, for about $80,000, to a company specializing in this type of work.  A company with professional employees, who take what about 8 months to conduct interviews, write, then review surveys, analyze similar municipalities and finally present a report with recommendations.  Then instead of having the paid administrative staff evaluate and make recommendations, back to council with a plan for implementation, its turned over to a couple of excouncil people, a owner of a book store, an owner of shoe store, a neighbor of Cappuccilli’s to make recommendations where reductions in service should take place.

Come on, wake up, instead of worrying about where employees live and whether they pay taxes or not lets be concerned about those of us who do.  Heck I’m kind of glad employees don’t.  Did you ever consider that if every city employee, retiree and every member of their family lived in the city the influence they would have on an election.  If you only have 3500 people voting and 1000 where employees or former employees that’s a tremendous voter base.  And when you start talking cuts those people will probably show up at the polls.

Bottom line if the MEN is going to do anything maybe they need to find out why the professionals were hired in the first place, why didn't our elected officials just hand pick some people to begin with, call it a day and save the community the money.  At least that way we would have had something to show for a comprehensive study that no doubt will RIP.

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2007, 04:36:18 PM »

We need to elect individuals who are going to represent everyone and not just a select few.

Just to nitpick here..

I've always had the theory that the reason politicians give the impression that they're representing a "select few" is because that "select few" are the only ones who say anything.

The vast majority of people couldn't care less. There's only a small segment of any community that actively tries to change things. One of the best ways to change things is through thier elected officials.

Ergo, only a few people would be trying to change things, ergo the councilpeople are listening to a "small elite minority".

The solution, of course, is to try to increase civic participation, but good luck doing that. best thing to do is to make your own voice heard.
your mom goes to college.

munrow

• New Talker
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2007, 07:19:29 PM »

I agree with most of the Operational Assessment. I believe the majority of it's recommendations should be implemented. Having said that, I'm concerned that some are attempting to twist the Assessment to fit their own personal and/or political agendas.

riar

• Super Talker
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2007, 07:46:52 PM »

did it change for the better for the state of michigan??

Not with a Republican congress. Nothing ever gets done when congress is one thing and the governor is another and animosity between the two factions is at a high. Michigan acts like one great big ball of red tape all the time, caught up, or hit a snag somewhere. Did you know that there was absolutely no money in the DNR coffers in this state for years because Engler used it to balance the budget. Michigan hasn't been operating right for a long time.

Tonya

• Veteran Talker
    • What is Normal?
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2007, 11:18:52 PM »

You are critical of the current council, and I assume that is why you pulled to run for council. Where exactly is the current council overspending?

I don't feel I am critical of the current council. I do feel is that the current council has had a lot to deal with. There has been a display of animosity from more than one side and this has not helped our city move forward.

Where exactly is the current council overspending?

Actually, I don't feel this administration has overspent. If anything, they have spent money where it doesn't need to be spent. Our public facilities have undergone renovations that I think didn't needed to be done. We have fire hydrants that are in disrepair. We are using CDBG funds to upgrade our sidewalks to make them ADA compliant when the intentions of CDBG funds were meant to improve our declining neighborhoods. Understand, CDBG funds can be used this way, but had we not have faced a lawsuit, would we have used these funds elsewhere?

If you win, how does your marriage to Will affect what decisions you will make regarding his employment arrangement at ALCC?

It doesn't affect it. The Arthur Lesow Community Center is a 501 c 3 non-profit. ALCC and it's employee's are not city employees. ALCC is governed by a Board of Directors and they set all policies and procedures for the community center. ALCC does receive funding from several entities, including the City of Monroe. As a Councilwoman, I would acknowledge from the beginning that my husband works for an agency that receives funding from the City of Monroe and therefore it is mandatory that I abstain from any and all votes that deal with ALCC. This is not a new situation and many previous members of council have had to do the same.

I understand there has been some friction from looking at your blog, and blame directed to a few board members, even a councilman. Please give some basis for your statements if possible, otherwise it appears that you are simply doing what Pat McElligott is doing, and that is simply put, starting the political bandwagon.

I would not say there is friction. Attending most of the board meeting for ALCC, except two, I am appalled at what occurs at the board meetings. The board is currently comprised of several members of the community. Until recently, many of the board members were either associated with the City with regards to their employment or are appointed by the city/county. I have question many things that have occurred on the ALCC board, publicly and privately. Each person has their own voice. Each person has the ability to stand up for what is right. If they choose not to do so, that is on them, but know that is open for agreement or criticism. If you wish to know specifics, I am more than happy to speak with you about them. As you stated, I have written about them.

