MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Pets > Humane Society May Move To Frenchtown

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Humane Society May Move To Frenchtown  (Read 1499 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Humane Society May Move To Frenchtown
« on: December 21, 2013, 10:51:17 AM »

I would have to think this would be a great move if they can handle the financial part of it. 

The Humane Society of Mon­roe County is looking to buy two parcels totaling almost 34 acres off N. Monroe St. in Frenchtown Township to build a new head­quarters for its animal shelter and operations.

#The township board was considering today a first reading of a resolution granting a rezoning of the vacant site north of Nadeau Rd. and across from the former Denniston Theater.

#The property was once the site of Wilson’s Nursery.

#The society is seeking to change the land use from C- 3 (highway commercial) and R-1A (single-family residential) to ag­ricultural with conditions.

#The township planning com­mission and the Monroe Coun­ty Planning Commission are recommending approval of the change, Supervisor James McDevitt said.

More at:  http://www.monroenews.com/news/2013/dec/18/humane-society-may-move-frenchtown/?news
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Humane Society May Move To Frenchtown
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 11:09:36 AM »

As I was reading through the article I just couldn't 'place' where this 'nursery property' was across from the old Denniston Theater...   there's a lawn mower sales and repair across from the theater!  So I got out my plat map and below is what it looks to me like what they're talking about.  The Quonset building is on a small parcel with some frontage.  Then along the south edge is a very narrow right of way to the larger parcel behind that does run clear north so that it is across from the theater (it's behind the lawnmower shop).

This should give them some good road frontage exposure (like they have now) but also allow them to have a place for the animals that's back from the road.  It sounds like they're talking about an outdoor exercise area.  Maybe the community could behind them and help create a 'doggy park' back there.  I know there has been some talk but this seems like it would be a 'win win' for everyone.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=41.97016,-83.37058&z=17&t=H&marker0=41.96968%2C-83.37325%2C5.8%20km%20NW%20of%20Detroit%20Beach%20MI&marker1=41.96966%2C-83.37155%2C5.7%20km%20NW%20of%20Detroit%20Beach%20MI&marker2=41.96875%2C-83.37190%2C5.6%20km%20NW%20of%20Detroit%20Beach%20MI&marker3=41.96889%2C-83.37323%2C5.7%20km%20NW%20of%20Detroit%20Beach%20MI&marker4=41.96831%2C-83.36965%2C5.4%20km%20NW%20of%20Detroit%20Beach%20MI&marker5=41.97170%2C-83.36708%2C5.6%20km%20NW%20of%20Detroit%20Beach%20MI&marker6=41.97245%2C-83.36983%2Cunnamed
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 12:51:50 PM »

Thanks BRD, I wasn't at all sure about the reference to old nursery property, must have been before my time or it's true what they were trying to tell me back in the 70's about what that stuff would do to me.

Yea, that's a screwed up piece of property where they are right now and this spot would be much better.  I wish them luck.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 04:51:16 PM »

Is it unusual to request zoning to agricultural from Commercial - as it makes it less valuable in the future if they decide to move "again"? 
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 07:16:01 AM »

Is it unusual to request zoning to agricultural from Commercial - as it makes it less valuable in the future if they decide to move "again"?

Yes it is unusual but they must have some reason.  My first thought is it might reduce the 'taxable value' of the property but I would also think the Humane Society doesn't pay property taxes either.  Sounds like both county and township planning commissions are in favor so it should be pretty much just a 'paperwork process'.

I would guess that if they were to move again in the future it would be just another 'paperwork process' to revert at least the parcel that has road frontage back to highway commercial since that is the majority of the use along that stretch.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 01:41:25 PM »

They are 'exempt' at their current location so I wouldn't think it would matter to them what their assessed or taxable value might vary based on any zoning changes so there must be a different reason.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 03:05:26 PM »

I'm guessing just because you don't pay taxes,
you still have to meet zoning requirements

Probably why - however I find it hard to believe the current property they are on was zoned ag.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 05:26:20 PM »

It probably has more to do with what is and what isn't allowed in AG zoning in Frenchtown. Your zoning classification doesn't play as big a part in your taxable value as you might assume. Taxable value is supposed to be determined by the properties highest and best use. An example is some ground that I own that is assessed at farm land values even though it is zoned R-2 residential.
I fought and successfully won a tax appeal several years ago on the basis that my land was being farmed as its highest and best use for that year. The tax tribunal readily agreed.

Would I rezone a piece of property from Commercial to Ag ? No I wouldn't. It is way harder to rezone to a more intense zoning than to rezone to a less intense zoning.

Mav
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 09:37:32 AM »

Maybe the part in this article about being able to treat 3 animals per acre has something to do with the zoning change.

Looks like it's a 'done deal'...   the cash has changed hands ;) ;) ;)

Sounds like it will still take a couple of years for the move to finalize.  Now I wonder what they'll find to take over the N. Telegraph parcel?

Article from last night's Monroe News:

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2014/feb/19/humane-society-purchases-31-acres-new-shelter/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up