MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Monroe Mayoral Race

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Monroe Mayoral Race  (Read 21647 times)

old timer

Re: Monroe Mayoral Race
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 01:33:15 PM »

I would like to see some more comments about the candidates running for Mayor. Can you hear me out there?

Also, if anyone goes to the council meeting Monday, can you let us know about the parking pass vote for J.P.? I would like to know just in case I need to get prepared for another community uprising.

Thank You.

sullivan

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2007, 03:42:06 PM »

I would like to see some more comments about the candidates running for Mayor. Can you hear me out there?

Also, if anyone goes to the council meeting Monday, can you let us know about the parking pass vote for J.P.? I would like to know just in case I need to get prepared for another community uprising.

Thank You.

I would encourage ANYONE ( especially the ones that have a vested interest of where our tax dollars go relating to services ) to attend the next meeting and all subsequent meetings of your local government where your attendance and voice may make a difference!!!

As for the best next mayor of our city, I will merely state there will be other choices then the MEN reported for every elected office and my only requirement of their qualifications lies in their ability to read and understand.

In particular READ and Understand the un-bias $77,000 Operational Assessment that reveals more then most of us even suspected about being over staffed , over funded and the inefficient and personal pading of salary,wages and benefits that has gone on for years at the demise of our infrastructure and resident services.

You can gain access to this study by going to the city of Monroe web site , going to City Government and scroll to : City -Wide Operational Assessment.

Regardless of the gender of the mayor or the council , this UN-BIAS paid by tax dollar study is like a doctor's prescription to better health.If we choose to ignore major portions of the remedy given because they are to painful or are not politically correct or wish to delay the inevitable ---don't worry about turning out the lights and living in an adjoining township ( that's where you will find most of the city employees ) because a city that has died has no need for electricity.
If you do as I suggest and investigate the results of the operational study, ask yourself what you would do if you were the C.E.O. of a business called the City of Monroe with the results you were faced???

Be Informed --Be Involved
  Expect Responsibility  & Results
  J. Pat Mc Elligott   

Ms Sporty

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 08:50:09 PM »

I know it would be a pay decrease for him. But how about Randy Richardville?  ;D

old timer

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 10:17:57 PM »

How about Brian Beneteau for Mayor?

He is the first city official or mayor candidate to speak on this forum. I know the others have to be reading this forum. They are suppose to be working with the citizens. How about a little feedback once in a while. I am not talking debates. Just a little respectful information as Mr. Beneteau has posted.

I do not personally know Mr. Beneteau, but I do respect him for responding.

the nosh

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 06:36:50 PM »

how about one that ends with an A?
my heart is ruled by venus...but my head by mars.

Tonya

• Veteran Talker
    • What is Normal?
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2007, 08:56:37 PM »

...and sometimes Y. Really, I want to know Y. ;D
Ralph Waldo Emerson:
Go put your creed into the deed,
Nor speak with double tongue.

Hogwild

• New Talker
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2007, 01:52:25 AM »

Bullcan

Mr. Cappuccilli and Mr. Burkett have made tough decisions to cut the overweight city staff, in an effort to use taxpayer money in a more productive way, such as fixing streets and empty water hydrants. I hope they follow through with the recommended cuts after spending the money on the study. BTW, who really would re-elect a mayor simply because they are going to get their leaves picked up. After all, you are going to pay extra for it.

Where have you been living for the past 14 years, under a rock.  Mr. Cappuccilli (14 years) and Mr Burkett (8 years) on council, didn’t have anything to do with the overweight city staff,  Guess Mr Iacoangeli hired all the overweight staff in his 2 years in office?  Be honest, Mr Cappuccilli and Mr Burkett are the same guys who hired an Assistant to the City Manager then last year made him the Assistant City Manager (luxury according to study).  The same guys who let Ms. Fales as City Attorney go and outsourced the same work for larger dollars,  The same guys who made the Assistant City Attorney the City Attorney (luxury) while at the same time keeping the private paid law firm. 

Who’s watch did the streets become in such bad shape during the past 14 years?  Oh that’s right they all crumbled simultaneously during Iacoangeli’s 2 years in office.  How about the hydrants, bet you didn’t know the water and fire departments were instructed NOT to flush hydrants because it stirred up sediment and residence started to complain.  Never mind I know that order probably came during Iacoangeli’s time in office, accelerated build up is scientifically possible right?

About the only thing accurate in your post is your username, because with all the BULL we certainly have enough to fill a CAN!!

zard0z

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2007, 08:19:30 AM »

Guys...you're gonna get the feminists all riled up! LOL. I don't think that simply being a woman can change anything for the better, it takes more than that. So, my answer would be "no" probably will not make a difference locally, statewide of nationally (i.e. Hillary).

I can't figure out how Granholm was elected for a second term. At election time, the swirling sounds of our state being flushed down the toilet were very predominant and the echoes of Michigan now being referred to as "Michissippi" by the national media is disturbing.