If anything, I see this council as being tight with money. By doing this operational study they are showing that they are trying to get the city right sized. It’s not like they have gone out and spent money on another ice rink. They are trying, and they should be supported, until such a time as you get in office, and then we can blame you for not getting things in order right now.

I believe I have supported our council. I have not blamed them for anything. I have not claimed they haven't tried to do right by the residents. I feel some of the situations could have been handled better. As far as the Ice Rink, many of the current council approved the Ice Rink. Now we want to get all up in arms about how it is draining the budget? Maybe that should have been considered in the beginning. You know, the what if’s. We just put a new management in place. Let’s see what they do. I believe that the City needs to more forward and the only way to do this is to elect individuals who will not foster animosity within the city.  Yes, if I am elected, you can blame me.

Also, how will you hold up to critics who may question your ethics? Are you willing to bring your past into the light?

Anyone can question my ethics. My past is open. I am not ashamed to share anything I may or may not have done. I would hope that anyone who knows me or is interested in knowing what type of person I am, ask me. If you don't believe me, then spend a few days with me. I do what I preach and am conscious that I follow my own advice. I am not perfect. I am human and we do make mistakes, but generally, I think I am a decent person. Besides, do you know something about me and would like to share?

I would like to ask you this. This was your first post. I don't know if I should be flattered or if I should question your motivation. You are going to question my ethics when there has been 2 years of this administration running wild with the "ethics" question. You have every right to question my opinions, but to bring in my ethics when I have neither been elected to any seat nor have I formally made myself a candidate for City Council. It makes me wonder what your ethics are. I just want to be sure that this same question is also asked of our current sitting council. You don't want to appear that your question just my ethics.

There is another heading on this site about downtown. Since this would be your precinct, what is your idea for helping downtown? Not just saying what downtown needs, but how would you fix the problems as you see them? The first thing needed is for the Downtown Development Authority to fire the new girl who can’t seem to help businesses stay in town, and who doesn’t seem to be reaching out to businesses in an effort to bring them into town. Downtown needs a program with incentives to bring business in. They need parking for customers. They need less restrictions on signage and types of businesses allowed. What are your ideas? Do you support bike riding on the sidewalks, even though injury could occur to pedestrians

I would volunteer my time to help clean up the streets and sidewalks. I would work with the DDA, DMNB and resident to work on the best plan of action that suits all concerned. I don't know if blaming the DDA's new Executive Director is the best approach. She has been in the position about a year. The DDA's Board of Director's hired her. I would question the board about their responsibilities. Are they providing guidance to her? Have they worked with her to bring their desires to reality? Or did they say they were going to help her and just throw her into the position?

I agree there needs to be incentives to bring in businesses. What kind? I don't know. I would work with the property owners to lower their rent for a certain amount of time. I am aware Councilman Beneteau has offered several times that if you rent space from him, he will give you discounts on rent. This is a positive start. I would like to see this trend continue with all building owners.

Trust me; I know parking is an issue. I would like to see the Parking Validation program continued. I would also like to see some of the larger lots utilized more by both business owners and City/County employees. Let's get them off the residential streets. Mercy Memorial Hospital is bussing in employees; can’t the city/county do the same?

In my 25 years as a resident of the City of Monroe, I have seen and heard of many businesses wanting to come into the City to do business only to told, no. Why? This gives the appearance of only certain types of businesses are allowed downtown. What kind of businesses can we bring in? We have coffee shops, clothing stores, restaurants. A jewelry store. How about an Antique Mall? The old Wiesle's building is sitting vacant. As is the Spainhower building, or what is left of it. I remember the Hobby Shop being in there. Why not contact some of the local businesses and drawing them into downtown. Swan Candle Co. for instance. I am not a developer. I am smart enough to consult with one. We need to know what our infrastructure will support.

Do I support bicycle riding on the sidewalks? After 5:00pm when all the businesses are closed, yes. The downtown is closed at this point; the kids are out of school. We ride our bikes around toward the evening hours. I haven't heard of too many pedestrians being hit a bike. Many stories about being hit by cars though.

