MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > The Monroe County Road Commission; the good, the bad, and the ugly!!!

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76   Go Down

Author Topic: The Monroe County Road Commission; the good, the bad, and the ugly!!!  (Read 67673 times)

arpydave

• Hero Talker
Re: The Monroe County Road Commission; the good, the bad, and the ugly!!!
« Reply #1095 on: November 05, 2016, 10:20:29 AM »

Without reading all the BS it just sounds like the current board is trying to set it up so no one but them is qualified.

Whenever I hear about the MCRC I have this song magically pop into my head

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU6mPYFtF8E

"Just some good 'ol boys,
Never gettin' things done..."
I'm a sheepdog. I may not agree with you but I will not tolerate sheeple.

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1096 on: November 05, 2016, 10:30:14 AM »

;) ;) ;)

;D ;D ;D

8) 8) 8)
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1097 on: December 26, 2017, 04:09:58 PM »

After all the complaining the last few years about MCRC not taking care of our local roads, it seems they are finally spending some time on them.  Bedford Township supervison Paul Pirone contracted for StoneCo to plow the subdivisions.  Finally a politician that gets it.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1098 on: January 21, 2018, 05:03:37 PM »

I've got to give a little 'back story' first!

It was 8 (or maybe even 9) years ago when a contractor was installing our city water lines.  Because the rock is so high right through here they actually had to trench across the road with a cut wide enough for the guys to get down into and work if they had to. It was December when they put our line across from the new main on the other side of the road.  When they had installed the line they brought in a concrete truck and filled the trench to within about 6" from the top with a black slurry of something.  Then a few days later they topped it off with cold mix.  Then in the spring they showed up again and dug out the cold mix and filled it with hot mix and rolled it all in real nice.  In fact, all these years later the best stretches of our road are all the strips they cut across the road and then filled in.

I was out talking to the crew when they dug out the 'patch' and replaced it.  The road commission required them to come back and replace the cold patch even though our road is probably 40% cold patch in the first place.

So, today we took a ride and crossed a stretch where the MCRC had replaced some catch basins or maybe put in a new drain across the road between them.  It took them weeks to do the job and they did it back in the fall but then left the 2-3" dip in the road until just the last few days.  Finally after a lot of vehicles will need a front end alignment they filled the trench in...

with cold patch!!!

Will be interesting to see if they come back out in the spring and dig it all out and fix it 'to their own standards' or just leave it. 

I've heard they're going to grind that stretch up and re lay it in the spring.  Time will tell I guess.
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1099 on: March 07, 2018, 06:28:02 PM »

If the MCRC wants to try one of these out I've got a mile I'll volunteer!!!

http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2018/03/5_million_tool_could_help_solv.html

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #1100 on: March 08, 2018, 09:51:39 AM »

The payback is certainly there for a good business case.  That has to be one robust machine, and the cutting head reminds me of an underground coal mining machine.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1101 on: March 08, 2018, 10:46:57 AM »

I think that the price of stone must be so costly they gave up on putting it on shoulders of the roads... 

I live on a class A or I  road and the lack of stone along shoulders is causing the road to deteriorate and crumble along that edge...   

I called about it a few years ago - and all they did was try to scrape up the shoulder and it didn't work.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1102 on: March 08, 2018, 10:56:06 AM »

The payback is certainly there for a good business case.  That has to be one robust machine, and the cutting head reminds me of an underground coal mining machine.

The 'cutter' part of the setup is pretty basic to the industry and the only major changes I saw is that in this case they will reverse the direction of the machine and they will put down the 'binder' agent just ahead of the cut operation to make sure it is thorough mixed in the cutting operation. 

The big change is in the 'other' machine in the video.  I think it was green. 

Many years ago they used an older version of the cutter to grind up our road surface and load it into trucks and haul it away.  They took it somewhere (I have no idea where but maybe at the old quarry) to process it and then returned it in trucks a couple of days later.  The big difference with this new setup is they would eliminate that part of the trucking.  Instead trucks would brink tanks of whatever they use and inject it into the the green machine to mix everything together and then reapply it to the road.  Use of rollers sounds similar although they mentioned a rubber coated roller that I don't recall seeing before. 

What I do see as a downside to using this machine is I don't see any way for them to add any more base to the road.  That is what most of the roads in the county need is more base.  With a stronger base the surface would last longer.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1103 on: March 08, 2018, 11:07:31 AM »

What I do see as a downside to using this machine is I don't see any way for them to add any more base to the road.  That is what most of the roads in the county need is more base.  With a stronger base the surface would last longer.

And that's the understatement of the year! 

I guess all the counties around us knew that little secret...   
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1104 on: March 08, 2018, 05:28:15 PM »

BRD..  The binding agent is called Bitumen.  No base and the roads will be crap in one winter..
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1105 on: March 08, 2018, 06:32:56 PM »

BRD..  The binding agent is called Bitumen.  No base and the roads will be crap in one winter..

They still use the bitumen although it's pumped into the green machine and applied just ahead of the rejuvenated road surface.

The 'cement' they were talking about was literally a white dust or liquid and they apply (they even note that the depth is critical and it is computer controlled).  It appears necessary because this is a 'cold process' as opposed to when they haul it away to re-process it.  It appears this 'cement' or binder agent is important to hold everything together because of the 'no heat' process.

Watch the video...

you might learn something!!!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1106 on: March 09, 2018, 05:14:07 PM »

I haven't been down Telegraph south of town in a while - how are the center line speed bumps they carved out of brand new road holding up   ;)   

They may have to run that machine up and down those sections - as they also dug out the shoulder side too!  (I'm guessing they guessed on how deep to gouge the roads to make your tire rumble... )
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1107 on: March 09, 2018, 07:07:22 PM »

They still use the bitumen although it's pumped into the green machine and applied just ahead of the rejuvenated road surface.

The 'cement' they were talking about was literally a white dust or liquid and they apply (they even note that the depth is critical and it is computer controlled).  It appears necessary because this is a 'cold process' as opposed to when they haul it away to re-process it.  It appears this 'cement' or binder agent is important to hold everything together because of the 'no heat' process.

Watch the video...

you might learn something!!!

Learn what?  It's a standard carbide tooth wheel miller with a mixing attachment far as I can see and...it does nothing for the road base and it's the base that fails, not the surface.  You can cut the top off but if you don't rebuild the base, it's a waste.  Why do you think that when 75 was redone this last time, the contractors took out the surface, then pulled the base and did the drainage work before replacing the base and top?  That is how you do it if you want it to last a decade.  The only way.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1108 on: March 09, 2018, 07:08:39 PM »

I have a good solution that works for me.  I drive as little as possible in the winter and spring.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1109 on: March 10, 2018, 08:28:13 AM »

Learn what? It's a standard carbide tooth wheel miller with a mixing attachment far as I can see and...it does nothing for the road base and it's the base that fails, not the surface.  You can cut the top off but if you don't rebuild the base, it's a waste.  Why do you think that when 75 was redone this last time, the contractors took out the surface, then pulled the base and did the drainage work before replacing the base and top?  That is how you do it if you want it to last a decade.  The only way.

You would have learned that the 'cement' is added to the road surface ahead of the carbide cutter in this 'new' process.  This has absolutely nothing to do with process of adding the 'bitumen' between the road base and the rejuvenated material.

You are also missing an important point I made when I first posted:

What I do see as a downside to using this machine is I don't see any way for them to add any more base to the road. That is what most of the roads in the county need is more base.  With a stronger base the surface would last longer.

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76   Go Up