MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > The Monroe County Road Commission; the good, the bad, and the ugly!!!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: The Monroe County Road Commission; the good, the bad, and the ugly!!!  (Read 58108 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

Before I get to the 2 new ones, I want to ask yet again just when they will have the 'GPS tracking' available for the public?  It was probably a year ago that Wayne county made their system live to the public and it seems to be working fine.  But in Monroe County we seem to have a system that's been paid for (from the few news accounts I've seen) and it still doesn't work right.  Has anyone asked for a refund and we'll just use whatever Wayne County is using?

Gripe # 1.  The Monroe County Road Commission will be involved in the county wide Christmas tree recycling program 'again' this year.  On it's face this sounds great...   and I think it would be great IF all the roads in the county were repaired and salted and plowed in a 'timely manner' every time it snows.  But that is not happening and I don't see where it will be happening anytime in the near future...

But, the MCRC I 'assume' is going to be picking up all these trees from around the county and transporting them to a central location (the article is not clear on details so I'm making some assumptions base on just general knowledge) in the county. 

How much in 'wages' will this cost?

How much longer will I have to wait to get my road plowed due to the time spent on this?

What will it cost in fuel, truck wear and tear, etc. for this?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of the concept of recycling the trees but I just don't think the Road Commission should be involved in it until they have things taken care of over in their 'house' :( :( :(

Gripe # 2.  We drove to Toledo Monday afternoon (Christmas eve).  We took Telegraph down and Dixie Highway back home.  As we were heading south on Telegraph at the scales (near the LaSalle - Erie line) I noticed an almost new 'New Holland' tractor with a mower just sitting at the scales.  It appeared to have been sitting there for some time as there weren't any recent tracks in the snow or the frozen mud that was there.  Then on the way home on the Dixie we saw another one.  Now, I can't be 100% sure these are MCRC vehicles and the next time I go that way I'll stop and take some pictures to verify that.  I'm going partly on the theory that if they belonged to a contractor then they would be sitting inside somewhere and not subject to weathering and possible vandalism.  I know in years past most tractors only had a few keys necessary to start all of them (and actually a screwdriver would work pretty good if you knew how to use it)!  I've lost track of what some of this equipment costs these days but I'm sure between the two tractors and mowers we're looking at a couple of hundred thousand dollars of Monroe County taxpayer money. 

Why are they just sitting outside at the end of December?

Are they still mowing roadsides in the county?

Are they going to sit outside all winter?

Are these the only two tractors in the county sitting along the roads like this ??? ??? ???

My original topic name for this thread was:  My two latest 'gripes' about the Road Commission!

Since the thread has literally morphed into 'all things' about the MCRC it has been suggested I 're-name' the thread and I agree it's time...

So :o :o :o
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 12:27:57 PM by BigRedDog »
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: My two latest 'gripes' about the Road Commission!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 09:22:24 AM »

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 09:25:45 AM »

Here's the article on the tree recycling:

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2013/dec/26/sites-offer-yule-tree-recycling-drop-offs/

The Monroe County Recycling & Green Community Program, the Monroe County Road Commission and participating local municipalities are combining efforts to offer the service free to all county residents while protecting the environment from burning the trees or disposing of them in a landfill, organizers said.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 09:46:49 AM »

I still struggle to even understand the need for the commission to be perfectly honest with you BRD!  The County was on the right track IMO when they were looking at absorbing it into existing government structure where they could have saved a hundred grand or so.

The gripe back then was that there was no accountability having the road commission operate independently, and I still think that is the case.  Are these elected commissioners really involved in the day to day operations, or is it as I suspect where the prisoners are running the ship.

The paving and snow removal projects at a loss to the county taxpayers still just does not sit with right.  I recall Jerry Oley supporting it as a commissioner and now the top dog....and why he doesn't get my vote out of this precinct. 

Macomb County got rid of their road commission and the savings was in the millions....now granted that is a much more populous county than ours, but the concept was the same.

I understood the arguments for keeping it in tact, especially the support it had from the county union representing these guys.....understood, didn't concur. 

Just doesn't appear to be working to me and I still wouldn't mind seeing another push to absolve it.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 09:48:41 AM »

Your two questions are very good ones, BRD.

I frequently see a couple "new" New Holland tractors with boom mowers on them, parked on the side of the road.  I have NEVER seen them working.  I was told these tractors are for mowing ditches near intersections, to keep the view clear at stop signs.  I usually see them parked on the corner of Plank road and Ostrander in the summer.  My guess is they are county-owned.  Our township contracts out the mowing of the ditches (that guy uses Case IH tractors), which is a waste of money, since they are required to mow the ENTIRE ditch every three years, and make two passes every three years, and make one pass every three years.  Each year, however, they only make one pass.  NEVER has my ditch been mowed, unless I did it.  Our Board of Trustees isn't worth two dead flies.  But that's another subject.
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 09:49:45 AM »

Eliminate the commission!
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 09:55:34 AM »

I'll buy one of those New Holland tractors off of them!
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 10:03:05 AM »

Geeze Live...you sure have a good opinion about your TWP board but thats another subject.....

