MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Snyder, flip flops on internet sales tax.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snyder, flip flops on internet sales tax.  (Read 1550 times)

toobad

• Hero Talker
Snyder, flip flops on internet sales tax.
« on: March 03, 2014, 10:20:44 AM »

Force an internet sales tax to be collected by retailers. >:(

We should force his *** out of office! 8)

http://bainreport.wordpress.com/

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: Snyder, flip flops on internet sales tax.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 10:26:47 AM »

You don't like how they are using the "fairness" term?

How it is only "fair" to Main Street to tax the internet?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 11:20:16 AM »

I'm shocked that someone doesn't want to pay taxes   ;D
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 11:32:09 AM »

I worked on my taxes yesterday.....

I'm sure everyone remembered to claim all of their use tax on their out of state purchases and internet purchases that didn't have a sales tax at or above 6% - right?  Its not like it isn't the law of Michigan already that we owe tax on all that stuff we buy.  All the treasurer is encouraging is actually COLLECTING what the legislature says is due.

In that regard I would say the Executive Branch and Treasurer are doing their jobs.  They aren't making new laws here - the law already exists - all of that stuff is already taxed - and when you fill out your income tax form you are supposed to declare what it is you owe.

Or did you just check the box that you didn't do any of those things and didn't need to pay?

;)
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 09:20:42 AM »

I worked on my taxes yesterday.....

I'm sure everyone remembered to claim all of their use tax on their out of state purchases and internet purchases that didn't have a sales tax at or above 6% - right?  Its not like it isn't the law of Michigan already that we owe tax on all that stuff we buy.  All the treasurer is encouraging is actually COLLECTING what the legislature says is due.

In that regard I would say the Executive Branch and Treasurer are doing their jobs.  They aren't making new laws here - the law already exists - all of that stuff is already taxed - and when you fill out your income tax form you are supposed to declare what it is you owe.

Or did you just check the box that you didn't do any of those things and didn't need to pay?

;)

I wonder if they have any solid figures on the amount of use tax collected via 'honestly filling in the form'?

I'll bet Google could tell them within a few dollars how much you actually bought out of state via the interweb 8* 8* 8*
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 09:32:03 AM »

I have no doubt several sources could verify that some of us buy stuff online from sources that don't charge sales tax.

Amazon is probably a HUGE
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 12:06:46 PM »

I'm quite certain that all the liberals here are applauding this idea. After all, they are the ones that typically claim that they would gladly pay more taxes.  And I'm SURE that those same people ALWAYS claim their use tax owed on out of state purchases, when they file their taxes.  Right?
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

lilly

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 02:49:40 PM »

I'm quite certain that all the liberals here are applauding this idea. After all, they are the ones that typically claim that they would gladly pay more taxes.  And I'm SURE that those same people ALWAYS claim their use tax owed on out of state purchases, when they file their taxes.  Right?
Yes, just like we know that conservatives are soooooo trustworthy and would never do anything illegal so they must surely pay that tax.

So when is your appearance on the Tonight Show going to be? You're such a comedian. :D
The Republican Party is now a sinkhole of ignorance and bigotry.

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 04:13:08 PM »

Yes, just like we know that conservatives are soooooo trustworthy and would never do anything illegal so they must surely pay that tax.

So when is your appearance on the Tonight Show going to be? You're such a comedian. :D

Hee hee hee!  Welcome back, Lilly!  Haven't seen you in a while!

The difference is that we conservatives typically don't look for ways for people to pay more taxes.  We want to pay fewer taxes.  Conservatives don't say things like, "Taxes should be raised!  We need more tax revenue to fund our roads/schools/bridges/farms/social programs/food stamps/welfare/housingforpeoplethataretoolazytowork programs!"

Trustworthy?  As a general rule, yes.  Do I pay a use tax?  Hell no!  I don't buy anything out of state!
But I do pay a lot in taxes.  Income taxes, property taxes, personal property taxes, Social Security taxes, Medicare taxes, and capital gain taxes.

So, do YOU buy items online, from other states?
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 04:35:29 PM »

Trustworthy?  As a general rule, yes.  Do I pay a use tax?  Hell no!  I don't buy anything out of state!
But I do pay a lot in taxes.  Income taxes, property taxes, personal property taxes, Social Security taxes, Medicare taxes, and capital gain taxes.

That is my official story too!  But then I have a terrible memory!

;)
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 09:44:50 PM »

Herein lies the issue...

Myself for instance, I sell worldwide via my website.  On my site it plainly states that in state sales are taxed at the State rate of 6% and thats all and good, however, each state is different so each customer that I sell products to would be taxed at a different rate and I'd have to file with each respective state, a state sales tax form and remit to them.  The paperwork would be stupendous and the hassles endless.

Just leave it where it is, on the 'honor' system.  We know no one is honorable anyway when it comes to paying taxes, not you, not me and certainly not Obama. :P

My saving grace (and Live's) is we have whats called a Michigan agricultrial exemption so ag related items are tax exempt anyway and thats a broad brush....
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

ell

• Hero Talker
  • Nothing beats a good paddle
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 11:25:39 PM »

Nope.  But I make very few internet purchases, so bottom line it doesn't impact me personally.  I well remember when you could make large purchases in Toledo, such as furniture, and I think if they delivered it, you didn't wind up paying sales tax.  Not sure of the details, but I remember there was a way around it.  As far as taxes are concerned, I don't mind paying if I see a return.  Not seeing much lately.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 11:31:04 PM by ell »
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thouroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 01:24:40 AM »

Well we paid our SOM online purchase tax...a whole $4

Next year the bite will be considerably larger since we made a somewhat high dollar online purchase recently.

We even claimed some small amounts received from litigation settlements we never sought...we were merely purchasers.

But honesty is the best policy.

I can't stand Snyder but I can't fault a politician for merely trying to level the playing field.
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 10:39:07 PM »

Nope.  But I make very few internet purchases, so bottom line it doesn't impact me personally.  I well remember when you could make large purchases in Toledo, such as furniture, and I think if they delivered it, you didn't wind up paying sales tax.  Not sure of the details, but I remember there was a way around it.  As far as taxes are concerned, I don't mind paying if I see a return.  Not seeing much lately.

We have always bought all our vehicles at Brondes and they just treat it like a Michigan sale but thats a motor vehicle.  I'm not fond of Lucas County's 7% tarrif of goods but gas is cheaper for the most part so my gas all comes from Ohio.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 11:15:02 PM »

We have always bought all our vehicles at Brondes and they just treat it like a Michigan sale but thats a motor vehicle.  I'm not fond of Lucas County's 7% tarrif of goods but gas is cheaper for the most part so my gas all comes from Ohio.

Our daughter bought her Escape at Mathew's Ford in Oregon and they handled the sales tax just like it was in Michigan.  I'm guessing many of the larger dealers along the state line probably have a sales tax license for Michigan.  I haven't had one for years but back when I did the cost to get it was almost nothing.  It was the filling out the paperwork and sending the thieves their money all the time!  With today's computer programs it would be a lot easier though I'm sure.
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".
Pages: [1]   Go Up