What also would you do to bring more business and industry into town? Would you support a business opening at the IKO plant? What is your view on the scrap business? What would you do with the ice rink? Will you be able to fire employees and put people out of a job? Will you fight to lower our taxes, and if so, how will you accomplish this? Do you feel that the services you expect can be provided with a smaller work force, and if not, how will you keep taxes from going up to pay the current workforce? How do you put a price on public safety, when everyone knows that a reduction in police and fire budgets (regardless of whether this means cutting positions) needs to happen? Do you support a tax increase to get our roads fixed? How about raising our taxes for other infrastructure improvements? What is your position on raising taxes for library expansion? Bus service? New fire station?

Yes, I would. I would support any business that complied with Federal, State and Local laws. I lived by IKO when it was in operation. I don't remember the foul odors or the other complaints many of the resident complained of. Were they valid? I am sure they feel they were. It is closed now, that is not going to change. The residents don't want another production factory. I am open to any business. If they comply with DEQ standards, what would be the issue? I would suggest finding a buyer for the property to put up residential homes, but with so many losing their jobs, who would buy them? The zoning should support what type of business goes in. The city can either move on or let it sit. It’s becoming a blighted building. It is held by a private corporation and they need to be encouraged to use the building or sell it.

The ScrapYard. I was one of the people begging the City to come to a compromise. I was one of the people who were trying to look for the best interest of all involved. Do I want to see a heavy industrial business on that site, no, but then again, it was not appropriate for the zoning to be changed after it was bought. There are a number of issues that came into play with the property. Mistakes happened, not just once, but twice. Papers being filed, approval being given then taken back. Unfortunately, the city is now in a lawsuit over the property. Many of the residents were willing to look into having them open provided they complied with whatever restrictions were place on them. Many of the residents in my neighborhood were opposed to it because of the truck traffic. I have a few ideas for the property and many were in the works years ago. Some of the train lines have been re-designated; this could be beneficial to us.

Will I be able to put Fire employees out of work? That is one of the recommendations of the Operational study. I would have to know specifics. Budget, employee size compared to city size. Number of runs made a year, etc.

It is absurd that we pay the amount of taxes we do for what little we receive. I would find out what our tax base is and where a majority of the money is going. Does it provide us with a benefit or is it draining our budget. Again, where is a majority of our money going? It isn't going to our roads, infrastructure or firework account. We support the parks that everyone uses. Munson park for example. City and township residents use it but we as city residents are maintaining it. The City already has a set amount of money coming in; let's use it without blowing it. Sometimes I think the word "No" is good. Just because department heads are asking, doesn't mean they should receive it. Our public safety isn't in jeopardy. For example, Crime is not going to spontaneously increase if we have fewer officers patrolling our street. There is nothing wrong with the PD patrolling with double officers in one car. It would save with gas.

How many fire stations do we need? We certainly need two. We have a lot of train tracks dividing the city. Until they get re-routed, we will need at minimum of two.

It’s not a perfect world, and there is not a perfect plan. The city needs less employees, and the remaining employees need to work harder for their wages. I’m not sure of your business background, but don’t you think the city is a business and should work to survive at the highest benefit to our taxpayers? Our taxpayers are our stockholders, and you will have to make it profitable to them. Every other big company is cutting the fat, and Monroe needs to also. I think the current council is on the right track, but nothing happens overnight, and the study has not been out that long. Do you have what it takes, or are you just running because of bitterness or a personal agenda?

No, it’s not a perfect world. The City should be run like a business, but that business needs to be consumer friendly and I am afraid it is not at this point. Again, I have not formally submitted anything for my candidacy, I merely pulled the petition. I can only be fair, open, and honest and do place my votes where the citizens want them. As a councilmember, you represent the residents. What bitterness and with who? I want a city I can be proud of; I want a city that people want to move into. I want a city that represents me and my neighbors justly. I want a city that thrives. Can I represent Monroe this way and work my hardest to see it happen? Yes.

Ralph Waldo Emerson:

sullivan

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2007, 11:49:47 PM »

GOOD HONEST ANSWERS TONYA!!! 

Okay, now I have to be honest with you and hopefully the character trait of honesty will overide my ignorance and lack of computer skills!!! How in the heck do you answer only a portion of a posters reply as you and others have so skillfully done?

I tried and failed at everything I have attempted to prevent forwarding the complete post as a quote in favor of just the portion I wish to address .

They say the only dumb question is the question that is not ask , so please enlighten me someone!!

There is speculation that I will run for council in some capacity and IF I do one of my promises to the public is that I will ALWAYS ask questions and look for answers.

