MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > The Monroe County Road Commission; the good, the bad, and the ugly!!!

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Monroe County Road Commission; the good, the bad, and the ugly!!!  (Read 53280 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: The Monroe County Road Commission; the good, the bad, and the ugly!!!
« Reply #1110 on: March 10, 2018, 08:31:15 AM »

I haven't been down Telegraph south of town in a while - how are the center line speed bumps they carved out of brand new road holding up   ;)   

They may have to run that machine up and down those sections - as they also dug out the shoulder side too!  (I'm guessing they guessed on how deep to gouge the roads to make your tire rumble... )

One stretch of road seemed to go bad early on and I really haven't seen much more deterioration.  I read somewhere that this stretch was an experiment so not sure if it's been a pass or a fail. 
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1111 on: March 10, 2018, 08:33:42 AM »

Bottom line here is...

The roads suck and all the fancy-dan machinery bought won't improve them without a mass infusion of funding and the only way that happens is an increase in taxes and that is the unpopular avenue for many reasons.

Now, if the legislature became fiscally responsible instead of irresponsible, the funding would be there.  It's already there, problem is, they piss it away.

Take the MCCA fund and do the roads, plenty enough there for a damn good start.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1112 on: March 11, 2018, 07:25:38 PM »

The MCRC is putting their 'extra' $1M toward bridges and culverts. 

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20180311/pothole-frustrations-surround-monroe-county

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1113 on: July 11, 2018, 08:40:20 PM »

This really isn't a complaint against the MCRC because I don't think it's usually their fault but it does involve the roads they maintain.

Maybe a question for Mav or a suggestion...

Does the MCRC have any means to convey to the public utility companies (in this particular case it was Michigan Gas Utilities) when and where a road will be getting new pavement?

They've been doing some work on our road (not clear to our place yet but maybe "next year if we have the money") and last Friday Gerken showed up and put down a couple of miles of paving plus paved the intersections out several feet so everything was nice and smooth. 

Whenever I see any new pavement anywhere I always wonder just how long it will be and who and why someone will end up cutting a hole in the asphalt and then doing a half donkeyed job of patching it so there's a 'hole or a bump' in the road forever.  Saturday Gerken worked overtime to finish all the drive approaches and the minor details.  No new holes for one day.  Sunday no one did anything.

Monday morning (the 3rd day of no holes) and a MGU crew showed up.  There's a cross at the corner that has emergency shutoff valves that are supposed to be somewhat accessible so there's a plate in the road maybe 8-9-10 inches and then a tube that keeps the dirt clear of the valve which is a few feet down in the ground.  Since there's a cross at this point there are two valves and two plates.

I remember seeing the original plates 10-15 years ago when one of the road commission motor graders was widening the sweep to the corner and filling the ditch.  The grader got a hold of the plates and out they came.  They laid there in the ditch for years but I haven't seen them now for several years either. 

So, MGU hasn't had time to do the job for 10 years but 3 days after the new asphalt goes down they show up and rip out a couple of square feet of the 3 day old asphalt.  At least the asphalt hadn't set up very solid so it was easy digging. 

Maybe the good news is the 'first hole' is really out of the way and at the edge of the road :) :) :)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1114 on: July 11, 2018, 09:28:51 PM »

Years ago in the City there was an employee that won a "suggestion" award -  along the same lines...  they contacted all the various parties to see if anything was in the works before laying down a new roadway. 

You'd think it would be like a miss dig thing...
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75]   Go Up