Locally though, I don't think we want to see any "reruns" either. Reruns are usually boring and it is easy to find out what the outcome will be the second time around!  :P

I'm glad you said that and not me ;)

Honestly I'll take anyone who can do the job right and who can think outside of their own pocket...We definitely need change for the better though...

monroemuskrat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2007, 08:29:18 AM »

Local politics are like state and national.  Getting elected is not about the most qualified candidate, it is about the amount of money you have and who you know.  In the City of Monroe, if you have the support of the Senior Citizens and the IHM Sisters, you will surely get elected.

monroemuskrat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2007, 10:42:56 AM »

The IHM is close to Cappucilli's heart.  They have always supported him, how do you think they got their "Prairie" approved.  Everyone else has to cut their grass on the front of their property, but not the nuns.

utility slug

• Hero Talker
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2007, 11:49:36 AM »

I think the 'prairie areas' are really 'save-the-nuns-maintenance-costs' areas.   ::)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 12:04:17 PM by utility slug »

Hogwild

• New Talker
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2007, 04:41:48 PM »

Bullcan states:

The comment about cutting overweight city staff is true. Cappuccilli and Burkett are making the tough cuts, and NOW they are necessary, as they were two, three, four years ago.

What tough cuts have they made?  Not replacing 3 firemen who have retired?  What good has that done they have to pay overtime everyday.  Name me some other positions they have actually CUT.  In my mind making a tough cut isn’t about not replacing someone who retired.  To me a tough CUT is the type Mignano made when he had to look the employees and the families in the eye when he dropped the axe. 

He blew money on beautification projects and got the city further in debt. Wonder which parks he will beautify if he gets back in?

Have you ever asked yourself how the city got in the RED?  How long has the infamous Monroe Sports Complex been around, about seven years maybe?  Taxpayers have been supplementing that albatross to the tune of what about $400,000.00 per year or $2.8 million so far.  How much did Iacoangeli spend beautify some parks less than $200,000.00 total? You criticize Iacoangeli for blowing money on beautification of parks, I guess the kids who live outside of the St. Mary’s area don’t deserve nice things as well, right?  Did anyone ever tell you that investing a dollar in a child today has the potential of saving dollars in the future.  “Society gains an estimated $500,000 in tax revenue and avoided social costs for every child who is saved from becoming a criminal justice statistic.” Anton R.Waldon, Jr., "Unhealthy Choice: Prisons Over Schools in New York State,"  So why not invest in some nice parks give the kids something to do and maybe, just maybe we can reduce the County’s support to the juvenile justice system.  If I’m not mistaken that cost is quickly approaching a million dollars a year.  A cost everyone in the County shares.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 04:44:33 PM by Hogwild »

Hogwild

• New Talker
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2007, 05:33:53 PM »

Bullcan here you go again enough BULL to fill a CAN.  Can’t play nice, want to take your ball and bat and go home?  Well here is some more!

He is a recipe for disaster if taxpayers want streets fixed, hydrants fixed, and stable taxes. That's no bull.

According to the City of Monroe Street Program History 1997-2006 by Pat Lewis that can be found on the City of Monroe Website.  During 2004 – 2005 Iacoangeli spent $2,765,916.00 or $1,382,958.00 per year on road repair.  During Cappuccilli, Burkett tenure they spent $2,867,912.00 for 5 years or $573,582.00 per year fixing your roads.  So he not only spent money beautifying parks he spent money FIXING UP THE ROADS.  It gets easier to cast shadows on those running for public office but given some research the facts always prevail.  So if you want to lend creditability to any of your statements spend some time and do some fact finding. 
[/quote]

Why bring up
Should we blame Iacoangeli for giving away the farm to the firemen in that famous contract "he" settled?
  Did he really “give it away” provide some proof, people like me want to see the facts and figures just throwing out statements like that just proves your biased and opinionated.  What about Burkett, Edwards, Wetsel, Compora, Guyor, and Sabo weren’t they part of “giving away the farm to the firemen” as well?  Isn't it true he's only one vote how many people on council voted in support to approve that contract?

Okay keep your cool, don't let any veins pop and give all of us some more Rhetorical BULL, you CAN do that right?

Semper Fi

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2007, 05:45:02 PM »

Hogwild,

Keep sending in the information. I like to hear all the  information before voting. Then we will have to decide what is fact and what is bull.  ;D

I do think mistakes were made on the ice arena and the closing of the IKO plant.

Heaven can Wait

• New Talker
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2007, 05:53:01 PM »

Bullcan

I have been following some threads and never had a reason to get involved but Bullcan your making yourself look bad.  You have some pretty good thoughts but slamming firemen and stating
Is it overtime to sleep and get paid?
is really a cheap shot.  Those men and women are away from their families and more importantly saying they get paid to sleep is an understatement, their paid to respond within a couple of minutes if you, I or anyone in our community needs help.  Lighten up, attacking firemen in our community isn’t the way.  If hogwild provides some faulty information direct your anger towards hogwild not to the men and women who protect our community.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up