MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Pets > Diabetic Dog Treats

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diabetic Dog Treats  (Read 2005 times)

CatLady

• Hero Talker
Diabetic Dog Treats
« on: February 23, 2014, 03:10:16 PM »

Our 5 year old dog was diagnosed with diabetes.  She's on insulin, special diet, etc. but she's always had treats.  I found little to no prepared diabetic dog treats so I make my own.  Is anyone else in this situation?  Do you have recipes to share?
I'm trying to like people but it's hard to get past the STUPID ones!

“I've never had a humble opinion in my life. If you're going to have one, why bother to be humble about it?”
Joan Baez

Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Diabetic Dog Treats
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 06:00:02 PM »

Interesting question CatLady...

We've never really done much with making our own treats.  My wife has bought them a few times from a gal that makes her own.  She found them up at the Clinton Fall Festival but we may still have her name.  I'd think just making your own is going to cut back on some of the worst ingredients anyway.  You may just have to take some of the recipes and try substituting some ingredients and see if she'll still eat them!

Just asked my wife about the dog treat people up at Clinton and she said the last time she talked to them they were in the process of retiring...  I'll keep my eyes open though.  Good luck with her!!!
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 06:59:10 PM »

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 08:28:27 PM »

She could try a few of my cats as treats!

Good luck.....I know I have heard people talk about dogs with diabetes, but never paid much attention to what they feed them.  If I hear it again I will ask though.

Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 08:36:13 PM »

Kind of a long story about the diabetic pup (who just happens to be my pup btw) but she was gaining weight even though I was walking her a lot and she got to blimp size and she started drinking lots of water and whizzing constantly so Ms. Cat lady took her to the vet and guess what...

She gets injections twice a day now and she's dropped huge weight.  She actually weighs what she's supposed to plus she's her old self...  out eating cat poop and causing issues..... ;D
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

CatLady

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 08:55:43 PM »

Thanks, BRD. My research shows dogs in the wild don't eat more that 14% of their diet in carbohydrates...and my experience with my aunt taught me carbs are VERY BAD for diabetics.  My vet says dogs don't need any carbs.  Anyway, I developed a number of recipes that most dogs like...and since tofu has no taste (IMO), I make peanut butter tofu balls, bacon (turkey bacon) tofu balls, hamburger (veggie crumbles) tofu balls, garlic/parsley tofu balls.  The pumpkin carrot cookies are very popular and pumpkin aids in digestion.  Probably the number one favorite is turkey meatballs and my homemade chicken jerky.  I am willing to share recipes if you or your wife would like to try some healthy treats.

And sorry, Fuzz, she loves cats...but not to eat.  They sleep in her bed, on top of her, eat her food, bite her tail and she sniffs their butts in return.  Fair exchange, I guess.   ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 08:57:56 PM by CatLady »

“I've never had a humble opinion in my life. If you're going to have one, why bother to be humble about it?”
Joan Baez

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 08:56:31 PM »

All joking aside, isn't it amazing what we do for our pets.  I know Sadie's heart worm deal cost a few bucks, and those shots the vet gives the cats once a month that makes them puke can't be real cheap either.

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

CatLady

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 09:00:42 PM »

What I found interesting that she gets human insulin using human needles but she has to pay tax and people don't.  Plus dogs don't have to have a prescription for insulin.  Guess they figure you won't use it on yourself if you don't need it.  But I still have to decline counseling for her when I pick up her insulin.  Maybe one time I'll take her in and they can counsel her while she tries to lick their face.   :o

Joan Baez

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 09:04:08 PM »

Thanks, BRD. My research shows dogs in the wild don't eat more that 14% of their diet in carbohydrates...and my experience with my aunt taught me carbs are VERY BAD for diabetics.  My vet says dogs don't need any carbs.  Anyway, I developed a number of recipes that most dogs like...and since tofu has no taste (IMO), I make peanut butter tofu balls, bacon (turkey bacon) tofu balls, hamburger (veggie crumbles) tofu balls, garlic/parsley tofu balls.  The pumpkin carrot cookies are very popular and pumpkin aids in digestion.  Probably the number one favorite is turkey meatballs and my homemade chicken jerky.  I am willing to share recipes if you or your wife would like to try some healthy treats.

And sorry, Fuzz, she loves cats...but not to eat.  They sleep in her bed, on top of her, eat her food, bite her tail and she sniffs their butts in return.  Fair exchange, I guess.   ;D

I did find this...  my wife uses this site all the time and most of their stuff is pretty good:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/diabetic-dog-treats/

I'm type 2 diabetic and the carbs are the worst by all means.  Interesting that dogs don't need any at all though! 

I'd like to be there when you take her in for the counseling.

Do they have to have a paw print or do you have power of attorney ;) ;) ;)
What I found interesting that she gets human insulin using human needles but she has to pay tax and people don't.  Plus dogs don't have to have a prescription for insulin.  Guess they figure you won't use it on yourself if you don't need it.  But I still have to decline counseling for her when I pick up her insulin.  Maybe one time I'll take her in and they can counsel her while she tries to lick their face.   :o

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 09:07:42 PM »

I'd like to be a cat counselor specializing in electroshock therapy.  Buying a taser wouldn't be that much of an initial capital investment.

CatLady

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 09:14:04 PM »

Sorry, Fuzz.  With your anti-cat vibes, you'd never get close enough to use a taser! 8)

BRD, I tried the allrecipes liver treats but the blood and smell were too much for me.  Chicken livers work just as well without the blood and smell.  When I first started looking for recipes I found one for oatmeal cookies with RAISINS!  Raisins and grapes are toxic to dogs, causing renal failure.  That's when I decided to come up with my own recipes.

Joan Baez

Pages: [1]   Go Up