MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Religion & Philosophy > Let's Talk Scripture

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's Talk Scripture  (Read 3500 times)

FScott12345

• Super Talker
Let's Talk Scripture
« on: January 23, 2014, 01:56:25 PM »

Yet another topic inspired by a post in another area.  I welcome all people to come here and debate the scripture of the bible.  If the Christian God is infallible surely there is nothing but consistency.....
1984 was a warning not a guide.

ussoccer26

• Hero Talker
Re: Let's Talk Scripture
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 06:00:25 PM »

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”  -Richard Dawkins

I could have put it in my own words, but Richard Dawkins does it so much better.
Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 06:34:19 PM »

I think whoever wrote that dwelled on the wrong things.

I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

ussoccer26

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 07:09:06 PM »

You can't ignore all that bad stuff that happened in the Bible though. Why does god get a free pass?
Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 08:01:35 PM »

What does the scripture say about Mary Magdalene, and would she be able to run for City Council and not be bashed?
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

sammy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 08:47:04 PM »

What does the scripture say about Mary Magdalene, and would she be able to run for City Council and not be bashed?
Then, no. Now, maybe so.

ussoccer26

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 10:19:28 PM »

Good question. I don't think she would….

ussoccer26

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 12:11:08 PM »

I think whoever wrote that dwelled on the wrong things.

Going back to that quote really quickly, do you really think Dawkins focused on the wrong things? How many has god killed and for what real purpose? Estimates range anywhere between 2.8 million - 25 million just from biblical times.

http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com/2010/04/drunk-with-blood-gods-killings-in-bible.html

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 09:29:04 AM »

Going back to that quote really quickly, do you really think Dawkins focused on the wrong things? How many has god killed and for what real purpose? Estimates range anywhere between 2.8 million - 25 million just from biblical times.

I suppose that if I wanted to participate in this conversation, which I don't, a good place to start to answer the question would be to read "Dawkins" or have a clue of who he is.

I'll take a pass on that.  Without doing so to answer your question would be foolhardy - don't you think?

By the way - I generally say God with a Capital G when referring to the one true God who is capable if killing between 2.8 million - 25 million just from Biblical times.  You wouldn't want to go pissing him off I wouldn't think if you look at him as a vengeful jealous God - which by the way he does claim to be.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

ussoccer26

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 05:10:25 PM »

I suppose that if I wanted to participate in this conversation, which I don't, a good place to start to answer the question would be to read "Dawkins" or have a clue of who he is.

I'll take a pass on that.  Without doing so to answer your question would be foolhardy - don't you think?

By the way - I generally say God with a Capital G when referring to the one true God who is capable if killing between 2.8 million - 25 million just from Biblical times.  You wouldn't want to go pissing him off I wouldn't think if you look at him as a vengeful jealous God - which by the way he does claim to be.

If you don't want to participate then I understand. I'm not trying to be spiteful nor disrespectful towards anyone on the forum. I just like to engage in debates, civil ones, from time to time.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 06:43:35 AM »

If you don't want to participate then I understand. I'm not trying to be spiteful nor disrespectful towards anyone on the forum. I just like to engage in debates, civil ones, from time to time.

I understand.  So do I.  I didn't detect any spite or disrespect.  I just didn't want to research Dawkins - and arguing against him without doing so would be..... 

It would be hard to say that God didn't kill his fair share during the Old Testament, but that certainly wasn't the main message to be taken from the Old Testament - but not a bad one to keep in the back of your mind.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson
Pages: [1]   Go Up