MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > How far can Snyder and crew kick the can on a 'new' road funding formula?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: How far can Snyder and crew kick the can on a 'new' road funding formula?  (Read 16311 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: How far can Snyder and crew kick the can on a 'new' road funding formula?
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2014, 11:05:52 AM »

Politico's 'think' they are special.  They aren't.

BTW, what rock is Granny under now???

Last I heard she moved out of Michigan...

she said the potholes were too rough on her car ;) ;) ;)
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2014, 09:30:37 PM »

Since last week, I've been hauling oversize loads uo !-75 from Ohio to Monroe and I must say that because they are permitted, I'm obligated, by law, to run I-75.  The road north of the Ohio line is a test of the trucks suspension as well as my securement of these loads....

Empty, I always come back to LaPlasince to Dunbar and down Dixie.  Much smoother in comparison to I-75... and the truck has air suspension on every axle too.

I can't imagine how rough it would be with leaf springs instead of air bags..... ;D

Saw in the Mullet Wrapper tonite and editorial comment to Ray Kisonas' article about the new I-75 proposed corridor and the 'landscaping'.....  Another irate citizen expounding about the piss poor roads and forget about 'landscaping'.  I agree.  Hell with the landscaping, fis the roads.....
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2014, 09:37:25 PM »

That is no doubt a screwed up, rough stretch of road through there.

I had to pick up 75 today at Dixie Highway and run it north to the Auburn Hills area, and then back.  It really is noticeably worse in Monroe County....both lanes.  There are some rough spots through Wayne and Oakland County but didn't seem near as bad in terms of frequency.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2014, 09:42:05 PM »

Considering that I75 is the most heavily travelled Interstate in the country and the roadbed in Monroe County is basically built on a floodplain, my hat is off to John Carlo, the last contractor to rework the road and that was over 30 years ago. 

I'm amazed it's lasted as long as it has, but it's useful life is up and has been for a while now and Snyder is kicking the can on a total rebuild...as usual.

Lansing needs to quit postulating and spend some cash on roadwork.

T-M-T

• Hero Talker
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2014, 09:56:03 PM »

In Snyder's defense, he laid out a plan for the roads long ago.  The Republican-heavy legislature won't pass his proposal or offer any alternatives.

If you elect a majority of Republicans who run on "anti-big government" platforms, you really shouldn't wonder why the State's infrastructure is crumbling.

Maybe we should give the rich some more tax cuts so they can afford more homes out-of-state where they can go to avoid the potholes.  I know I spend more time away since the Repubs slashed business taxes and put more money in my pocket. Sorry, retirees, but I guess I need it more than you, being a "job creator" and all.

Hopefully the tens of thousands of "reminders" on our roads will help Michiganders be a little smarter at the polls next time.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2014, 08:11:25 AM »

LOL,  some think it happened because of Politics...

What was Granny's road plan?

The fact is that there is no "PLAN"...
at the level that is supposed to be doing the job

Every "government unit" claims they need more $$...

Throwing $$ at it won't solve the problem - it only puts lipstick on the pig.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2014, 08:50:03 AM »

LOL,  some think it happened because of Politics...

What was Granny's road plan?

The fact is that there is no "PLAN"...
at the level that is supposed to be doing the job

Every "government unit" claims they need more $$...

Throwing $$ at it won't solve the problem - it only puts lipstick on the pig.

I agree with the lipstick idea...

but we can't fill potholes with lipstick either...

At some point we need to actually fix the roads.

Which is a better 'long term investment'...

paying more taxes that so many are absolutely opposed to...

or putting on tires and struts and springs wheels and (the list goes on)...

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2014, 02:22:25 PM »

Michigan has one of the worst truck-weight laws in the nation. Currently, we allow trucks with a gross vehicle weight up to 164,000 lbs. on our roads. By comparison, Ohio and Indiana have much stricter laws that only allow trucks with a gross weight 80,000 or less, which is in line with federal regulations. Michigan is able to go above federal regulations due to "grandfather clauses" in the federal law. If not for the grandfather clauses, Michigan would be subject to loss of its entire National Highway System apportionment for allowing trucks in excess of 80,000 lbs. to travel on interstate highways.

Most studies suggest that increased axle load as opposed gross vehicle weight is the biggest culprit contributing to road damage. Thus, many states, including Michigan, have enacted laws that limit gross weight based on the number and spacing combination of the axles on the vehicle. Under our current law, trucks can have a gross vehicle weight of 164,000 and a maximum of 11 axles. To reduce wear and tear on road surfaces, many states have strictly regulated the pounds of pressure per square inch measured where the tire meets the road. Again, Michigan law is more liberal than Ohio law in this regard. We allow trucks to put up to 700 pounds of tire pressure per square inch on the road surface, versus 650 for Ohio (it's over 7 percent higher in Michigan). While that number may not seem staggering, that's 50 additional pounds of pressure allowed on every single tire for every single truck, every time the truck drives on Michigan roads. The cumulative effects over time will devastate our roads.
http://www.legalnews.com/oakland/1372681
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2014, 11:19:02 PM »

Michigan has one of the worst truck-weight laws in the nation. Currently, we allow trucks with a gross vehicle weight up to 164,000 lbs. on our roads. By comparison, Ohio and Indiana have much stricter laws that only allow trucks with a gross weight 80,000 or less, which is in line with federal regulations. Michigan is able to go above federal regulations due to "grandfather clauses" in the federal law. If not for the grandfather clauses, Michigan would be subject to loss of its entire National Highway System apportionment for allowing trucks in excess of 80,000 lbs. to travel on interstate highways.

Most studies suggest that increased axle load as opposed gross vehicle weight is the biggest culprit contributing to road damage. Thus, many states, including Michigan, have enacted laws that limit gross weight based on the number and spacing combination of the axles on the vehicle. Under our current law, trucks can have a gross vehicle weight of 164,000 and a maximum of 11 axles. To reduce wear and tear on road surfaces, many states have strictly regulated the pounds of pressure per square inch measured where the tire meets the road. Again, Michigan law is more liberal than Ohio law in this regard. We allow trucks to put up to 700 pounds of tire pressure per square inch on the road surface, versus 650 for Ohio (it's over 7 percent higher in Michigan). While that number may not seem staggering, that's 50 additional pounds of pressure allowed on every single tire for every single truck, every time the truck drives on Michigan roads. The cumulative effects over time will devastate our roads.
http://www.legalnews.com/oakland/1372681

Better go check your sources.  WRONG.  Ohio and Indiana allows much more than 80K gross on Pernits, just like Michigan allos it on PERMITS AGAIN.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2014, 11:21:48 PM »

Snyder needs some fiscal responsibility and realignment of funding, not additional taxes.  I'm a solid no vote and so is everyone in our immediater family and we all vote.  Snyder can KMA.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2014, 07:37:11 AM »

Snyder needs some fiscal responsibility and realignment of funding, not additional taxes.  I'm a solid no vote and so is everyone in our immediater family and we all vote.  Snyder can KMA.

Yep!  I am a solid no too.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2014, 08:24:37 AM »

I'm voting yes just to be obstinate.

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2014, 12:05:51 PM »

Well written and to the point, several points in fact.   8*

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2015, 09:40:09 AM »

Some more thoughts on this issue...

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/27772814/skubick-3-questions-about-hiking-the-sales-tax-to-fix-the-roads

I see there is some discussion going on about raising the federal fuel taxes too...

will that have an impact on how voters react to this ballot proposal in Michigan?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20   Go Up