MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Fun & Games > Grammar Police - how to respond?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Grammar Police - how to respond?  (Read 9289 times)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Grammar Police - how to respond?
« on: March 23, 2014, 10:08:13 AM »

I'm sure we can all find something fun to reply with...  ;D

First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: Grammar Police - how to respond?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 10:29:47 AM »

I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 10:39:14 AM »

I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 10:44:04 AM »

Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 10:52:23 AM »

My grammar is terrible and I constantly have to look at "tenses" every time I use them.  I've been known to butcher the English language at work and if there is one thing I wish I had improved on during my working years is that.

It reflects poorly.....even to someone who doesn't have a firm grip on it anyway.  Not knocking anyone at all, but in order to try and improve myself I look for it.

I appreciate seeing others corrected  ;D, it kind of cracks me up.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 11:05:57 AM »

If the enforcement was uniform it would be one thing.

It seems like some get a free pass, while others get targeted for special education.

That makes me think the goal is to belittle - not to educate or improve.

It is a bullying tactic.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 11:11:19 AM »

It seems like some get a free pass, while others get targeted for special education.

That makes me think the goal is to belittle - not to educate or improve.

Didn't say that it wasn't, but I find a little humor in it regardless.  Jabs are sometimes humorous......hell, I grin when I get them.  Some take things way too personally, but that is human nature and I understand.  Hell, I raised two daughters too....jabbing each other made us tougher and brought a lot of laughs.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

T-M-T

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 11:24:39 AM »

I wouldn't criticize someone for using poor spelling or grammar on the lighter threads, but I find it funny when someone like toobad, who often comments on education, makes glaring mistakes that give away the fact that he's just not very bright. 

The way we communicate on a forum like this is through our writing.  If your writing is poor and you can't communicate clearly, chances are you don't think clearly either. 

Maybe only a few of us "grammar police" bring up the subject, but everyone who reads the forum is provided a huge insight into the intelligence of anyone who posts.

Try to deflect with all the funny pictures you want, but every time toobad misspells simple words and butchers sentences, we get insight into his lack of intelligence.  Prof and Will can tell us they went to college, but when they insert apostrophes into every plural word, they display their ignorance for all to read. My sixth grader knows enough not to do that.

When Kopke or MN try to articulate their thoughts, yet show us repeatedly that they don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" and don't even have the ability to communicate on a fourth grade level, we get clues about their level of education and their intelligence.

Nobody's forcing anyone to post, obviously, but know that when you choose to do so, you are handing out obvious clues.

Do I think I'm better than those that have less command of the English language?  Absolutely not.  Are people like Monique, ducksoup, lilly and frenchfry more intelligent than those who choose to demonstrate that they can't even write a simple sentence?  Many on here don't want to hear it, but the answer is: Yes!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 11:32:05 AM »

Okay - uniforms...  enforcement...

I'm ready to submit  ;D

First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 11:39:58 AM »

I wouldn't criticize someone for using poor spelling or grammar on the lighter threads, but I find it funny when someone like toobad, who often comments on education, makes glaring mistakes that give away the fact that he's just not very bright. 

The way we communicate on a forum like this is through our writing.  If your writing is poor and you can't communicate clearly, chances are you don't think clearly either. 

Maybe only a few of us "grammar police" bring up the subject, but everyone who reads the forum is provided a huge insight into the intelligence of anyone who posts.

Try to deflect with all the funny pictures you want, but every time toobad misspells simple words and butchers sentences, we get insight into his lack of intelligence.  Prof and Will can tell us they went to college, but when they insert apostrophes into every plural word, they display their ignorance for all to read. My sixth grader knows enough not to do that.

When Kopke or MN try to articulate their thoughts, yet show us repeatedly that they don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" and don't even have the ability to communicate on a fourth grade level, we get clues about their level of education and their intelligence.

Nobody's forcing anyone to post, obviously, but know that when you choose to do so, you are handing out obvious clues.

Do I think I'm better than those that have less command of the English language?  Absolutely not.  Are people like Monique, ducksoup, lilly and frenchfry more intelligent than those who choose to demonstrate that they can't even write a simple sentence?  Many on here don't want to hear it, but the answer is: Yes!

Thus my posting in a separate thread
add humor
and to raise the issue without pointing fingers at any individual

I don't have an issue with my posts being corrected
Most often it comes from typing too fast

Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 12:32:48 PM »

Congrats TMT.

You guys are better at English than others are.  Gee - did I use the write than, or should it have Ben then?  Who no's?

Does that mean you are smarter and more intelligent at every subject under the sun?

The answer is:  No!

If your answer was YES then English Majors would be the highest paid major that Universities matriculate.

I have news for you.  They are not.

So keep telling yourself you are smarter.  Hope it makes you feel good!

I suggest you read for the content, instead of proof reading posts, and telling yourself because you found a grammatical error and a misspelled word this person obviously doesn't have a point worth considering.

Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

TLaitur

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 01:30:49 PM »

May I suggest that you just ignore it; or put the poster on ignore.

Hearshear

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 01:40:47 PM »

A grown man should never cry "bully".

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 01:54:14 PM »

A grown man should never cry "bully".

Wouldn't it be nice if that was true?

No "War on Women?"

No "War on _______?"  (Fill In the BLANK).

It seems as if an entire party is built around crying "BULLY!"  when it suits them.

Personally I don't care what tactics are used.  It would be nicer to talk around the subject matter though instead of the distractions.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Debimark

• Super Talker
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 02:23:38 PM »

Oh Deer, more folks concerned about word useages. When someone i know is having a hard time understanding something, or just feeling blue, I hug them and say "There, Their, They're" and it makes everything seem better.

With the advent of texting, the Language (as we know it) has become butchered and disemvoweled to an extent that even Samuel Webster could not have imagined.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up