MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > Credit Issue..

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Credit Issue..  (Read 4280 times)

Zdart

• Active Talker
Credit Issue..
« on: February 27, 2014, 06:28:19 PM »

Don't know where to post this, but here goes...Does anybody have any input/suggestions/direction on what to do if someone fraudulently opens a credit card in your name and it ends up on your credit report? My initial guess would be that I have the burden of proof that it is fraudulent, but certainly, there is some kind of consumer protection...or am I way off? This perturbs me..

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
Re: Credit Issue..
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 06:37:38 PM »

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Z!

Should be a good, informative thread as I am curious because I wouldn't know immediately what to do either.

Good luck.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

Zdart

• Active Talker
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 06:41:19 PM »

Thank you, Fuzz..ya don't think it'll happen, but now it has. I can't see a lender doing the legwork as far as proving fraud. This may get "fun", but my guess is no. There are a lot of well-informed and well-educated people who post here, and I respect and appreciate that...hence, me posting.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 06:47:10 PM »

Don't know where to post this, but here goes...Does anybody have any input/suggestions/direction on what to do if someone fraudulently opens a credit card in your name and it ends up on your credit report? My initial guess would be that I have the burden of proof that it is fraudulent, but certainly, there is some kind of consumer protection...or am I way off? This perturbs me..

I have no idea but the first thing I'd do is mail (by registered mail) a letter to the credit card company.  Then 3 more registered letters to the 3 credit reporting companies. Here's a link to their contact info:

http://www.fdic.gov/consumers/consumer/news/cnwin0203/three.html

And then you start a very vigilant 'follow up' until everyone has acknowledged it's NOT your debt!!!

I've heard some real 'horror stories' so wishing you the best :) :) :)
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Zdart

• Active Talker
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 06:51:10 PM »

This seems like a good place to start..thank you, sir. Do you know of a way to acquire free credit reports? I know there is a way to get them annually (without the FreeCreditReport scam); just don't recall the process.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 06:55:22 PM »

This seems like a good place to start..thank you, sir. Do you know of a way to acquire free credit reports? I know there is a way to get them annually (without the FreeCreditReport scam); just don't recall the process.

Poke around on that link and you should find a link.  I know I found a link once to get them all for free...  if it's a place that asks for a credit card then it's not the right one.  I'll see what else I can find.
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

Zdart

• Active Talker
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 06:58:34 PM »

I shall poke around, and thank you, again. :)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 07:07:40 PM »

I shall poke around, and thank you, again. :)

Keep us updated...  I'm sure many of us will need to know this in the future.

Zdart

• Active Talker
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 07:16:01 PM »

I certainly hope not..perhaps I can be the proverbial "Guinnea Pig"   >:(

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
  • 1972 - 1975
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 07:16:43 PM »

This is sad and I think, with the way things are going, it will happen more often. :(  Sorry for your troubles.

Zdart

• Active Talker
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 07:18:36 PM »

My gut feeling is, without legal representation, I will end up eating this....grrr >:( >:(

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 07:23:45 PM »

My gut feeling is, without legal representation, I will end up eating this....grrr >:( >:(

Don't pay one single dollar...  bad enough to pay the registered letter fees but that is for your own protection.  At least it tells them all that you're serious. 

The credit card companies deserve to get burned more than they do.  They send out all these 'pre-approved' applications and I'm guessing that's at least part of what happened.  I shred 'em and then burn 'em and so far  (knocking on the maple table) no problem!

Zdart

• Active Talker
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 07:26:35 PM »

My intent is to keep my dollars..and you are right; it may have been taken from my mail or whatnot. It seems strange that it took less than 2 months to go to collection. Doesn't that seem strange?

AtypicalGirl

• Hero Talker
  • My handsome boy! :)
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 07:30:27 PM »

I had to deal with something similar when I had just turned 18.

I wanted to take my graduation money and open a bank account, but they kept telling me I owed another bank a ton of money for writing bad checks. I explained to them I couldn't have because I never had a bank account, and they just kept arguing with me, telling me I was lying. I stuck around there until they would give me some answers. They couldn't tell me who, but a person in a state out west used my social security number.

I had to go through ChexSystems to clear my name. It turned out, the bank that entered his SSN mixed up two of the numbers, and it just so happened the result was my SSN.

I'm sorry I don't have any useful information for you. I know how it feels when someone has stolen from you. I truly hope you can get this figured out in your favor!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 07:37:52 PM »

My debit and credit cards are VISA and are issued by my credit union. Maybe all cards aren't and some are direct with the card company,  I don't know.
But if you can find out which financial institution is on the card I'd start there.
I've had people scam my credit card and use it at Itunes.  VISA wiped off the charges and i had to sign a document saying I'd prosecute if they caught the criminal.  Someone using my card isn't much different than someone getting a new card issued in your name.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up