I think everyone on this site knows my position concerning the MCRC.  I've always maintained that it is nothing more than a repository for 'good old boys' to roost in and squander tax dollars and live out their not so useful lives away from the political limelight....  kind of like being the Sherriff of Monroe County......

We all live pretty close to Ohio and driving south across the border yields a remarkable change (for the better) in road surface quality, maintenance and snow removal and Ohio don't have 'Road Comissions', exceuse me, repositories for good old boys to squander tax payer's money......

I rest my case.

Like Fuzz said and I maintain, they need to go, all of them.  They've gotten marginally better over the years (at actually doing something productive), but I won't live loing enough to see them actually attain a level of competence that Ohio has has, all along.

Finally. the blue New Holland's with the side mounts are all MCRC (Taxpayer) owned.  Put a screwdriver in the ignition (actually, a paper clip will work) and drive one home.  It's safer in your yard than alongside the road..........

...and they probably won't miss it until spring because they probably don't know where they are at in the first place. ;D
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 10:05:48 AM »

Do you have a 'round number' idea of what ONE of those tractor / mower combinations would cost new?

I'll tell you one thing...  if I had a brand new tractor it sure wouldn't be sitting outside along the road (I realize that taking it back to the garage every night in the summer isn't reasonable but in the winter it seems like it would be)!!! 

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 10:06:09 AM »

If you got one, I'm sure the maintenance records are non-existent and you'll probably have to shovel the crap out of the cab.  MCRC workers don't give a hoot (for the most part) about the equipment.  I say most, not all.  I happen to know a couple......

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 10:07:55 AM »

Geeze Live...you sure have a good opinion about your TWP board but thats another subject.....

I think everyone on this site knows my position concerning the MCRC.  I've always maintained that it is nothing more than a repository for 'good old boys' to roost in and squander tax dollars and live out their not so useful lives away from the political limelight....  kind of like being the Sherriff of Monroe County......

We all live pretty close to Ohio and driving south across the border yields a remarkable change (for the better) in road surface quality, maintenance and snow removal and Ohio don't have 'Road Comissions', exceuse me, repositories for good old boys to squander tax payer's money......

I rest my case.

Like Fuzz said and I maintain, they need to go, all of them.  They've gotten marginally better over the years (at actually doing something productive), but I won't live loing enough to see them actually attain a level of competence that Ohio has has, all along.

Finally. the blue New Holland's with the side mounts are all MCRC (Taxpayer) owned.  Put a screwdriver in the ignition (actually, a paper clip will work) and drive one home.  It's safer in your yard than alongside the road..........

...and they probably won't miss it until spring because they probably don't know where they are at in the first place. ;D

They'd know where they were if they had the GPS transmitters working on them 8* 8* 8* ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 10:08:39 AM »

Do you have a 'round number' idea of what ONE of those tractor / mower combinations would cost new?

I'll tell you one thing...  if I had a brand new tractor it sure wouldn't be sitting outside along the road (I realize that taking it back to the garage every night in the summer isn't reasonable but in the winter it seems like it would be)!!!

Those are large frame TC's or TD's with the sidemounts, so about a buck twenty each.  I can find out exactly what they costed out at. I do, do business with that dealer btw.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 10:12:19 AM »

They'd know where they were if they had the GPS transmitters working on them 8* 8* 8* ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D

According to Stammer, they don't work which I find interesting in as much as all 85 of our company trucks have a similar system installed and I can sit right here on this laptop and log into the program and locate each and every one of them and go to 'Goggle Earth View' in real time and get the topo view of each unit, where it's sitting plus I can message each and everyone individually at my discretion.

I think Stammer has been drinking the Kool-Aid like the rest.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 10:13:30 AM »

They must get a 'deal' on the Kool-Aid down at the MCRC office...... ;D

nails

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 10:14:14 AM »

I want to ask yet again just when they will have the 'GPS tracking' available for the public?  It was probably a year ago that Wayne county made their system live to the public and it seems to be working fine.  But in Monroe County we seem to have a system that's been paid for (from the few news accounts I've seen) and it still doesn't work right.  Has anyone asked for a refund and we'll just use whatever Wayne County is using?
 ??? ???

If I remember right, several years ago when the county upgraded the Sheriff/Fire/Police radio system, didn't we have a similar scenario. A lot of money was spent and then it took a couple years to get it working correctly. And to tell the truth, I'm not sure it's still trouble free.  I'm pretty sure there are still areas with weak signal strength. Maybe it's all the mountains we have within the county.

I think the Lambertville area might be our own little "radio signal black hole.". Scanner can't pick up Toledo City Police and Verizon can't get a phone signal in or out.

Just conversation . . . and maybe a little instigation . . . for your rumination.

Curmudgeon in training.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 75   Go Up