I also promise to know what I am voting on and how I am voting (Yes or No) on issues. LOL 
J. Pat Mc Elligott 

Tonya

• Veteran Talker
    • What is Normal?
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2007, 12:33:35 AM »

Pat,

It is easiest to manually type [ q u o t e ] at the beginnging of whatever you want to reply to:

Copy and Paste Okay, now I have to be honest with you and hopefully the character trait of honesty will overide my ignorance and lack of computer skills!!! How in the heck do you answer only a portion of a posters reply as you and others have so skillfully done?

Then
Okay, now I have to be honest with you and hopefully the character trait of honesty will overide my ignorance and lack of computer skills!!! How in the heck do you answer only a portion of a posters reply as you and others have so skillfully done?

Then add [ / q u o t e ]  at the very end of your copy and paste.

That should work. Make sense?

Thank you for the compliment! I try not being a jerk. It's a pet peeve.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 12:41:18 AM by Tonya »
Ralph Waldo Emerson:

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2007, 01:06:56 PM »

Sullivan/Pat & Tonya.......would either of you support a merger of the city, Frenchtown, and Monroe township as other progressive communities are at least investigating to capitialize of reduced overhead structures and other economies of scale?
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

sullivan

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2007, 02:08:34 PM »

Sullivan/Pat & Tonya.......would either of you support a merger of the city, Frenchtown, and Monroe township as other progressive communities are at least investigating to capitialize of reduced overhead structures and other economies of scale?

In theory I believe it would be a good idea, but in reality , I do not see it happening due to,  to much opposition by the public , the local "powers that be" and the monumental task and time it would take to restructure our form of government.

I am sure there would  be numerous road blocks and obstacles to this process and I don't know  about the financial crisis Monroe or Frenchtown townships are experiencing but the financial crisis the City of Monroe faces CAN NOT BE DELAYED by such a lengthy and political procedure.

Autonomy and power play are major factors  in many peoples mind when it comes to what form of government you choose for leadership  and I do not believe people in the afore mentioned townships would want to be a part of a larger governmental body such as the City of Monroe Incorporated ( we have small  township area pockets of residential areas within our city limits  that refuse to be annexed into the city because other then refuse pick up, they see no value in the increased city taxes they would pay).

With that said , I do know there is already a thought process by at least some in the city and possibly the townships where we could share in services and equipment and in operating cost purchasing power that would save all of us money in running government and as a result in a cooperative effort run government more efficiently . This I believe is an attainable goal that would be embraced by all involved.

I have publically stated that the idea of the City of Monroe being an island and not being a part of other governmental bodies in a cooperative effort is something I do not,  nor will ever subscribe.

We all need each other as a community and as a people and although I do not embrace a socialistic philosophy --I do believe that when it is beneficial for us as a people to communicate and cooperate and compromise for the betterment of the majority that is what we need to do .

Thanks again for being a concerned citizen , as that , at this point ,  is ALL that I am also.

J. Pat Mc Elligott 

Tonya

• Veteran Talker
    • What is Normal?
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2007, 06:06:26 PM »

I would be more than willing to look at merging if it would help us out financially. If a complete merger was not in our best interest, then certainly we need to look at consolidating services. Several other cities are looking into this here in Michigan and Ohio. Why shouldn't we?

Nothing is a waste of money than duplicate services.
Ralph Waldo Emerson:

ladyjane

« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2007, 06:12:01 PM »

Tonya,

If you attend the council meeting tonight, can you update us on the free parking pass vote for J.P.?

Tonya

• Veteran Talker
    • What is Normal?
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2007, 06:13:55 PM »

Tonya,

If you attend the council meeting tonight, can you update us on the free parking pass vote for J.P.?

:-X ;)
Ralph Waldo Emerson:

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2007, 09:20:40 PM »

I would be more than willing to look at merging if it would help us out financially. If a complete merger was not in our best interest, then certainly we need to look at consolidating services. Several other cities are looking into this here in Michigan and Ohio. Why shouldn't we?

Nothing is a waste of money than duplicate services.

Thanks Tonya.....that was the answer I was looking for; a potential candidate who would support a study to determine feasibility in spite of a few folks getting mad because they don't get leaf pick up!

Pat.....you let the council off the hook tonight.....no answer on if there was a colaboration with our neighboring communities for any possibility of bulk purchases for the goods or services.....and, you should have asked what is the expectation of how progress is going to be published to the citizens.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up