MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > The Monroe County Road Commission; the good, the bad, and the ugly!!!

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: The Monroe County Road Commission; the good, the bad, and the ugly!!!  (Read 61802 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Where are those MCRC GPS trackers I bought and paid for?
« Reply #660 on: January 25, 2015, 01:29:50 PM »

Rather than asking among the 8-10 people who respond in this forum,
we should be asking these questions at one of the MCRC regular meetings.
Maybe then we can get one of the commissioners to answer.
Or... a public letter to the editor in the MN.

Sometimes the only way to get an answer is to put someone on the spot.

There are very few 'investigative journalists' who are willing to put the time and effort into digging into these issues...

much easier to just take the interviews the 'local officials' spoon feed them and write a story...

see Charlie Slat's interview with the Monroe Chief of Police in yesterday's paper...  still hoping they'll put it online so we can post a link here!!!

I've watched some of the comments posted here on MT quickly turn into articles in the MonroeNews over the years...

and I've watched some go absolutely nowhere...

the many discussions on the 'increase' in heroin use in the area...

go talk to Charlie Slat and the police chief and all you'll get is 'don't worry...  be happy'!!!

When the concept of MT was first started (the previous forum was 'Eyes and Ears') the idea was to get a 'pulse' on what the public thought about 'current events' in the area.

I know that in those years with the increased use of Facebook has changed the impact that MT may have but I still think many of the MonroeNews staff are reading what is going on right here!
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
Re: My two latest 'gripes' about the Road Commission!
« Reply #661 on: January 25, 2015, 01:44:28 PM »

There are very few 'investigative journalists' who are willing to put the time and effort into digging into these issues...
Where's Fletch at when you need him? ;) ;D
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

nails

• Hero Talker
« Reply #662 on: January 25, 2015, 02:37:29 PM »

I didn't mean to ask the MN to do an article.
I meant a "letter to the Editor" to be published in the paper, which would put the question out in the public. Hopefully that would either get a response from the MCRC, or get other citizens to begin asking questions.

My main problem with MT is it is such a small group.
If we really want answers, we need to stir a larger pot.

Just conversation . . . and maybe a little instigation . . . for your rumination.

Curmudgeon in training.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #663 on: January 25, 2015, 06:13:56 PM »

I meant a "letter to the Editor" to be published in the paper, which would put the question out in the public. Hopefully that would either get a response from the MCRC, or get other citizens to begin asking questions.

Letter to the Editors work best if you time it for a weekend edition... 
you can do them online even

I've written a few over the years - and was close to sending one about the heroin mom not going to jail... 
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #664 on: January 25, 2015, 07:08:36 PM »

You are absolute correct about MT being a small group as far as the actual ongoing discussions go...

but I believe you are under estimating 'guest' readership...

not only the numbers of readers but also 'who they are'!

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #665 on: January 25, 2015, 07:23:19 PM »

I think you guys are also overestimating how many people still receive and read the Monroe Evening News.

Less and Less every single day.

Its not what it used to be.

Show me a newspaper that is.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

nails

• Hero Talker
« Reply #666 on: January 26, 2015, 08:55:49 AM »

You are absolute correct about MT being a small group as far as the actual ongoing discussions go...

but I believe you are under estimating 'guest' readership...

not only the numbers of readers but also 'who they are'!

Point well taken.

I still say the best place to get answers about the MCRC,
is to go to the meetings and ask the questions directly.

As far as MN readership numbers, if they only have 2000 subscribers,
and only 25% read the letters to editor page, that is still 500 people.
And that must be more individuals than read MT forums.

Plus . . . I'm guessing that most subscribers today are probably of "Boomer "age instead of "Gen X,Y, or Z.
And that age group will be more likely to read the letters published.

OK... rant over.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 09:02:21 AM by nails »
Just conversation . . . and maybe a little instigation . . . for your rumination.

Curmudgeon in training.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #667 on: January 26, 2015, 11:09:20 AM »

Will be looking for that Letter to Editor then...   

You can actually copy it here - and get more bang for your effort!
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

nails

• Hero Talker
« Reply #668 on: January 26, 2015, 12:24:28 PM »

I've done several "Letters to the Editor" in the past.
And I've gone to several MCRC meetings to ask questions.
And yes, I got answers in most cases. Not always the answers I was looking for, but . . .

Right now, I don't have any burning questions that I need answers to.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:30:04 PM by nails »

Curmudgeon in training.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #669 on: January 27, 2015, 06:37:23 AM »

Front page article on the MonroeNews this morning...  hopefully they'll post it on the website to link to here later!!!

Interview with the three new members 'appointed' to the MCRC and one of the discussion questions is what do you think about using the GPS tracking systems?

Hopefully we'll get some answers as to where our 'investment' stands after all these months!

My wife hasn't brought the paper home yet so all I've read is what is visible on the online view of the front page!!!

And here is the article...

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2015/jan/27/monroe-county-road-commission-winter-travel-monroe/

Iacoangeli and Londo were both 'in favor' of using the GPS tracking but Minton feels he needs to study the issue some more :-\ :-\ :-\

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #670 on: January 27, 2015, 10:49:01 PM »

And here is the article...

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2015/jan/27/monroe-county-road-commission-winter-travel-monroe/

Iacoangeli and Londo were both 'in favor' of using the GPS tracking but Minton feels he needs to study the issue some more :-\ :-\ :-\

Minton's photographic stance in the picture in the paper...he appears to be a pompus arsehole..
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #671 on: January 28, 2015, 08:37:20 AM »

I'll have to go back and check...

I think this is the 'third' part of the interview with the three new road commissioners!

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2015/jan/28/monroe-county-road-commission-new-road-commissione/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #672 on: January 28, 2015, 08:52:56 AM »

Minton's photographic stance in the picture in the paper...he appears to be a pompus arsehole..

Perfect for the MCRC then!
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #673 on: January 28, 2015, 08:53:16 AM »

Looks like it is just the 2nd part so we're keeping up!

This part of the interview is about dealing with the public's 'perception' of the past and present MCRC.

I wondered which one of them would throw out the 'stock' answer:

“I know this from my experience working in the field in less than ideal conditions. A citizen can get the wrong impression because they happened by at the wrong time. So in reality, all of us at the road commission have the ability to take steps to change some of those perceptions.”

Read more at: http://www.monroenews.com/news/2015/jan/28/monroe-county-road-commission-new-road-commissione/

For the record...  that is the answer of Mr. Iacoangeli and I totally agree with him if something happens 'one time' and a few citizens see it...

but the major issues I have down at the MCRC have been 'observed' by dozens or hundred or even thousands of us stupid citizens...  you know... us 'tax payers'!!! 

And I don't have to observe anyone at their job to see the worst problems.  I just have to go out and drive at a reasonable speed on most of the roads in Monroe County and observe their general overall condition >:( >:( >:(

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #674 on: January 28, 2015, 09:19:31 AM »

An answer I got from a MCRC guy a year ago about getting rid of the state contract and just plow county roads was "we would have to get rid of some guys"
And the state buys a lot of equp for us.
He wasn't open to any discussion and walked away.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 75   Go Up